Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Radar Online

McCain Staffers Bail Off the Crazy Train

John McCain's Obama-esque remarks about our "wasted" resources in Iraq weren't the only comments that landed him in hot water after a recent appearance on Late Night with David Letterman. Many of his staff were blindsided by his campaign announcement. And several aides were so outraged that they've quit, say Republican insiders.

"They're imploding—he had a game plan that had him announcing much later in the year," one top Republican aide tells Radar, adding that the campaign is "in serious trouble ... Romney's plan and Rudy's jump in the polls caused him to scrap his plans completely. When you do that, and you're not prepared for it, the staff goes crazy. Some of his coordinators in different states were pulling their hair out!"

Another insider, a guru to the conservative movement, says that McCain himself is growing increasingly desperate in the wake of his downward slide in the polls—a slip hastened by his steadfast support of the very man who savaged him and his family during the 2000 election, George W. Bush, and the president's unpopular plan for troop surge in Iraq. "One of the top aides to the Republican leadership told me that McCain has lost so much support, he's simply beside himself. He's wringing his hands. Things are sinking fast—in two or three weeks, we'll know if there is any recovery."

It didn't help any that McCain was the one leading Republican candidate who skipped last weekend's Conservative Political Action Conference. In CPAC's straw poll on Saturday, McCain came in fifth place—behind Sam Brownback. When the results were announced, attendees booed at the mention of his name.

The head of Fox News Roger Ailes actually made this "joke" about Barack Obama at the Radio & TV News Directors Foundation dinner. He was receiving the First Amendment Leadership Award, so maybe that was his way of celebrating the First Amendment. Yeah, that's it

And it is true that Barack Obama is on the move. I don't know if it's true that President Bush called Musharraf and said, 'Why can't we catch this guy?'

The Nevada Democratic Party today backed out of a FOX News-sponsored presidential debate after Fox President Roger Ailes's recent remarks jokingly comparing Democratic Senator Barack Obama to al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden.

In a joint letter faxed today, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Tom Collins, the head of the Nevada Democratic Party, informed Fox News executive producer Marty Ryan of the decision.

"A month ago, the Nevada Democratic Party entered into a good faith agreement with FOX News to co-sponsor a presidential debate in August,'' Reid and Collins said in the letter. "This was done because the Nevada Democratic Party is reaching out to new voters and we strongly believe that a Democrat will not win Nevada unless we find new ways to talk to new people. To say the least, this was not a popular decision. But it is one that the Democratic Party stood by.''

"However, comments made last night by FOX News President Roger Ailes in reference to one of our presidential candidates went too far,'' the letter went on. "We cannot, as good Democrats, put our party in a position to defend such comments. In light of his comments, we have concluded that it is not possible to hold a Presidential debate that will focus on our candidates and are therefore canceling our August debate. We take no pleasure in this, but it is the only course of action.''

Chuck Hagel is about to throw his hat in the race. I actually like him, he's like the Joe Lieberman of the Republican Party, he really is a maverick (unlike McCain).

I'm still not satisfied or decided on a candidate. :grumpy:

'Law & Order' star considers real Oval Office role

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Not enough "star" power for Fred Thompson in a GOP presidential field that includes some of his friends? Whatever the case, the actor and former Tennessee senator is considering getting into the 2008 race.

Thompson, who plays district attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's drama "Law & Order," said Sunday, "I'm giving some thought to it, going to leave the door open" and decide in the coming months. "It's not really a reflection on the current field at all," he said.

"I'm just going to wait and see what happens," Thompson added. "I wanted to see how my colleagues who are on the campaign trail do now, what they say, what they emphasize, what they're addressing, and how successful they are in doing that, and whether or not they can carry the ball in next November."

Thompson, 64, said he was pondering a run after former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and other Tennessee Republicans began drumming up support for his possible GOP candidacy, citing his conservative credentials. (Watch how Thompson might be right for new role )

"I think people are somewhat disillusioned. I think a lot of people are cynical out there. I think they're looking for something different. ... and I think that they're going to be open to different things," he said.

"It will be interesting to me as I listen to people and learn and watch what's going on and what's the reaction, and the poll numbers and so forth, as to whether or not my instinct on that is right."

On the issues, Thompson said he:

Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."

Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

Opposes gun control, and praised last week's 2-1 federal appeals decision overturning a long-standing handgun ban. "The court basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

Supports President Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify things. I think we're doing that now," he said. "Why would we not take any chance, even though there's certainly no guarantees, to not be run out of that place? I mean, we've got to take that opportunity and give it a chance to work."

Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense.

Thompson said he was not setting a deadline to make a decision and believes he won't be at a disadvantage if he waited until summer. "The lay of the land will be different in a few months than it is today, one way or the other."

He added, "One advantage you have in not ... having this as lifelong ambition is that if it turns out that your calculation is wrong, it's not the end of the world."

Thompson, the minority counsel in the Watergate investigation, was elected to the Senate in 1994 to fill the unexpired term of Vice President Al Gore. He was chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee and left the Senate in 2003 to resume his acting career.

Thompson has acted in films such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Cape Fear," and "In the Line of Fire."

Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, who is pursuing the Democratic nomination for president, said Thompson was as qualified as anyone "to credibly throw his hat in the ring." Added Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina: "I think he makes a great president in the movies and he might make a great one in real life."

Thompson was interviewed on "Fox News Sunday"; Biden and Graham spoke on CNN's "Late Edition."

He's a long shot. I'll always have a soft spot for him since he was in one of my favorite films (The Hunt for Red October) and he's from Tennessee (where I was born) but I doubt I could ever support him.

Besides, he's a Republican! :wink:

Cool... Hillary blasts the Halliburton move:

---------------------
Clinton Denounces Halliburton's Move

By JOE STINEBAKER, Associated Press Writer

Monday, March 12, 2007

(03-12) 17:16 PDT NEW YORK, (AP) --

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday denounced oil giant Halliburton's planned relocation to Dubai.

"I think it raises a lot of very big concerns and we're going to be looking into it in Washington," the New York senator said at a news conference in the Bronx. "I think it's disgraceful that American companies are more than happy to try to get no-bid contracts like Halliburton has, and then turn around and say, 'You know, we're not going to stay.'"

On Saturday, Halliburton CEO Dave Lesar announced that the conglomerate's headquarters would move from Houston to Dubai, a booming city in the United Arab Emirates known for its liberal tax and residency laws. Lesar said the company's business was now largely based in the Middle East and Asia.

Halliburton, which was headed by Vice President Dick Cheney from 1995-2000, received several lucrative no-bid government contracts to manage the reconstruction of Iraq following the U.S.-led invasion there. Last month, federal investigators alleged Halliburton was responsible for $2.7 billion of the $10 billion in contractor waste and overcharging in Iraq.

In 2006, Halliburton earned profits of $2.3 billion on revenues of $22.6 billion.

"We have a lot of evidence about their misuse of government contracts and how they have cheated the American soldier, cheated the American taxpayer, they have taken money and not provided the services," said Clinton, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. "So, does moving overseas mean that we won't be able to pursue these investigations?"

Halliburton spokeswoman Melissa Norcross said the company did not expect to receive any tax benefits from the Dubai move and that it would comply with U.S. government oversight.

"With the addition of a corporate headquarters office in Dubai, we join the ranks of many major corporations with multiple centers of senior management," Norcross said.

INDY500 said:
Did she make these statements in her newly acquired southern drawl?

That "newly acquired southern drawl" smear is so bogus. For those who haven't heard, during her speech in Selma, Alabama before a predominantly African-American congregation, Hillary Clinton quoted from a writing that was *written* in dialect, and she was speaking in the same dialect in which the passage was written. The crowd roared its approval, and gave her a standing ovation.

Afterwards, Republicans attacked her for "faking a southern accent," and in the process, proved that they completely misunderstood her speech.

:rolleyes:

U2democrat said:

Meh, more like a traitor to the party :wink:

Lieberman is a DINO, or should I say was a DINO

He is every Republicans favorite Democrat?

kind of like how McCain was the Democrates favorite Republican in 2000.

McCain is now a sell out and has been

if he can get the nomination, because of the GOP's weak team of contenders

he will surely lose, unless the Dems
blow it big time.

LyricalDrug said:

That "newly acquired southern drawl" smear is so bogus. For those who haven't heard, during her speech in Selma, Alabama before a predominantly African-American congregation, Hillary Clinton quoted from a writing that was *written* in dialect, and she was speaking in the same dialect in which the passage was written. The crowd roared its approval, and gave her a standing ovation.

Afterwards, Republicans attacked her for "faking a southern accent," and in the process, proved that they completely misunderstood her speech.

This was in the newspapers in Birmingham.

LyricalDrug said:

If she had used it only while reading from the James Cleveland hymn, fine. But she adopted it several times during her address, including a quotation from St. Paul whom, to my knowledge, was not from Alabama.
I'd say Hillary got off pretty easy compared to the sh#tstorm that would have followed a Republican speaking to a black congregation in such a manner.

INDY500 said:

If she had used it only while reading from the James Cleveland hymn, fine. But she adopted it several times during her address, including a quotation from St. Paul whom, to my knowledge, was not from Alabama.
I'd say Hillary got off pretty easy compared to the sh#tstorm that would have followed a Republican speaking to a black congregation in such a manner.

Cry me a river. Republicans are just jealous that Hillary Clinton is embraced warmly by the African-American community, and meanwhile, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," to invoke a Kanye-ism. Given that Hillary's speech was enough to draw a standing ovation, and it was before a southern crowd, I don't think she has to apologize to anyone.

If anyone deserves getting ragged on for copping a bullsh*t southern accent, it's George Bush. He never had one before he became a politician, and half the time he uses it, and half the time he doesn't. It's just ridiculous. It reminds me of Kevin Costner's performance in 'Robin Hood,' where he randomly decided to use an English accent for oh, about half the scenes.

:wink:

LyricalDrug said:

Cry me a river. Republicans are just jealous that Hillary Clinton is embraced warmly by the African-American community, and meanwhile, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," to invoke a Kanye-ism. Given that Hillary's speech was enough to draw a standing ovation, and it was before a southern crowd, I don't think she has to apologize to anyone.

If anyone deserves getting ragged on for copping a bullsh*t southern accent, it's George Bush. He never had one before he became a politician, and half the time he uses it, and half the time he doesn't. It's just ridiculous. It reminds me of Kevin Costner's performance in 'Robin Hood,' where he randomly decided to use an English accent for oh, about half the scenes.

:wink:

Or George Bush singing the national anthem in Spanish in front of Hispanic crowds.
All polititians try and make "that special connection" with a crowd, sometimes it works and sometimes you come off as a clown.
images

Brownback supports Pace's remark on gays By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press Writer
23 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record) is backing the Pentagon's top general over his remarks that homosexuality is immoral.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Kansas senator planned to send a letter on Thursday to President Bush supporting Marine Gen. Peter Pace, who earlier this week likened homosexuality to adultery and said the military should not condone it by allowing gay personnel to serve openly.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs also said: "I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts."

Lawmakers of both parties criticized the remarks, but Brownback's letter called the criticism "both unfair and unfortunate."

"We should not expect someone as qualified, accomplished and articulate as General Pace to lack personal views on important moral issues," Brownback said. "In fact, we should expect that anyone entrusted with such great responsibility will have strong moral views."

Asked whether he agreed with Pace's comments, Brownback said: "I do not believe being a homosexual is immoral, but I do believe homosexual acts are. I'm a Catholic and the church has clear teachings on this."

While there is no indication that Pace's job is in jeopardy, Brownback's letter to Bush said "personal moral beliefs" should not disqualify anyone from a position of leadership in the U.S. military.

"General Pace's recent remarks do not deserve the criticism they have received," the letter said. "In fact, we applaud General Pace for maintaining a personal commitment to moral principles."

Pace said he supports the military's "don't ask, don't tell policy" in which gay service members are required to keep their sexual orientation private. Brownback on Thursday said "don't ask, don't tell" is "an appropriate policy."

Brownback, a favorite of the religious right, has been a prominent opponent of gay marriage.

Brownback spokesman Brian Hart said the senator was working Thursday to get other lawmakers to sign his letter. Hart said Brownback's office would not disclose who has signed on to the letter until there is "a final count."

On his campaign bus in Iowa on Thursday, Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., declined to comment when asked whether he agreed with Gen. Peter Pace's comment that homosexuality was immoral. He said he still backs the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. "It's working."
:down:

Well Hillary Clinton wouldn't say whether she thinks homosexuality is immoral or not, and neither would any of the other Democratic candidates-not that I heard about or read.

Brownback doesn't get that Pace's personal moral views have no place in military policy, and that in his position he needs to keep them private. He should "don't tell' them.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Wel Hillary Clinton wouldn't say whether she thinks homosexuality is immoral or not, and neither would any of the other Democratic candidates-not that I heard about or read.

Both Hillary and Obama issued statements today stating that it is not immoral. They obviously faced pressure to do so.

I wonder how many focus groups they considered before issuing their statements. I'll have to look them up. I wish just once someone would have the moral conviction to speak out on something like that without being afraid of political consequences.

Appearing on Bloomberg News, Sen. Hillary Clinton:

"Well I've heard from a number of my friends and I've certainly clarified with them any misunderstanding that anyone had, because I disagree with General Pace completely. I do not think homosexuality is immoral. But the point I was trying to make is that this policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell is not working. I have been against it for many years because I think it does a grave injustice to patriotic Americans who want to serve their country. And so I have called for its repeal and I'd like to follow the lead of our allies like, Great Britain and Israel and let people who wish to serve their country be able to join and do so. And then let the uniform code of military justice determine if conduct is inappropriate or unbecoming. That's fine. That's what we do with everybody. But let's not be eliminating people because of who they are or who they love."

Why didn't she just say it in the first place long before her friends questioned it?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usgays0315,0,2870261,print.story

"So why the dance? Clinton and Obama supporters, speaking on condition of anonymity, said both might have been trying to avoid offending socially conservative Democrats, particularly churchgoing African-Americans, who share Pace's views.

Steve Sanders, a gay Democrat who sat on the party's platform committee in 2000, said Clinton and Obama are engaged in a delicate balancing act. "Hillary and Barack have made very public overtures to religious Americans. They are trying to figure out how progressive Democrats can also make appeals to Americans of faith. It's a work in progress."

Last edited:
Why do politicians keep using that term?

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa CNN) -- Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, issued an apology for his use of the phrase "tar baby" in response to a question he received at his mid-day town hall meeting in Cedar Falls, Iowa on Friday.

A questioner asked McCain whether as president he "would be bold enough to address the issue of equal access to children for fathers that have gone through divorce."

The Republican presidential candidate responded, "I'm sorry to disappoint you, I am not going to overturn divorce court decisions. That's why we have courts and that's why people go to court and get a divorce. If I as President of the United States said this decision has to be overturned without the proper appeals process then I would be disturbing our entire system of government... But for me to stand here before all these people and say that I'm going declare divorces invalid because someone feels that they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a, uh, uh, tar baby of enormous proportions. For me to stand here before all these people and say that I'm going declare divorces invalid because someone feels that they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a, uh, uh, tar baby of enormous proportions."

Later at a press conference, CNN's Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley asked McCain about his use of the phrase "tar baby," viewed by some as having racist overtones.

"I hope that it's not viewed that way," McCain said. "It was a situation where if I kept going on that I would then be overturning court decisions. I don't think I should have used that word and it was wrong to do so."

NY Times

Somewhere in Iowa

A transcript of the encounter follows. (Weaver is John Weaver, his senior adviser, and Brian is Mr. Jones, his press secretary):

Reporter: “Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?”

Mr. McCain: “Well I think it’s a combination. The guy I really respect on this is Dr. Coburn. He believes – and I was just reading the thing he wrote– that you should do what you can to encourage abstinence where there is going to be sexual activity. Where that doesn’t succeed, than he thinks that we should employ contraceptives as well. But I agree with him that the first priority is on abstinence. I look to people like Dr. Coburn. I’m not very wise on it.”

(Mr. McCain turns to take a question on Iraq, but a moment later looks back to the reporter who asked him about AIDS.)

Mr. McCain: “I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”

Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”

Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

This went on for a few more moments until a reporter from the Chicago Tribune broke in and asked Mr. McCain about the weight of a pig that he saw at the Iowa State Fair last year.

Reporter- "Senator McCain, do you think if you put your hand in an open flame on a stove that you'd get burned"

McCain- "Well you've stumped me. I used to have a position on that in the past, let me get one of my aides to find that out"

McCain is a disgrace.

If some official in the Catholic Church said he didn't know whether contraceptives decreased the spread of AIDS, everyone would be calling him negligent and irresponsible. This is no different.

anitram said:
McCain is a disgrace.

If some official in the Catholic Church said he didn't know whether contraceptives decreased the spread of AIDS, everyone would be calling him negligent and irresponsible. This is no different.

qft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom