Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!! - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #466
Refugee

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Have you not read my previous posts? I'm not just talking about national governing experience. I'm talking about national policy-making experience which to me counts for far more. Obama, Biden, and McCain all have experience making policy decisions on a national level. They've all studied, debated, and voted on issues that affect the entire nation. A governor only focuses on issues that affect his/her state. I'm not saying a governor is inherently unqualified to be president, but until they've proven themselves on a national level through primary and general election campaigns they are at a disadvantage. Bill Clinton, for example, proved through the long campaign process in 1992 that he understood the issues that faced the entire nation and that he was capable of being president. He debated, he created his policies and laid out his plan for the nation. He also is far more highly educated than Palin. I'm not saying she's not intelligent, but a person with a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, who has never studied government or the political system in higher learning, has no business being Commander in Chief.
Just out of curiousity, do you think Abraham Lincoln was qualified to run for President in 1860? His elected office experience at the time was 8 years of being a state representive from sangamon county Illinois with a population of around 10,000 people. He did have some national experience serving in the US House of Representitives from the 7th district in Illinois for just one term of 2 years. 7th district in Illinois at that time had about 25,000 people. He held those positions in the 1830s and 1840s, and held no elected office in government for over 10 years prior to the election of 1860.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #467
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Martha,

I do believe she did something to tax the oil industry to give money back to the people of Alaska, or something....I am not sure....but she did mention something along those lines.
what does "sovereign" mean to you?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #468
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en View Post
right - on the other hand, it may take away the republicans' ability to attack obama, for fear of reprisal on palin.
Obama's experience, or lack thereof, is a bigger issue than Palin's.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #469
ONE
love, blood, life

Sweet heaven...hear the haters are pushing me back to the right. I f'ing hate this place sometimes...

I would say that they have not attacked him on this issue very hard at all.\

God forbid anyone acknowledges the stregnths and weaknesses or something positive about the opposition now....
Old 08-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #470
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
i'm not sure joe voter will make that distinction, if spun correctly.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Sweet heaven...hear the haters are pushing me back to the right. I f'ing hate this place sometimes...

I would say that they have not attacked him on this issue very hard at all.
if referencing my post - i was clearly kidding.

edit: moreover, if anonymous posters on a u2 forum impact your political positions that easily, you may want to consider a new hobby.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The voters in the primary had a choice to reject him, they ended up choosing him over a candidate with 35 (fuzzy math?) years of experience.

The voters will again have a choice in November to be heard on this matter.

Will they have a similar choice re: Palin? Do people vote for the ticket or the nominee alone?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #473
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
i'm not sure joe voter will make that distinction, if spun correctly.
Is it really wise for democrats to try to use experience as a key issue and keep it in the headlines? Those sorts of attacks just reinforce the talking points of the GOP about Obama.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #474
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
if referencing my post - i was clearly kidding.

edit: moreover, if anonymous posters on a u2 forum impact your political positions that easily, you may want to consider a new hobby.
thanks for the free advice....where were u 10,000 posts ago....

no I was not directing it at you and....I some people in here having met them...so not all is anonymous.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #475
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Executive experience is defined as having run a state or a business, right?

A presidential campaign is a business, you know. A business of which the candidate, namely Obama or McCain, is the CEO. They're big businesses with departments for communications/speechwriting, advertising, policy, scheduling, fundraising, etc etc. Each of the departments has a director, usually chosen and appointed by the candidate him/herself. Decisions are made every day, and the biggest/most important ones are no doubt made by the head honcho - the candidate. It's a business and the candidate - Obama or McCain - is running the whole show, has the final say on everything and bears the ultimate responsibility and/or blame for everything.

Considering that this business of Obama's has raised anywhere from 265 to 340 million dollars so far this election cycle(aka since its foundation) and has in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 million dollars on hand right now, and considering it managed to fill a stadium with 84,000 people the other night to support it, and since it has the support of probably 55-60 million people nationwide, and since he has been complimented by many for how well he's run his campaign, I'd say he's doing a hell of a job running this business of his, and since this business will be nearly two years old when all is said and done, I'd say that's some valuable executive experience.

And I don't know the exact numbers for McCain, but if he's still here, I guess he's doing an ok job(though not as good as Obama) running his business too.
Those numbers look nice, but they don't explain why just as recently as last Monday, he was behind by 2 points in the national polls. They certainly won't mean much if he loses in November.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #476
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Well, anyway, one thing that does seem to lend some degree of credence to the posts of the Obama supporters here is the reaction of former Bush speechwriter David Frum:-

John McCain met running mate Sarah Palin just once - Times Online
Bush and McCain can hardly stand to be in a room together and it was nothing aside from political opportunism that has put them in a position of support for one another. I don't find it surprising that supporters in either camp would criticize one another.

Time will tell how Palin represents herself, especially against Biden.

On the question of waste, I am not sure if it was mentioned, but she sold the Governor's jet when she took office as a cost cutting measure.

One thing I find interesting is that she visited her National Guard troops in the middle east almost a year prior to Obama's visit to the region.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #477
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Those numbers look nice, but they don't explain why just as recently as last Monday, he was behind by 2 points in the national polls. They certainly won't mean much if he loses in November.
You miss the point(maybe on purpose). It wasn't just a 'look how great Obama is' post. It was a 'running a presidential campaign IS executive experience' post.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #478
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
i know a die-hard conservative who is not thrilled with the strength of either candidate to begin with, but has been completely turned off by mccain's vp selection, describing it as "purely political." and even though this person "hates" joe biden, said individual would rather have biden directing two wars than a relatively green governor from alaska. this person thought it irresponsible for someone of mccain's age and health (two time skin cancer survivor) to put someone like palin a proverbial heartbeat away from the presidency.

certainly not everyone's opinion, but i doubt that it is completely isolated.
It's an interesting game of chess.

Obama picks Biden in an attempt to take the sting out of lack-of-experience criticisms, but in doing so also neutralises the 'McCain too old to be President' argument.

McCain then picks Palin to neutralise the 'not a true conservative' argument, and, arguably, steal some of the more centrist or conservative-leaning Hillary voters, but in doing so runs the risk of re-opening the 'McCain too old and too many health issues to be President' argument and adds a new twist - 'Are you telling me if McCain dies, the world will be run by a former town major?'. But, the Dems will be wary of raising that line again, lest it re-opens the 'But hold on. Should the world be run by a guy that until 2 years ago was a common-or-garden Illinois state legislator?' angle.

Of course, only the naive would suppose that both sides haven't done all of these calculations many times, but only one side will ultimately prevail.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Is it really wise for democrats to try to use experience as a key issue and keep it in the headlines? Those sorts of attacks just reinforce the talking points of the GOP about Obama.
no, probably not wise at all. but does the gop really want mccain's age and health concerns, along with his inexperienced president-in-waiting, in the headlines either?

i think there is a possibility palin could neutralize the debate over experience. i could be wrong.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #480
ONE
love, blood, life

Tags
john mccain, sarah palin