Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!! - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #931
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why don't you go read the Republican Convention thread instead of making self-righteous, self-serving judgments about others.
It's not your place to tell him where he can and can't post.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #932
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It's not your place to tell him where he can and can't post.

did you read my post in that thread? the post that came before MI's obnoxious accusation?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #933
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynIris View Post
How dare they bring up stuff that has nothing to do with qualifications for being president!
Being a POW does have nothing to do with being qualified to be president. There have been thousands upon thousands of POW's during our country's many wars. I honor their service and bravery, and I'm grateful for all that came out alive, including John McCain. Very few would have the qualifications necessary to become president and be able to handle all the situations and complicated issues our country faces. That being said, I don't think anyone would mind McCain's POW experience being talked about at the GOP convention. It's a part of his story, and like all conventions, the story of the nominee is one of the biggest parts.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #934
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Being a POW does have nothing to do with being qualified to be president. There have been thousands upon thousands of POW's during our country's many wars. I honor their service and bravery, and I'm grateful for all that came out alive, including John McCain. Very few would have the qualifications necessary to become president and be able to handle all the situations and complicated issues our country faces. That being said, I don't think anyone would mind McCain's POW experience being talked about at the GOP convention. It's a part of his story, and like all conventions, the story of the nominee is one of the biggest parts.

will you stop with your distinctions, nuance, and understanding?

it keeps the Republicans from being able to view their opponents as communist sympathizers who eat aborted babies for breakfast.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #935
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
will you stop with your distinctions, nuance, and understanding?

it keeps the Republicans from being able to view their opponents as communist sympathizers who eat aborted babies for breakfast.
Sorry. I always forget to turn off the button in my mind that allows me to form logical, rational thoughts. It would make life so much easier if I did, though.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #936
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
did you read my post in that thread? the post that came before MI's obnoxious accusation?
Sure, but I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM   #937
Refugee

Quote:
Being a POW does have nothing to do with being qualified to be president. There have been thousands upon thousands of POW's during our country's many wars. I honor their service and bravery, and I'm grateful for all that came out alive, including John McCain. Very few would have the qualifications necessary to become president and be able to handle all the situations and complicated issues our country faces. That being said, I don't think anyone would mind McCain's POW experience being talked about at the GOP convention. It's a part of his story, and like all conventions, the story of the nominee is one of the biggest parts
Laughable.

This should be in the Republican convention thread BTW, don't you think?

Exactly what experience does qualify someone for president? Because the life experiences of these folks, to me, seem the most important of all. It's who they are, and bears GREAT, GREAT influence on their decisions related to such matters as... let's say...

war.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #938
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
erm, is it just Democrats who are talking about this? it seems it's the Republicans who are on TV "defending" the pick and explaining away the drip-drip-drip of strangeness.

and it's only been 72 hours.

did the McCain campaign not see this coming? i thought she was thoroughly vetted?

it is interesting to note, the McCain campaign is lashing out at CNN for simply asking for a single example of Palin commanding the Alaska National Guard — as retribution, they pulled McCain off Larry King tonight.

I don't know that I'm fair and biased but she was clearly just trying to ask him a question.

"retribution" = ?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #939
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Sure, but I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

firstly, it seems more appropriate to talk about the RNC in the RNC thread.

but in that thread i wrote a post specifically about McCain's POW experience, and then we get another sweeping conservative generalization that's inaccurate, and also offensive.

i was personally offended by MI's post, as if i'd mock the actual experience of being a POW -- which is entirely distinct from using the status of being a POW as both a reason in and of itself to be CIC and as a justification/explanation for everything in one's life.

these are distinctions that have been made, consistently, and at length, by the "Obama supporters" who've called out McCain using his POW status to talk about his 7 houses. and still, we get these histrionics.

it's frustrating and, yes, offensive.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #940
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Laughable.

Exactly what experience does qualify someone for president? Because the life experiences of these folks, to me, seem the most important of all. It's who they are, and bears GREAT, GREAT influence on their decisions related to such matters as... let's say...

war.

i'll say it again. being a POW in and of itself is not a qualification for being president.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #941
Refugee

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Quote:
I frankly am one of those conservatives that is sick and tired of it... every time I turn on the TV. I don't know what democratic punk pundit they had on CNN tonight before the convention, but he was like... "this is a story that won't go away".

Such BS.
I'm anything but a "Conservative" or "Republican" although on the issue of abortion I am pro-choice-but...meaning I don't think they should overturn Roe v Wade BUT at the same time all sides should always ENCOURAGE ADOPTION OVER ABORTION...Having said that, I'm anything but conservative or Republican and this stuff is starting to really bug me...what I mean is if I'm feeling towards this woman then how many folks in middle America are??? This quite possibly could tear the Democrats apart. The only sane Democrat seems to be Obama himself.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #942
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Laughable.

war.
Certainly not being in a war. What experience qualifies someone to be president, the biggest and most powerful job in our government? Oh, I don't know, maybe actually having served in government? If being in a war makes one qualifed to be president, than my grandfather and my great uncles should've been nominated years ago. They all served our country heroically, and 2 of my uncles even went blind during World War II, and they were all injured, though not severely, in some capacity. I wouldn't want any of them being president. Having fought in a war certainly doesn't mean you're capable of running one, or running the country. By your logic, no one should ever bother to run unless they've served in the military. That's absolutely ludicrous. Franklin Roosevelt never joined the military. He is one of our best presidents and was an excellent Commander in Chief of our troops during World War II. Ulysses S. Grant was a general during the Civil War and was one of our worst presidents. One has nothing to do with the other.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #943
Refugee

Quote:
If being in a war makes one qualifed to be president, than my grandfather and my great uncles should've been nominated years ago.
We're coming from two far corners of the universe U2isbest. I don't understand why you keep saying this. I'm talking about experience, as in what you learn from it, and apply to your life. If you don't get that... then I hope you never have to hire anyone.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #944
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
How many conservatives to do we have in FYM? 8?
I'd probably be considered "centrist," except being gay and secular automatically means "far left" in U.S. politics. My Canadian friends already view me as "center right," at the very least, if not "conservative" by their standards, although that isn't very empirical frankly.

Guaranteed, though, if the GOP stopped being so downright bigoted and anti-intellectual, I think there would be more gay Republicans. As it stands, though, I really don't have any serious options outside of the Democratic Party, and so it doesn't do me any good to even contemplate voting Republican. I'm generally scared of most Republican elected officials, although, frankly, most of the "Blue Dog" Democrats are equally frightening to me.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #945
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
This quite possibly could tear the Democrats apart. The only sane Democrat seems to be Obama himself.
What are you talking about? What is going to tear the Dems apart? You keep rattling off, but you aren't making sense or addressing the issues that people are bringing up...

Tags
john mccain, sarah palin