Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What next from Mitt?

By Brian McGrory, Boston Globe Columnist | March 20, 2007

Now that Mitt Romney has flip-flopped on, deep breath here, abortion rights, gay rights, gun control, immigration policy, and campaign finance reform, what's left to reverse? Maybe this:

July 20, 2007

DES MOINES -- Trailing by double-digit margins in the polls to thrice-married Rudolph Giuliani and twice-married John McCain, presidential candidate Mitt Romney announced yesterday that he was seeking a divorce from his longtime wife, Ann.

"Where's my sweetheart?" Romney asked at the beginning of a speech to an overflowing crowd of supporters in this, the first caucus state. "Come on up here, Ann."

When Ann Romney arrived on stage, Romney said, "Can you believe we've been married 38 years?"

Then he added: "That's long enough. Tomorrow, I'm filing for divorce."

Leaving the podium at the end of the event, Romney was heard to tell an aide, "Let's see which way the divorcee vote breaks now."

Sept. 30, 2007

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- With the public rallying around Rudy Giuliani in his public estrangement from his son, Mitt Romney called a press conference to announce that he had severed all ties to his five boys.

Asked why, Romney glanced quizzically at an aide standing in the wings, then told the mob of reporters, "Um, because."

When pressed on what had always appeared to be his closeness to his sons, Romney responded, "Our relationship has evolved."

Dec. 5, 2007

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Presidential candidate Mitt Romney denied ever being governor of Massachusetts, telling supporters at a private fund-raiser: "Check the records. I was never there."

Jan. 20, 2008

CONCORD, N.H. -- Bested by John McCain in the first-in-the-nation primary here, Mitt Romney arrived at a press conference with the use of a walker and the aid of a healthcare worker and announced, "I'm not as young as I used to be."

Jan. 28, 2008

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -- Fading presidential candidate Mitt Romney got rip-roaring drunk at a local Hooters on the eve of the pivotal South Carolina primary.

Later that night, Romney appeared before reporters while gulping a Bud longneck and puffing on an unfiltered Pall Mall and announced: "I love NASCAR racing. The only reason I'm running for president is to make it an Olympic sport."

Told by a member of the news media that the president has no authority over the Olympics, Romney responded, "Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you."

Feb. 1, 2008

NEW YORK -- Former governor Mitt Romney, whose once bright political star has faded into a haze of contorted issue positions, cheap booze, loose women, and profanity-laced speeches, announced that he is converting from Mormonism to Judaism.

"I am, at heart, a Jewish man," Romney said, several days ahead of the critical New York primary. The proclamation came one day after he told a small crowd of yogis in California that he was forgoing his Mormon beliefs to pursue Eastern spirituality.

Feb. 6, 2008

BOSTON -- Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney withdrew from the presidential race with a rousing speech declaring his respect for gays as well as straights, his belief that abortion laws should remain unchanged, his disdain for guns that plague urban centers, and his tolerance for struggling immigrants who seek a better life on American shores.

Amid euphoric applause from a swelling crowd that included his wife and sons, Romney was asked why he didn't voice these beliefs during his failed campaign.

"It never occurred to me that people might like me for who I am," he said.

Oh no, it must be bad news. I wonder if he'll drop out. That's very sad news.

Edwards, wife to hold news conference

(AP)John Edwards disclosed that his wife, Elizabeth, had breast cancer the day after he lost the vice presidency in the 2004 election. Now his political future may hinge on her health.

The couple planned a news conference in Chapel Hill, N.C., to discuss their plans Thursday, a day after visiting doctors who are monitoring Mrs. Edwards' recovery from the cancer.

Campaign officials refused to answer any questions about what the couple learned at the doctor's appointment or how it might affect Edwards' second presidential bid. Edwards had cut short a trip to Iowa to be with his wife but still attended a barbecue fundraiser Wednesday evening in Chapel Hill, their hometown.

The campaign had said Mrs. Edwards, 57, had a follow-up appointment Wednesday to a routine test she had Monday. The campaign explained that she had similar follow-ups in the past but they always resulted in a clean bill of health.

The campaign refused to describe what happened this time.

She's a great lady, I hope the news is not the worst everyone is imagining. :(

It's terrible news. :(

I never thought he had a chance of winning the nomination but he was very progressive and had some good ideas. It is heartbreaking that it had to come for this.

He seems like a wonderful man and husband. I wish them the best.

This is what happened to my grandmother...she had breast cancer that spread to her ribcage and she ended up dying six months later :sad:

Hopefully Mrs. Edwards can get better treatment...my thoughts are with them.

U2democrat said:
This is what happened to my grandmother...she had breast cancer that spread to her ribcage and she ended up dying six months later :sad:

I'm sorry about that sweetie :hug:

I am in awe of Elizabeth Edwards and of their relationship after seeing that press conference. I admire them so much. I don't know what else to say, there's really nothing much that you can.

By Anne E. Kornblut
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, April 2, 2007

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) raised $26 million in the first quarter of the year, almost three times as much as any politician has previously raised at this point in a presidential election, officials with her campaign announced yesterday.

Democrat John Edwards, a former senator from North Carolina, also topped the previous record, reporting at least $14 million for the quarter that ended Saturday.

The sums, though record-setting, represent only a portion of the tens of millions the candidates are expected to raise in what should be the most expensive presidential campaign in history. And the reports, required by federal law, highlighted the intensity of the so-called money primary.

CONCORD, New Hampshire (AP) -- Elizabeth Edwards wants to be clear: She made the choice to stick with her husband's campaign for president after learning her cancer was back.

"I think that people who are critical like to think that John dragged me kicking and fighting the whole way, that I'm somehow disappointed in this. I'm not disappointed in this," she said on Monday.

Speaking to reporters after her husband's town hall meeting at Concord High School, Edwards, 57, said at decision time, she went first.

"He let me make it first, I think, because he wanted to make certain it was mine and I wasn't just deferring to him," she said. "This is what I wanted to do."

As for criticism of their decision: "I don't worry for me because we've got tough skin. And, honestly, having been through the death of a child, it's just words. You want to hurt us, you're going to have to do a little better than that."

It was the couple's first campaign trip to New Hampshire since announcing last month that Elizabeth Edwards' breast cancer, diagnosed at the end of the 2004 campaign, had returned in her bones. John Edwards stayed in the race, drawing kudos from fellow survivors and questions about whether that was the right choice.

April 2, 2007 — - "Nightline" co-anchor Cynthia McFadden traveled to the Edwards home in North Carolina to talk exclusively with Elizabeth and Cate Edwards, wife and daughter of 2008 presidential contender John Edwards, for their first interview together since Elizabeth announced that her cancer had returned.

Watch the full interview tonight on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m. EDT

Here are a few exchanges with Elizabeth and Cate Edwards from the conversation.

The Campaign Trail Will Be a Whole Family Affair

McFadden: So the plan is to take them on the road.

E. Edwards: The plan is to take them on the road. I think, too, they'll see their parents as doing one of two things. Here's adversity, and here's how you react. Either you meet it and say, "I'm going to fight for the things I care about," or you say that adversity wins. So this is also a teaching moment for our children.

Cate on Finding Out About Her Mother

McFadden: How did you find out, Cate, that your mother's cancer was back?

Cate Edwards: She said, "Well, they found something on my rib, but there's so many different things it could be," and I said, "Put Dad on the phone." And so I talked to Dad and he really told me. He told me the truth about what it probably was.

McFadden: Cate, what scares you the most?

C. Edwards: I think for me the scariest thing is thinking about little Claire and Jack and I want them to have their mom, you know, this mom, the same way I did. What scares me the most that they're deprived of that at some point sooner then they should be.

On Rush Limbaugh and Religion

McFadden: Rush Limbaugh says, "What is their religion? I don't doubt they're religious people, but we talked about this. Political people are different than you and I and, you know, most people, when told a family member's been diagnosed with the kind of cancer Elizabeth Edwards has, they turn to God. The Edwards turned to the campaign. Their religion is politics and the quest for the White House."

E. Edwards: He has no idea. He has no idea. John and I spent seven hours in the hospital room between the time that we saw the bone scan move across my body and saw the spots, and the time we got the CT scan, scan of my soft tissues back.

Rush Limbaugh was not with us.

John's faith and his political dream coincide unbelievably closely. The idea that we respect each human being as a creature of God, that we can't -- that it's for God to judge, and not for us, all of those things are part of his religious thinking and part of his political thinking.

On Her Prognosis

McFadden: Have you asked the doctors what the prognosis is in terms of time?

E. Edwards: You know, the problem is that there are no statistics that actually apply to me. I read a lot about people who know what my prognosis is, but they don't.

McFadden: The statistics do tell us something. It tells us the probabilities, right now in this moment, and what they say is five years out, 20 percent survival rate.

E. Edwards: They don't actually say that. That statistic has to do with people who prevent for the first time with stage four metastasized cancer. That is not me.

And the American Cancer Society has tried to come back and stop people from saying that, because it is not applicable to my situation.

Last edited:
At this stage of the game

my speculation is that Hillary will get the Democratic nomination

it would take something major to derail her
and I think the VRWC has thrown everything at her they got :shrug:

On the Republican side
Giuliani is looking pretty good
but McCain still has a good shot

Giuliani may be taken out or fold,
just like he did in 2000, against Hillary

McCain has lost the glow he had in 2000
but the GOP power brokers make still back his bid

Romney has an outside shot

of course there are dark horses, Gore and Fred Johnson, are waiting in the wings if either party's primaries implode (not likely)

deep said:
At this stage of the game

my speculation is that Hillary will get the Democratic nomination

it would take something major to derail her
and I think the VRWC has thrown everything at her they got :shrug:

On the Republican side
Giuliani is looking pretty good
but McCain still has a good shot

Giuliani may be taken out or fold,
just like he did in 2000, against Hillary

McCain has lost the glow he had in 2000
but the GOP power brokers make still back his bid

Romney has an outside shot

of course there are dark horses, Gore and Fred Johnson, are waiting in the wings if either party's primaries implode (not likely)

I also think Hillary Clinton probably has the Democratic nomination in the bag. I can't see Giuliani ever getting the Republican nomination with his stance on abortion along with a few other things. Despite Giuliani recent polling victory's and Romney's fund raising success, McCain will probably still be the Republican nominee. Who wins the national election will depend on events in Iraq over the next 18 months as well as the publics perception of things there.

STING2 said:

Who wins the national election will depend on events in Iraq over the next 18 months as well as the publics perception of things there.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I thought King McCain had this thing in the bag????

Isn't that what you've been telling us over and over and over again? That there was no point in even having an election? Did we all dream that up?

She's just a kick ass woman

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Elizabeth Edwards said Tuesday that she got some good news: She has a type of cancer that is more likely to be controlled by anti-estrogen drugs.

Mrs. Edwards, wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, expressed frustration with reports that she's likely to die within five years. She said doctors can't give her a reliable life expectancy and even if they could, the information would be of no comfort to her.

"I don't care," she said in an interview with The Associated Press as she campaigned with her husband. "I'm going to fight exactly as hard if they tell me that I've got 15 years or if I've got 30 years. I'm still going to fight to get rid of this _ if they tell me I've got 15 minutes I'm still going to fight. It doesn't matter what the prognosis is. So it's not an important piece of information to me."

The Edwardses announced nearly two weeks ago that the breast cancer she thought she had beaten with surgery, radiation and chemotherapy had spread to her bone. They said they had no intention of ending his bid because doctors told her that although she's likely to die from the disease eventually, the campaign wouldn't interfere with her treatment.

Mrs. Edwards had her first post-diagnosis doctor's visit Friday and emerged encouraged. She said her doctor expected she had the most aggressive "triple-negative" cancer, but testing found that she had two of the three key hormonal receptors _ estrogen and progesterone. She said her the original diagnosis was "slightly estrogen heavy," but this time it's a strong marker and she also has the second marker.

"I consider that a good sign," Mrs. Edwards said in an interview in an art classroom before appearing with her husband at the Prairie High School gymnasium. "It means there are more medications which I can expect to be responsive."

Mrs. Edwards, pointing out a large bruise on the back of her hand and another on her forearm from her IV, said she got an initial course of a bone-building drug. She's also taking Femara, an aromatase inhibitor, but is not undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

She said the development of drugs like Femara is one of many reasons that reports that she's likely to die within five years are not accurate.

"Femara didn't exist five years ago," she said. "I don't expect to get yesterday's medicine. If I can help it, I'd like to get tomorrow's medicine."

Several news organization have reported an American Cancer Society statistic that says the five-year survival rate for Stage IV breast cancer that spread to other organs is just 26 percent. But the cancer society put out a statement saying that is not applicable in her case because it only applies when a woman initially walks into a doctor's office with Stage IV breast cancer, not when she had treatment and the cancer later spread.

There are few good estimates of survival time for these patients. Treatment is easiest if the recurrence is limited to the breast area, and survival is much shorter if the cancer spreads aggressively to vital organs like the liver, lungs or brain.

The bone seems to be somewhere in the middle. A subset of patients with estrogen receptor-positive tumors that appear in only the bone have a good chance at surviving for 10 years, according to Dr. Julia Smith, head of the New York University Cancer Institutes' breast cancer prevention program.

Mrs. Edwards said she's marking 10 years as her "bottom line."

"But even then I'm not happy," she said. "I'm 67 in 10 years. That's not enough. I've got more stuff to do.

anitram said:

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I thought King McCain had this thing in the bag????

Isn't that what you've been telling us over and over and over again? That there was no point in even having an election? Did we all dream that up?

[q]McCain Revamps His Fund-Raising

By ADAM NAGOURNEY
WASHINGTON, April 3 — Lagging in fund-raising and under fire for his support of the Iraq war, Senator John McCain is overhauling his campaign finance operation and delaying the official announcement of his candidacy, his aides said Tuesday.

They said he would adopt the kind of big-donor fund-raising program pioneered by President Bush and give a speech explaining his support for the administration’s troop buildup in Iraq.

The maneuvers come at a time of sharp anxiety in Mr. McCain’s camp, especially over his fund-raising, which is trailing all the major Republican and Democratic presidential candidates.

The concern grew after his visit to Iraq over the weekend, when he asserted that conditions there were improving.

Mr. McCain’s aides said that to deal with his fund-raising problems, he would adopt what had been a centerpiece of Mr. Bush’s fund-raising technique, and one that has been embraced by most major presidential candidates: creating an honorary campaign designation to reward the campaign’s top money raisers. Mr. Bush called his Rangers and Pioneers; Mr. McCain will call his the McCain 100’s, for supporters who collect $100,000 for the campaign, and the McCain 200’s, who collect $200,000.

Mr. McCain has been identified throughout his career as an advocate of curbing the influence of money in politics, notably as a co-sponsor of a landmark bill limiting political contributions. He criticized Mr. Bush, when the two were opponents in 2000, as leading overly aggressive fund-raising efforts.

Mr. McCain has also enlisted two senior advisers and put them in charge of a fund-raising effort that campaign aides described bluntly as being in disarray and without a single person in charge. They are Tom Loeffler, a former Texas congressman who was named the campaign’s national campaign finance chairman, and Steve Schmidt, who ran Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s most recent campaign in California.

Mr. McCain’s aides said his problems arose because contributors, staff members — and perhaps Mr. McCain himself — had been lulled into complacency after a year in which they had systematically portrayed his nomination as inevitable.

“This is a moment that has truly defined what needs to be done with respect to political fund-raising,” said Mr. Loeffler, whom Mr. McCain elevated to run the fund-raising effort at the first signs of trouble three weeks ago. “What it has shown for this team is that this is not a jog. This is a sprint.”

John Weaver, Mr. McCain’s senior adviser, said: “We have a responsibility to make sure this doesn’t happen again and that we fix it. We take that seriously.”

Mr. McCain held only three fund-raisers in January and February, they said. Mr. McCain’s aides said that they had spent Tuesday in conference calls with contributors across the country and that they were loading Mr. McCain’s schedule through the spring with fund-raisers to try to recover.

At the same time, Mr. McCain will, upon his return from Iraq, deliver what his aides said would be a major speech at the Virginia Military Institute that will argue that the troop escalation was showing signs of success and urging Americans to back the war effort. The speech will take place on April 11, the day on which Mr. McCain had been scheduled to formally enter the race.

The candidate’s coming speech on the war, too, comes as Democrats are assailing Mr. McCain as having an overly optimistic view of conditions in Iraq, where he toured a Baghdad market while clad in a bulletproof vest and protected by helicopters and armed guards.

Democrats suggested that Mr. McCain had become so committed to building up forces, a stance he has long favored, and that he had linked his fortunes to the war so much that he failed to appreciate what was happening there now.[/q]

poor, delusional old fool. yet, when you debase yourself at the foot of the Bushies for 7 years, what do you expect?

huge.

[q]Obama Raises $25 Million, Almost Matching Clinton
By Kristin Jensen and Jay Newton-Small

April 4 (Bloomberg) -- Illinois Senator Barack Obama raised at least $25 million in the first quarter of his presidential campaign, just below the total of Democratic rival and top fundraiser Hillary Clinton.

Clinton, a New York senator, reported on April 1 that she raised $26 million and added another $10 million from her Senate campaign account. Clinton had previously proven herself one of the best fundraisers in the country, bringing in $51 million for her 2006 re-election campaign that had no real competition.

Obama's take helps fortify his position as a frontrunner with Clinton in the race for the Democratic nomination. The third-place contender, former vice presidential nominee John Edwards, raised $14 million in the period.

``The overwhelming response, in only a few short weeks, shows the hunger for a different kind of politics in this country,'' said Penny Pritzker, Obama's finance chair, in an e- mailed statement.

Obama's campaign emphasized the number of donors as evidence of widespread support. Obama received contributions from more than 100,000 people, his campaign said. Clinton, 59, reported receiving donations from 50,000 people.

Obama, 45, also reported that his total included at least $23.5 million for the primary election. This is the first modern campaign in which all the major Democratic candidates are raising money for both the primary and the general election instead of relying on public financing.

A candidate can only use funds raised for the general campaign if he or she wins the party nomination, and Clinton hasn't disclosed how much of her $26 million is intended for the general election. Edwards said such contributions made up only $1 million of his $14 million total.

Obama was the last major candidate to give an estimate for the first-quarter figures. All the candidates must file reports to the Federal Election Commission by April 15 with details on their contributions and spending.

On the Republican side, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney led the pack by raising $21 million. One-time frontrunner John McCain, an Arizona senator, raised just $12.5 million, trailing former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who brought in $15 million in the period.[/q]

I just read that and was going to post it. Incredible.

I have a feeling the Obama train is going to really gain some ground. Plus, we know Oprah's a fan. : )

(She has a lot of money :shh: )

^ I agree, dem. I think Edwards is going to take some wind out of her sails, too.

What would you think of a Obama/Edwards team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom