Oh, How Do You Solve a Problem Like Katrina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
(Please forgive the choir nerd pun in the subject line. Cujo would be proud.)

So now that many of New Orleans' poor residents have fled to Houston and reconstruction plans (or at least speculations) have begun to surface, undoubtedly the pundits and "experts" will propose myriad solutions to the problems wrought not only by Katrina, but by years of poverty in the area. My question to FYM is this: How would you do it?

Your answer needs to provide for:

--revamping levees and other systems to help prevent another Katrina-like disaster or a terrorist threat
--rebuilding housing
--community investment and the re-opening of still-viable businesses
--infrastructure like roads, telecom, etc.
--education
--social services
--port controls (the Port of New Orleans is one of the country's busiest ports)

You should include WHO would handle the situation (current politics notwithstanding; assemble your reconstruction "dream team" if you like, with Rudy Giuliani and James Lee Witt working side by side), HOW LONG it might take, and, if you're the fiscal type, an estimate of the cost.

Keep in mind that "I'd bulldoze and desert the place" is not an option UNLESS you have a plan for creating a new community with the displaced Katrina refugees elsewhere. Then you can say that and answer the questions above in the same manner. Please also indicate where you would build and why.

This should be fun! :D I have some thought but I'd like to see everyone else's first.

i would *not* appoint Karl Rove as head of the rebuilding effort.

that's just the first thing i'd do.

also, i'd come up with a big list of places to cut spending (farm subsidies!), increase taxes (at the pump), and reign in the profligate use of the US military (just what is the Iraq price tag at this point?).

but, then again, why not just borrow the $$$ from Beijing?

I wouldn't put Karl Rove in charge, either. I'd put Rudy Giuliani in charge of the rebuilding effort, I'm sure he'd be great. They should undo the cuts that the Bush Administration gave to the levees. There is talk that the French Quarter may be ready to open for business soon. That's good news. The Cathedral of St. Louis, which is in the French Quarter, was spared major damage, thank goodness. We'd just have to see what Giuliani and Co. could do, I wouldn't want to put a precise timetable on the rebuilding effort because it's just so overwhelming.

I'd put Jimmy Carter in charge of the rebuilding, build up some of the poorer areas, make sure that the best, highest levees money can buy are constructed.

Although I can't quite think straight right now, so this will probably be totally different tomorrow. :drunk:

I would fill the place in completely and rebuild from the ground (plus a few metres) up :| .

Sure it would cost a lot to fill in that much area, but it would be a hell of a lot less than damages from future floods.

Back
Top Bottom