Oh my

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
:ohmy: Sorry if this has been posted earlier - if so can a mod please get rid of it?

I'm a firm believer in having a sense of humour... but THIS is really quite disgusting.:( :huh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4211883.stm

"I just saw her float by, a tree right through her head, and now your children will be sold to child slavery."

Outrage over radio tsunami spoof

A New York radio show's staff have been suspended for playing a song which ridiculed victims of the Asian tsunami.
The Miss Jones in the Morning Show on the Hot 97 WQHT-FM hip-hop station, hosted by Tarsha Nicole Jones, aired the Tsunami Song earlier this month.

It includes lines about "Africans drowning, little Chinamen swept away".

The station's owners called it "morally and socially indefensible". Miss Jones and her six-person team apologised and offered a week's pay to aid efforts.

Rick Cummings, president of radio at parent company Emmis Communications, said: "All involved, myself included, are ashamed and deeply sorry.

'Inexcusable'

"I know the members of the morning show are truly contrite. They know their actions here are inexcusable."

But managers decided the morning crew's apology and donation offer was insufficient.

Miss Jones earlier said on air: "I apologise to all who have been offended by my poor decision to go along with playing that insulting (to say the least) Tsunami Song."

She added she wanted to "move forward from this being a better hostess".

The song, to the tune of charity hit We Are the World, includes lines such as: "I just saw her float by, a tree right through her head, and now your children will be sold to child slavery."

:mad: :sad: :sad:

Last edited:
While I can see why someone would want to make light of this because the devastation feels so overwhelming, the song is completely wrong and mean.

Pearl said:
While I can see why someone would want to make light of this because the devastation feels so overwhelming, the song is completely wrong and mean.

I do understand what you're saying there. It's a self-defence mechanism, I think - if something is that atrocious and horrendous, the only way many people can deal with it is to make light of a situation. I think we're all guilty of it to an extent, it's human nature's way of coping with what's going on around us.

However, making light of something like that in order to cope with it is one thing. Deliberately ripping the piss out of so much loss, suffering and misery - and then broadcasting it - is just
vile.

I'm not disagreeing with you and I don't mean to sound like I'm having a go at you, because I'm not... I'm just letting off steam, because this story made me so bloody angry.

Meanwhile, of course, here we are, moaning about tickets and concerts. Puts things into perspective somewhat, for me. :sad:

It is showing the stupidness of the songwriter that s/he but probally he talks about drowning Chinamen. China was not touched. It is like saying how devastated the Sears Tower was when the Twin Towers of New York were destroyed - stupid and uncaring.

And is very cruel of this New York radio after all the radios that did not play songs like Come on Baby Light My Fire after the 911.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom