Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #496
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Gore has established himself outside of Clinton's shadow over the last 7 years, it could get interesting if he stepped into the race.
Indeed. He'd win in a landslide. He doesn't even really talk like the stiff politician he used to be anymore--he talks like a sincere human being now, sort of like he found his voice and it sounds a lot different than everyone else's whose running. But he's been very clear he's not running, or at least he was clear about that the last time I heard him talk, which was on Larry King a month or so ago. I sure wish he'd change his mind.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:18 AM
I've got Assault On Reason on my dresser waiting to be read for when I go to the beach in the next 2 weeks...I'm looking forward to it.

I'm still undecided, but if he jumped in I might consider backing him.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #498
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Is he any better at these things now?

Cuz a lot of Dems are saying that if he chose to step into the race he'd be the automatic front runner. Which seems ridiculous if he's a "lousy campaigner who had trouble winning elections."
He'd have no serious competition to win the democratic nomination

Neither Hillary or Obama would would beat whoever the Republicans put forward, Gore would have a chance
Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Neither Hillary or Obama would would beat whoever the Republicans put forward
This is such a myth.

Hillary can, and in my opinion, would beat every single Republican out there. And no, she is not my first pick. But this myth that she's not electable is just that - a myth. She wins the electoral college without great difficulty.

Here's Mitt Romney with absolutely no class:

Old 07-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

I think America will have Republican fatigue...and the GOP's field of candidates is even more pitiful than the Democrats, Hillary and Obama can win.

...and yes, Mitt was being very tasteless there.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #501
Blue Crack Supplier

with McCain nearly washed up, and the creeping reality that the more "the base" of the Republican Party gets to know of Giuliani the less they like him (this is already happening), it's quite possible that the nomination could be Romney's or Fred Thompson's. and i think both would be destroyed by any of the top four Democratic candidates. the Mormon thing -- whether fair or not -- weighs heavily on Romney, despite the fact that, while i think many of his positions are borderline insane (expand Gitmo!?!?), he does strike me as a grown-up and a competent manager. at least in comparison to the most wildly incompetent child that's ever occupied the white house.

basically, with McCain on the skids, all the Democrats simply come off as far more serious and qualified than any of the rest of the Republcians. like her or hate her, at least Hillary is a grown up and has reams of experience. she isn't my first choice -- i think we need to get beyond the polarization of the Baby Boom as soon as possible -- but i think even her detractors would trust her more with leadership of the country than Fred Thompson or Mitt Romney.

i really do.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #502
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

This is such a myth.

Hillary can, and in my opinion, would beat every single Republican out there. And no, she is not my first pick. But this myth that she's not electable is just that - a myth. She wins the electoral college without great difficulty.

Here's Mitt Romney with absolutely no class:

I'm not saying she's any worse than Republican, but if anyone will unite non-liberals (i.e, the middle ground that Reagan won over and Clinton won back) on the side of the Republicans it would be Hillary.

Let's re-visit this thread if she gets the Dem nod
Old 07-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #503
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
He doesn't even really talk like the stiff politician he used to be anymore--he talks like a sincere human being now, sort of like he found his voice and it sounds a lot different than everyone else's whose running.
I agree. He sounds much more sincere and natural ever since he started stumping for the environment. Light years more sincere than Mrs. Clinton. If he carried that vibe over into a presidential campaign, he'd have a winning edge in the national election.

But would he want to give up the charmed life he has now for a fight with the Clinton political machine?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #504
ONE
love, blood, life

I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #505
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs
And you take pride in this? Aren't you suppose to support the sanctity of marriage? Hoping for someone's divorce that's almost as low as ranking a sick woman's thread.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #506
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

dbs

Hillary will just go back to the Senate, and Clinton will continue to be the most effective ex-president since Jimmy Carter.

Freddy Thompson doesn't care enough or work hard enough. he's another GOP consensus candidate, with that "electability" factor, but after 8 years of this Bush nightmare, voters, Dems and Independents and moderate Republicans, are all hungry for someone who consults people other than a "higher father" and demonstrates at least a modicum of curiosity about the world and how our actions affect that world.

the Bush-effect will be incalcuable. easily one of the worst presidents in history, the GOP will be forever defining themselves in opposition to him, or outright ignorning him.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Hillary will just go back to the Senate, and Clinton will continue to be the most effective ex-president since Jimmy Carter.

Freddy Thompson doesn't care enough or work hard enough. he's another GOP consensus candidate, with that "electability" factor, but after 8 years of this Bush nightmare, voters, Dems and Independents and moderate Republicans, are all hungry for someone who consults people other than a "higher father" and demonstrates at least a modicum of curiosity about the world and how our actions affect that world.

the Bush-effect will be incalcuable. easily one of the worst presidents in history, the GOP will be forever defining themselves in opposition to him, or outright ignorning him.
Well, they managed to get over Hoover (another Republican president that managed to bungle a national emergency), but it took what, 20 years?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #508
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And you take pride in this? Aren't you suppose to support the sanctity of marriage? Hoping for someone's divorce that's almost as low as ranking a sick woman's thread.
That is pretty bad.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #509
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Does Fred Thompson have any qualifications for the role whatsoever?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #510
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:18 PM
He has a SAG card and he's conservative, that's all the Republicans need.