Oh Canada!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
canopyofblue said:
*proud to be Canadian*

Let's hope that this is some kind of inspiration for other countries to follow. Love is love - end of story.

What do the Churches do now though, in light of the decision? I guess it varies by faith as to whether or not this means big changes.

Personally, I think the whole debate will look damn silly in 50 years time...right alongside civil rights and equal rights for women.

We are ALL equal...EVERYONE (said with Bono-like delivery).

angelordevil said:

What do the Churches do now though, in light of the decision? I guess it varies by faith as to whether or not this means big changes.

the decision will be left up to individual churches to decide if they will marry same sex couples. the government can't force churches to go against their religious beliefs.

i'm sure there will be a level of protesting and lobbying from religious groups, but i still don't see how allowing same sex marriage impinges on anyone's rights.

dandy said:

i'm sure there will be a level of protesting and lobbying from religious groups, but i still don't see how allowing same sex marriage impinges on anyone's rights.

I don't either...my feeling is that a lot of this is based on fear, fear that "these people" will challenge the once-exclusive club called marriage.

I guess I'm coming at this from a biased point of view, considering my parents split when I was young, but my take on this is that allowing same-sex couples has the real potential to enhance the institution of marriage, not derail it.

I'm straight as a whip, and hope to be married one day to a special person.
Marriage is my goal, despite the fact that I didn't grow up in a traditional mother/father household.

I want the Church to survive, because I believe in it (and they do have some impressive-looking buildings.
:wink: )

But in order for me to believe in the church long-term, it must start believing in basic human rights.

Nice post, angelordevil :up:.

dandy said:

I don't, either. I still fully intend on marrying a guy someday. I don't see how homosexuals marrying will stop me from doing that. My parents' marriage is still fully intact-homosexuals haven't ruined that one.

Yeah. I don't really get that argument, either.

Angela

There is no argument, they are just a bunch of homophobes.

I have more respect for a person who admits that the reason they don't approve is because they don't approve of that lifestyle than someone who makes up silly arguments about the sanctity of marriage or how it could lead to approval of polygamy or incestous marriage. Don't bullshit us! If you don't like it, fine, I don't like it when people share ice cream with their dog, ewwww, but I've gotten over it..:wink:

trevster2k said:
There is no argument, they are just a bunch of homophobes.

I have more respect for a person who admits that the reason they don't approve is because they don't approve of that lifestyle than someone who makes up silly arguments about the sanctity of marriage or how it could lead to approval of polygamy or incestous marriage. Don't bullshit us! If you don't like it, fine, I don't like it when people share ice cream with their dog, ewwww, but I've gotten over it..:wink:

:hug:

trevster2k said:
Hey no hugging here, we're both guys.

:D

...but you're my provincial brother!:wink:

flag.gif

Yeah, that's true but you're a Bayman and I'm a Townie. That is quite the odd couple!

:lol:

I transcend all stereotypes...but you can call me a sophisticated rural dweller if you insist on labels:wink:

That flag graphic is right on hey? I bet gibsongirl would like that one...it would make a cool avatar...she's an ace at that.

As a footnote to this topic, the Canadian Senate finally passed C-38 on a vote of 47-21, so *now* it is law.

Melon

Dont speak so soon, they are going to let gov't officials that preform the services to abstain due to social, religous, moral views. If that aint plain being biggoted I dont know what is.

Thats what they are talking about.

But I seen tonight on the news that two guys went and got married an hour after it came through.

Melon, I hereby invite you up to my City and Country anytime you like!

Back
Top Bottom