Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
financeguy said:
Does Fred Thompson have any qualifications for the role whatsoever?

he used to be in law&order, thats kinda cool :shrug:

does he need anything else to qualify? come on!

Irvine511 said:

he served in the Senate.

I didn't even know he was on Law and Order until someone else told me because I could only remember him as senator from Tennessee and his role in McCain's campaign in 2000. :reject: I think his stint on TV started just before I left the US.

"What you see is what you get
You've made your bed, you better lie in it
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies wash you down and their promises rust
You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns

And the public wants what the public gets
But I don't get what this society wants
I'm going underground, (going underground)"

(c) The Jam

Let's not forget Thopmson was in the Hunt for Red October...:love: that movie.

I can't stand being undecided. I want someone to rally behind, get excited about, start lining up volunteer work and whatnot, but that just ain't happening for me yet.

Some of Giuliani's stances on that table surprise me and not in a good way. He's for Guantanamo, torture, and wiretapping. He's for the Iraq war and a troop surge, and possible action against Iran. He also is against troop withdrawal. He is against universal healthcare and a minimum wage increase. I thought he was a bit different on some of these.

U2democrat said:
Let's not forget Thopmson was in the Hunt for Red October...:love: that movie.

I can't stand being undecided. I want someone to rally behind, get excited about, start lining up volunteer work and whatnot, but that just ain't happening for me yet.
You are worthress Arec Baldwin!!!!

Speaking as an independent, I like Dennis Kucinich. (whose name I can't spell or pronounce)

phillyfan26 said:
I like Dennis Kucinich. (whose name I can't spell or pronounce)

that's ok

Can you spell or say Elizabeth :wink:

72810238.jpg

deep said:

that's ok

Can you spell or say Elizabeth :wink:

72810238.jpg

I can spell Elizabeth!

This is just what Kucinich needs to move up in the polls. More Elizabeth! She will ratchet up the male vote for Dennis and give him the jump start he needs. We all know what King Hussein's hot American wife did for peace between Israel and Jordan, this will be no different. A masters degree in International Conflict Analysis and bachelor's w/honors in religious studies. Thanks, wiki. A prez with ideas and a babe of a first lady with serious upside. And pierced tongue :madspit:

After 8 years of right wing bullshit, how 'bout we try on something else for a change. Do we have the balls, America?

Because, apparently, Kucinich does. :wink:

Dennis/Elizabeth '08

unico you get the east coast, I'll take the west. We go up to anyone having a political discussion, turn the discussion to Kucinich, state a couple easily agreeable positions of his. Then when they start trying to diss something about him, you go "Yeah, but have you seen his wife?" The rest takes care of itself because she is bright, well rounded and attractive. Ends on an up note and we move on to the next victims. :wink:

OK, so at last count we have one lying president, one lying vice-president and now the lying attorney general. Whatta lot :mad:

hardyharhar said:
unico you get the east coast, I'll take the west. We go up to anyone having a political discussion, turn the discussion to Kucinich, state a couple easily agreeable positions of his. Then when they start trying to diss something about him, you go "Yeah, but have you seen his wife?" The rest takes care of itself because she is bright, well rounded and attractive. Ends on an up note and we move on to the next victims. :wink:

Sweet! I'm on it!!! Last time my friend and I made shirts that said "I've got the Kucinich-itch" on the front, and on back it said "And I aims to scratch it!"

Checking in with east coast volunteer Unico. I put the Kucinich plan to work on Sunday. A friend, who considers himself an independent, called and mentioned Fred Thompson. We spoke politics for a few moments then I asked about Kucinich. He said he liked him but was a bit down on him at the time because he read somewhere that he may be a tad lazy. Well, I didn't know anything about that, but everything was going according to our plan. The conversation had become a bit negative towards DK, so I brought out our secret weapon. I said "Yeah, but his wife is hot", in a guy to guy sorta way (lecherous :wink: ). He thought about it for about a second, then said "Yeah, she is" and suddenly the mood about DK was positive again. Worked like a charm............... guys are so predictable. :ohmy:

I think we're onto something here.

Dennis/Elizabeth '08

The former Massachusetts governor last weekend was asked during a campaign stop in Iowa whether he would renew President Bush's $50 million campaign to combat AIDS in Africa.

Romney said he would and then proceeded to explain the U.S. should aspire to implement the kind of social action network carried out in recent years by Hezbollah.
:huh:

First topic in the recent GOP debate: abortion

:banghead:

Abortion? What about immigration? What about the war? Why are the Democrats never asked about abortion first?

Silly Stephanopoulos.

slate.com

Rudy Giuliani's daughter is supporting Barack Obama.
By Lucy Morrow Caldwell
Posted Monday, Aug. 6, 2007

There's one vote that Rudy Giuliani definitely can't count on in his 2008 presidential bid: his own daughter's. According to the 17-year-old Caroline Giuliani's Facebook profile, she's supporting Barack Obama.

On her profile, she designates her political views as "liberal" and—until this morning—proclaimed her membership in the Facebook group "Barack Obama (One Million Strong for Barack)." According to her profile, she withdrew from the Obama group at 6 a.m. Monday, after Slate sent her an inquiry about it.

In what may be an effort to avoid public connection to her famous father, the future Harvard freshman and recent graduate of Trinity School in Manhattan uses a slight variation of her name on the Facebook site. But she didn't lock her profile, allowing any Facebook user with access to the Harvard or Trinity School networks (more than 42,000 people) to view her detailed profile. (As a Harvard student, I was able to see it.)

It's not news that Rudy and his two children, Caroline and her 21-year-old brother Andrew, have a rocky relationship. Caroline and Andrew are the children of Donna Hanover, Rudy's second wife. In March, Andrew, who is a junior at Duke, told the New York Times that he and his father had been estranged for some time, and he has spoken candidly about his objections to Giuliani's marriage to Judith Nathan. And after the wedding, the Times reported, Giuliani also stopped attending Caroline's high-school events. Though he went to her high-school graduation, he left without speaking to her and did not join in the post-graduation family celebration, according to the New York Daily News.

Caroline's Facebook profile does not reveal why she doesn't want her father to win the White House. She has not responded to e-mail questions from Slate.

2861U2 said:

Why are the Democrats never asked about abortion first?

Well maybe because they don't make it a point to yammer on about it in order to get faith-based voters to show up and vote on this sole issue.

This is exactly why abortion will never be criminalized; it is the right's bread and butter. If they couldn't profess their outrage about this on a daily basis, what would they do?

deep said:
The former Massachusetts governor last weekend was asked during a campaign stop in Iowa whether he would renew President Bush's $50 million campaign to combat AIDS in Africa.

Romney said he would and then proceeded to explain the U.S. should aspire to implement the kind of social action network carried out in recent years by Hezbollah.

:huh:

Here's the thing - one of the reasons Hezbollah and Hamas (and before them the PLO, but Hamas was better at it and that's part of why they gained support) have had so much success has been that they have provided social support and education when nobody else is. It's a great way to gain popular support. I'm not sure if that's what Romney meant, but it is a perfectly valid strategy for reaching people and gaining their sympathies and even their support.

By Susan Page, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has significantly widened her lead over Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for the Democratic presidential nomination in the wake of a dispute over handling foreign policy, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds.

The survey, taken Friday through Sunday, puts Clinton at 48% — up 8 percentage points from three weeks ago — and Obama at 26%, down 2 points. Among Democrats and independents who "lean" Democratic, former North Carolina senator John Edwards is at 12%.

The 22-point gap between the two leaders is nearly double the margin found in the July 12-15 poll.

"People are seeing her as the one ready to be president," says Mark Penn, Clinton's chief strategist, a perception he says was "accelerated" by the recent debate.

Bill Burton, Obama's spokesman, dismisses the findings. "National polls may go up and down before people actually start voting, but their irrelevance will not," he says.

Among Republicans, the race was stable: Former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani at 33%, former Tennessee senator Fred Thompson at 21%, Arizona Sen. John McCain at 16% and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney at 8%.

The Democratic race is much closer in the states where opening contests will be held and campaigning already is fierce. Clinton and Edwards are essentially tied in Iowa, according to the three most recent statewide polls aggregated by the political website RealClearPolitics.com. She holds a small lead over Obama in New Hampshire.

"She's a known quantity, and she does have significant strengths," says Democratic strategist Anita Dunn, who isn't affiliated with a campaign. "But where he has started to fill in some of the blanks, he's very competitive."

Still, the new poll seems to reflect some success by Clinton in portraying her chief rival as inexperienced and naive on foreign policy. In a debate sponsored by CNN and YouTube two weeks ago, Obama said he would meet as president with such rogue leaders as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran and Hugo Chávez of Venezuela.

Clinton refused to make that pledge, saying, "I don't want to be used for propaganda purposes."

Both campaigns spotlighted the exchange afterward.

In the survey, Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents by overwhelming margins say Clinton would do a better job as president than Obama in handling terrorism, the Iraq war and relations with unfriendly nations.

If the nomination comes down between the two, Clinton was preferred over Obama 59%-36%.

Also in the poll, President Bush's approval rating ticked up to 34%, still dismal but better than his low of 29% in July.

And Congress? The approval rating for congressional Republicans sank to 29%, for congressional Democrats to 37% — both new lows in the eight years since the question was first asked.

The survey of 1,012 adults has an error margin of +/- 3 points for the full sample, 5 points for the Republican and Democratic subsamples.

I'm glad other people like Kucinich; I was feeling lonely.

I need to change my party affiliation (well, I need to affiliate myself with one) so I can vote in a primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom