Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!! - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #361
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post

It's fun to watch the liberals squirm, not knowing how to go after her. They're worried. They realize, though won't admit, that she was brilliant. Please carry on, Irvine and others.
Who is squirming? We're all laughing at you guys. You think she's a maverick, you think this was brilliant, etc...

It was a shortsighted hugely miscalculated move, come October you'll be hating this move. I've already seen the hangover in some conservatives this morning.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:47 AM
I guess the Republican State Senate President over there in Alaska doesn't think much of of Sarah Palin....

Quote:
State Senate President Lyda Green said she thought it was a joke when someone called her at 6 a.m. to give her the news.

"She's not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president?" said Green, a Republican from Palin's hometown of Wasilla. "Look at what she's done to this state. What would she do to the nation?"
Rest.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #363
Refugee

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
also, Palin is:

5. already has a scandal
6. has no interest in foreign policy

Sounds a little like a Governor from Arkansas in 1992.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #364
ONE
love, blood, life

except the gov pycked a decent vp
Old 08-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #365
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Who is squirming? We're all laughing at you guys. You think she's a maverick, you think this was brilliant, etc...

It was a shortsighted hugely miscalculated move, come October you'll be hating this move. I've already seen the hangover in some conservatives this morning.

Why don't wait for some polling to come in next week before you decide that this was a great miscalculation. I think everyone is going to find out that this race is still about the top of the ticket and in a close race provided this turns out to be a net positive for McCain, it could win the election for him.

I can't see Pawlenty or Romney attracting independents and Democrats the way that Palin could. I seriously doubt that many people that are already in McCain's camp are going to abandon him because of this pick. After all, Republicans are far more loyal to their party's positions than Democrats have been in the recent past.

Will have to wait several days for some polling data before we know what the impact of this selection has been.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #366
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
except the gov pycked a decent vp
dread-

u need to shift your paradigm in thinking:

Saturday, August 30, 2008
Sarah Palin has made a good first impression. Before being named as John McCain’s running mate, 67% of voters didn’t know enough about the Alaska governor to have an opinion. After her debut in Dayton and a rush of media coverage, a new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that 53% now have a favorable opinion of Palin while just 26% offer a less flattering assessment.

Palin earns positive reviews from 78% of Republicans, 26% of Democrats and 63% of unaffiliated voters. Obviously, these numbers will be subject to change as voters learn more about her in the coming weeks. Among all voters, 29% have a Very Favorable opinion of Palin while 9% hold a Very Unfavorable view.

By way of comparison, on the day he was selected as Barack Obama’s running mate, Delaware Senator Joseph Biden was viewed favorably by 43% of voters.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #367
Blue Crack Addict

There is a poll already out by Rasmussen.

Quote:
According to fresh data from Rasmussen Reports, Sarah Palin's selection is a mixed bag. Voters have a favorable impression of her by a 53/26 margin; however, by a 29/44 margin, they do not believe that she is ready to be President.

At this stage, it is not clear how impactful her selection will be: 35 percent of voters say they're more likely to vote for McCain with Palin on the ticket, and 33 percent say they're less likely. Indeed, among voters already committed to one or the other candidate, her choice would seem to do little bit entrench partisan feelings: just 6 percent of McCain voters say they're less likely to vote for McCain with Palin on the ticket, while just 9 percent of Obama voters say they're more so. (To see how Joe Biden's numbers compared -- see here. As might be expected, Biden scored better on readiness and worse on personal favorables, with the other numbers being about the same).

What's interesting, however, is that while there is a gender gap in these numbers, it's not the one many observers were anticipating. Rather, along a variety of metrics, men like the Palin choice better than women.

Men have a favorable impression of Palin by a 35-point margin, whereas women have a favorable impression of her by an 18-point margin. Conversely, by a 23-point margin, women do not think Palin is ready to be President, whereas Palin lost this question among men by a considerably smaller 6-point margin.

Why does this gap exist? Don't know, but it may simply be a matter of ideology. Men are generally a bit more conservative than women, and opinions of Palin are very strongly determined by ideology. Conservatives have a favorable impression of her by a 79-8 margin, but this falls to 43-35 among moderates and 26-46 among liberals. Likewise, by a 48-22 margin, conservatives think she's ready to be President, but she loses this question 23-54 among moderates and 9-67 among liberals.
Here.

So I guess all those dumb women who just vote for women meme isn't particularly helpful. She also plays poorly with moderates and independents, which is a group that I thought McCain was targetting.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #368
Refugee

mmmm, positive reviews from 63% of unaffiliated voters. Thats the voting block to watch in the coming days.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #369
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There is a poll already out by Rasmussen.

Here.

So I guess all those dumb women who just vote for women meme isn't particularly helpful. She also plays poorly with moderates and independents, which is a group that I thought McCain was targetting.
Did you read the following sentence?

At this stage, it is not clear how impactful her selection will be

Plus, even if we were to take the poll seriously at this point, its already a net plus for McCain even though its a small one, 35% to 33%. Plus, among the bases, McCain potentially loses 6% of his voters, but potentially pickes up 9% of Obama's supporters. Assuming that each base is roughly equal, thats a nice little net gain for McCain.

First rule in picking a VP is to do no harm. It appears, although its still early, that McCain choice is passing that first test. Second test will be seeing if she can pick up more independents and Democrats than either Pawlenty or Romney could.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #370
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
I can't see Pawlenty or Romney attracting independents and Democrats the way that Palin could.
I've asked you before why she will attract these independents and Democrats and you haven't answered, so I'm not holding my breath...

Like I said, come October you will all be yourselves...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #371
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Did you read the following sentence?

At this stage, it is not clear how impactful her selection will be
No, I skipped over it.

And I think that won't become obvious in the next week either or the one after that.

But the women poll numbers certainly suggest something other than the meme being pushed by every Republican pundit on TV yesterday. I suppose you're just ignoring them though, we with ovaries all think the same way.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
we with ovaries all think the same way.
If that were true, I'd be shoulder deep in lovin'.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #373
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Would you want Tim Kaine to be next in line?
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'll answer anyway: No. I didn't want Obama to pick Kaine. Or Evan Baye. I WANTED Biden, because Biden is the most qualified of of those who were Obama's VP candidates to be president.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #374
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
I've asked you before why she will attract these independents and Democrats and you haven't answered, so I'm not holding my breath...

Like I said, come October you will all be yourselves...
Just like McCain would never be able to win the Republican nomination right? He was DONE right?

I believe I did answer, but if you didn't see it, she is from outside Washington, further outside Washington than any candidate for the office has ever been. Independents are likely to love that. Democratic strategist have already acknowledged that Obama is having difficulty picking up segments of Hillary Clinton's voting block.

Who do you think Reagan Democrats in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia have more in common with, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, John McCain, or Sarah Palin?

I honestly cannot see Pawlenty or Romney picking up more independents or Democrats for McCain than Sarah Palin can. Unless you can show that this hurts McCain with the Republican base, then its going to be a net positive for McCain.

But will find out soon enough, so I would be careful with your predictions.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #375
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I'll answer anyway: No. I didn't want Obama to pick Kaine. Or Evan Baye. I WANTED Biden, because Biden is the most qualified of of those who were Obama's VP candidates to be president.
Do you think Kaine is qualified to be VP, regardless of whether he is the best selection or not?

Tags
john mccain, sarah palin