Oh Dubya! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2003, 02:43 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Oh Dubya!

No, it's not a typo, it wasn't misreported: Dubya thinks slaves went to America because of America's belief in freedom.

It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America.

(Quoted from Dubya's remarks in Senegal earlier in the week.)

Old 07-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Perhaps he means to say that their belief in freedom changed america. Grammar 101 would be in order.

Old 07-12-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Think about it this way:

"It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because they helped change America because of their steadfast (sic) and their religion and their belief in freedom."

I think he meant that the slaves eventually changed America because of their beliefs, and not that they voluntarily left Africa for them. Dubya's not *that* dumb.

...is he?

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

So he actually wanted to say something along the lines of "People who were brought to America as slaves changed America because of their belief in freedom and religion."

See, that would make sense and I'm just not used to hearing sense from Dubya.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

...is he?

Yes he is, Hehe
Old 07-12-2003, 03:50 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

He didn't make his point clearly at all. Egads, how many times has he done this??
Old 07-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Perhaps he means to say that their belief in freedom changed america. Grammar 101 would be in order.
Actually, Grammar 101 would be in order for the journalist who wrote the statement down, not for Bush.

The statement was written:

"It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."

It should have been written thusly:

"It's very interesting; when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast (*word left out?) and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."

So really, the only 2 things wrong are:

1)The absence of a semi-colon
2)Leaving out a word - steadfast "what"?

However, because of the placement of the commas, it could never be taken to mean that "Dubya thinks slaves went to America because of America's belief in freedom". The comma after the word "America" and before "because" serves to separate the 2 thoughts. And if that comma was not there, it would still not have anything to do with "America's belief in freedom", but rather the slaves' beliefs in freedom, and that's a ridiculous idea that no one would have. In fact, in order for that to be grammatically correct (as far as writing is concerned), the last comment would have to be dropped. To illustrate that point, here is the statment again, without the last 2 commas, but with the semi-colon, which should have been there:

It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom helped change America.

The grammar lesson is now over. Please send your payments promptly, so I can pay for my membership to the Grand Old Party.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

You're going to start telling us it's because we went to government schools we need grammar lessons, aren't you?

JUST KIDDING.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

OK, the journalist screwed up. Why does that not surprise me? No offense to journalists per se but some of them sure are dense.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:06 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I think that "left Africa" was poor word choice. Forcibly taken seems better, but oh well.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Actually, Grammar 101 would be in order for the journalist who wrote the statement down, not for Bush.

The statement was written:

"It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."

It should have been written thusly:

"It's very interesting; when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast (*word left out?) and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."

So really, the only 2 things wrong are:

1)The absence of a semi-colon
2)Leaving out a word - steadfast "what"?

However, because of the placement of the commas, it could never be taken to mean that "Dubya thinks slaves went to America because of America's belief in freedom". The comma after the word "America" and before "because" serves to separate the 2 thoughts. And if that comma was not there, it would still not have anything to do with "America's belief in freedom", but rather the slaves' beliefs in freedom, and that's a ridiculous idea that no one would have. In fact, in order for that to be grammatically correct (as far as writing is concerned), the last comment would have to be dropped. To illustrate that point, here is the statment again, without the last 2 commas, but with the semi-colon, which should have been there:

It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom helped change America.

The grammar lesson is now over. Please send your payments promptly, so I can pay for my membership to the Grand Old Party.

The misLeader of the Free World should not need an interpreter from Texas? to explain to the rest of the English speaking world what he means.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:44 PM   #12
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Sorry, I'm with Dubya on this one. Even if he sort of mispronounced the sentence (and I'm not even sure he did), it's a mistake that could happen to anyone. He might have misread it or the journalist might have written it down inaccurately, but I think the intent behind the statement came across.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:18 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Old 07-13-2003, 05:14 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

For what it's worth, it's a quote from the White House website so I'm assuming it was a person who works for them who transcribed the quote incorrectly and not a journalist.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:43 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

The misLeader of the Free World should not need an interpreter from Texas? to explain to the rest of the English speaking world what he means.
I wasn't interpreting what Dubya said. I think it needs no interpretation. I was correcting the writer's grammar.