Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #541
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:44 PM

Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Hmmm

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Elizabeth Edwards, the wife of Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, is gaining attention for recent comments on why her husband may receive less attention from the media – and campaign cash — than the two leading Democratic candidates.

“We can’t make John black, we can’t make him a woman,” said Edwards, referring to Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and New York Sen. Hillary Clinton during an interview with Ziff Davis Media about the Internet’s role in the 2008 presidential election. “Those things get you a certain amount of fundraising dollars.”

The interview was published Monday.

Considered a top tier presidential candidate, former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards lags significantly behind Clinton and Obama in fundraising and in national polls.

During the interview, Elizabeth Edwards attributed the Internet as a way to bypass the “sieve of mainstream media” and reach voters despite receiving less publicity than her husband’s chief rivals.

“The idea that you have people standing between you and the voter is diminished, and the capacity to speak directly empowers candidates to trust their own voices,” she said.

“Now it’s nice to get on the news, but not the be all and end all,” Edwards added.

Eric Schultz, a spokesman for Edwards’ campaign, told CNN Tuesday that Elizabeth Edwards was “noting what countless reporters and pundits have said for months, that Senators Clinton and Obama get a lot of media attention, and deservedly so, because of the potential ‘firsts’ of their candidacies.”

“But the reality is, with so many candidates in this race, we just have to work a little harder to get our message out and inform the people about John Edwards’ bold vision for America,” he added.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #543
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Barack Obama cant decide if he would invite Barry Bonds to the White House, but he is certain he knows how to handle foreign policy and wants to bomb Pakistan.

This man wants to be president.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #544
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Barack Obama cant decide if he would invite Barry Bonds to the White House, but he is certain he knows how to handle foreign policy and wants to bomb Pakistan.

This man wants to be president.
I don't think he's alone in that regard. Why should we get on his case for that too?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #545
Blue Crack Addict

i don't even understand how that question is relevant. i wonder if somebody was trying to trap him in something, but i can't figure out what.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #546
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i don't even understand how that question is relevant. i wonder if somebody was trying to trap him in something, but i can't figure out what.
No, that's my point. It was a simple, fun question, and he couldnt answer it. It was PMSNBC and Keith Olbermann. Do you really think they would try to trap Obama? It was a simple question, and he didn't know what he would do. I think that says something about the man.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #547
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No, that's my point. It was a simple, fun question, and he couldnt answer it. It was PMSNBC and Keith Olbermann. Do you really think they would try to trap Obama? It was a simple question, and he didn't know what he would do. I think that says something about the man.
i'm no fan of obama's platform, but i can think of loads of other reasons that speak to his incompetency than this question. to be quite honest, i think this was just an example of how he and many other candidates (on both sides) avoid the question (whether simple/fun or direct and controversial) when they are put on the spot. keith DID have to ask him twice.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #548
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:44 PM

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0807/5290.html
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #549
Blue Crack Addict

^ yes, the American public within swing states is more likely to be anti-gay than not. News? Not really.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #550
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Barack Obama cant decide if he would invite Barry Bonds to the White House,
Who gives a shit? What would that have to do with anything?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #551
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Newsflash: Being tolerant and open-minded could cost politicians. Hello, it's been that way since day one...

At one point being anti-slavery would have cost you a vote, it's those that are ahead of social issues that shape this nation. The right and for the most part middle America have ALWAYS been on the wrong side of history with social issues.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #552
Blue Crack Addict

I'd invite Barry to the White House-just hide the syringes I guess it's not about Barry Bonds, it's about Obama hedging on the question. He does seem to hedge/avoid quite a bit, but don't they all? They're all afraid of losing votes and they tailor answers accordingly.

Barack's Barry Bonds baseball bust
By: Howard Mortman
August 8, 2007 politico.com

Did Barack Obama swing and miss with Barry Bonds?

A rare confluence of two great American institutions -- politics and baseball -- occurred Tuesday night. Shortly before Bonds hit his record-breaking 756th career home run, Obama was asked at the Democratic presidential candidate forum in Chicago whether, if he were president today, he would honor Bonds at the White House. The senator responded this way:

"First of all, he’s still gotta hit one more, and it’s been taking a while. I had the opportunity to meet Hank Aaron just this past weekend. It reminded me of what sports should be, and that is something that young people can look up to.

"Now, Barry Bonds is a remarkable baseball player, and I honor his achievement. But I hope that all of us are focused on making sure that sports is something that kids can look up to, not something that they start feeling cynical about. We’ve got enough cynicism in politics without having cynicism in our sports teams as well.”

Pressed by the moderator whether that was a yes or a no, Obama offered, “Like I said, he hasn’t done it yet, so we’ll answer the question when he does.”

Obama’s response prompts more questions, starting with, Huh? Other questions include: What was wrong with answering the question straightforwardly then, mere hours before Bonds hit No. 756? What difference would it have made before or after No. 756? How would that additional home run have affected Obama’s thoughts? Had he not given the matter any thought -- or if he had, was there political calculation in sidestepping?

Obama effectively told his audience to wait for his answer. But there’s little doubt that most already had their own opinion of Bonds. This isn’t inside baseball, as it were. This is the big picture. We are a nation of strong views about Barry Bonds’ place in the pantheon of heroes.

This makes it fascinating that Obama may be one of the few Americans without an opinion on Bonds -- or at least one he’s readily willing to reveal. Consider the ample polls taken on our attitudes toward Bonds:

-- 42 percent in a July 2007 AP/Ipsos poll said they hoped Bonds fell short of the record.

-- Over half in a June 2007 NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll said that even if Bonds finished with more career homers, Aaron would still be the true record holder.

-- A May 2007 ESPN/ABC News poll showed that more than half of baseball fans were rooting against Barry Bonds.

And these headlines: From an April 2007 CBS News poll, “Public Divided Over Barry Bonds” and from a March 2006 Gallup poll, “Baseball Fans' Views of Barry Bonds Mixed.”

These days, it’s tough not to have an opinion of Barry Bonds.

Yes, Bonds presents a difficult issue. By contrast, Aaron had the support of three-quarters of the people polled when he was closing in on Babe Ruth’s record. That was the easy one.

The question whether Bonds’ record is tainted is an ideal, even profound, one to frame the presidential campaign. Not necessarily to solve the issue for Bonds -- we may never get a complete answer -- but to get a fuller picture of our candidates’ values.

Cheating, role models for youth, achieving greatness, hero worship -- there’s lots of societal issues wrapped up in Barry Bonds. It’s an American dilemma.

Others in leadership have taken stances on this difficult issue. Bud Selig’s hands-in-pockets snubbing of Bonds during the home-run chase was about as bold as a baseball commissioner can get. (And what a fascinating contrast that Selig avoids Bonds, while Obama would seek out the world’s thugs.) Presidential candidates, who have nothing more at stake in the matter than rhetoric, can go a lot further. And they should. In fact, when he announced his candidacy for president, Obama denounced “our chronic avoidance of tough decisions.” Amen.

Barry Bonds: Hero or villain? It’s a great American debate -- and it belongs in the presidential race.

Howard Mortman is the public affairs practice director for New Media Strategies in Arlington, Va., where he writes the Extreme Mortman blog.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #553
Blue Crack Addict

I still don't get why it belongs in the presidential race. And if candidates don't know what they would do, they're pretty much like the majority of Americans, who are conflicted on the issue.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #554
Blue Crack Distributor

Ok, should this thread be moved to PEUP now, or...

I'm confoozed.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #555
Blue Crack Addict

obama would've earned some points from me if his response was "i'm sorry, that question belongs in the PEUP forum. this is an FYM topic."