Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:51 PM
The right wing of the Republican Party will kill Giuliani. That's too bad, because he's the only Republican worth a damn in my book.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
The right wing of the Republican Party will kill Giuliani. That's too bad, because he's the only Republican worth a damn in my book.
Your book is one page longer than my book:

'Democrats Worth A Damn'
By Indy500

Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #93
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:51 PM
perhaps rudy won't need the republican party...

Quote:
On paper, Rudy's unsure
Giuliani's government filings don't lend hints to his presidential run - he hasn't submitted a declaration form or checked the Republican box

BY CRAIG GORDON
NEWSDAY WASHINGTON BUREAU; Staff writer Tom Brune contributed to this story.

February 2, 2007

WASHINGTON - Republicans looking at Rudolph Giuliani's campaign for president always ask two questions - is he really running, and is he a "real Republican?"

They're probably not going to like the answers found by Newsday in Giuliani's government filings.

The ex-mayor still is holding back from submitting the simple one-page form declaring himself a possible candidate, despite raising $1.4 million to run. And asked what party he belongs to on a different form, Giuliani didn't say - he left the answer blank.

Not so for chief rivals John McCain and Mitt Romney. Both have filed the candidacy paperwork, and both gave a straightforward answer when asked their party affiliation: "Rep," or Republican.

Giuliani's campaign insisted he isn't spending enough to file a statement of candidacy - a view one election-law expert disputed last night - and that leaving out his party was a meaningless omission.

"The mayor continues to be a proud member of the Republican Party, and we are extremely encouraged by the response from Republicans across the country to his potential run for president," Giuliani spokeswoman Katie Levinson said.

The documents appear likely to fuel doubts among Republicans about whether Giuliani really wants to run. Many still remember his on-again, off-again interest in running for Senate in 2000, a campaign he ultimately quit after being diagnosed with prostate cancer.

The seeming dodge on his party affiliation, however, could make some Republicans see red.

It's no secret Giuliani would have a better shot at the White House if he didn't have to win the Republican nomination first. His views on social issues are out of step with his party.

And the omission raises the question of whether Giuliani is leaving the door open a crack to run not as a Republican at all, but as an independent.

Giuliani's campaign confirmed that leaving off the Republican designation wasn't a typo. It was the campaign's "judgment that we didn't have to fill in that box," said a campaign lawyer. The lawyer said an update filed Wednesday lists him as a Republican, though that form couldn't be found on the Federal Election Commission Web site.

The lawyer said Giuliani held back a statement of candidacy in November because he genuinely wasn't sure he'd run. He's still just "testing the waters," the lawyer said, on condition of anonymity.

Another election-law expert, Kenneth Gross, said Giuliani's spending exceeds the FEC cut-off for merely testing a possible race and that he now should file the added paperwork.

This isn't Giuliani's first unusual filing. In 1998, he filed a statement of candidacy - but put on the line for office sought "undecided." Responding to an FEC query, he replied, "I am as of now still undecided as to the federal office, if any, for which I may become a candidate."
a dream of rudy and mayor mike running a self financed independent ticket together just flashed through my head... surely to be crushed in due times.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
perhaps rudy won't need the republican party...

a dream of rudy and mayor mike running a self financed independent ticket together just flashed through my head... surely to be crushed in due times.
i dunno...maybenot so soon to be crushed. a lot of people like him, i'm sure he'd do better in the polls than any of the past independent candidates.

i think this is the hottest stove i've ever experienced in any campaign during my lifetime.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

Hey that's my favorite Mellencamp song!

Aaaaaaanyway...I feel weird to not be backing anyone at this point. I keep waffling among several different candidates, but I haven't made up my mind.
Me too. Obama, Edwards, Gore...Richardson? Clark (VP)? I am so confused, especially by the fact that I don't have a strong opinion, or any opinion at this point.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Comedian Al Franken has decided to run for U.S. Senate in Minnesota in challenging incumbent Republican Norm Coleman, a senior Democratic official told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The official, who requested anonymity because Franken has not made an announcement, said that the comedian and former star of NBC's "Saturday Night Live" told her of his decision recently.

Andy Barr, the political director of Franken's Midwest Values Political Action Committee, declined to comment.

The news was not unexpected. Franken has been calling members of the Minnesota congressional delegation to get their input on a run, and he announced this week that he would be leaving his show on Air America Radio on Feb. 14. He told listeners he would be making a decision on a race soon.

Should he win the Democratic primary in Minnesota, Franken would take on Coleman, a first-term senator who is among the Democrats' top targets.
Andy Barr went to my high school. He brought Franken to speak my last year of high school. Anyway, this will come as no surprise to anyone who has read his fantasy in Truth.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #97
Refugee

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Clinton-Obama or Clinton-Edwards.

No one else could have the steamrolling effect her campaign will have.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Clinton is too divisive. I don't know who I'll support, but Hillary's too controversial to be electable. I don't know, alot of people are too controversial to be electable.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Your book is one page longer than my book:

'Democrats Worth A Damn'
By Indy500
That would be a short book; it would only have one page and 3 words:

Zell Miller, Retired.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Zell Miller, Retired.

do you really think Zell Miller is worth a damn?

come on -- i can think of some Replublicans worth a damn, are our conservatives in FYM so partisan that they can't find a single democrat they like?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

come on -- i can think of some Replublicans worth a damn, are our conservatives in FYM so partisan that they can't find a single democrat they like?
I named Zell because he's my favorite.

There may indeed be other Democrats I like, but each and every one of them would be a conservative.

And that's the key for me; I'm conservative first, then Republican.

I do think that you calling the 3 or 4 of us conservatives "partisan" is kinda funny considering how many liberal free your minders are every bit as partisan.

Why don't you ask Verte that question; Verte was the one who said that Rudy was the only good Republican.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Of coarse it's tongue in cheek. There are many retired or ex-Democrats like Zell Miller, David Boren and of coarse Ronald Ray-gun, as Bono called him. I've voted for Evan Bayh for Gov & the Senate. In addition, several of the new House and Senate members may prove to "be worth a damn."

Curious, why only question the conservatives about partisanship and not Verte76? After all, out of the thousands of elected Republicans, Verte76 finds but one "worth a damn." It's not like my name is U2Republican or something.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I do think that you calling the 3 or 4 of us conservatives "partisan" is kinda funny considering how many liberal free your minders are every bit as partisan.

Why don't you ask Verte that question; Verte was the one who said that Rudy was the only good Republican.
I took so long fartin' around and typing you beat me to the question.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:

Zell Miller, Retired.
If you can give me a liberal Republican that would go to the Democratic Nominating Convention
and rail and rant against the Republican nominee

than you may have a case
that Zell is worth a damn

but for now
he seems to be just a useless bag of sh*t
Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

that just reminded be...wasn't there a democrat from a southern state, that went to the Republican National Convention? I can't remember his name, but I do remember fearing for my life. His speech scared the mess outta me. You'd think that Kerry had bullied him as a kid or something. he was bashing democrats too!

as for being partisan, one could say that i am, but i'm really not. i'm issue minded, and to be honest, neither party really gets it, IMHO. it just so happens i will usually vote democratic because i'm hoping for progress, and an evolution of thought that comes with change. and sometimes i feel even outcasted from the democratic party. there would be an even shorter book written by me entitled: Politicans Worth a Damn.