Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #496
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Gore has established himself outside of Clinton's shadow over the last 7 years, it could get interesting if he stepped into the race.
Indeed. He'd win in a landslide. He doesn't even really talk like the stiff politician he used to be anymore--he talks like a sincere human being now, sort of like he found his voice and it sounds a lot different than everyone else's whose running. But he's been very clear he's not running, or at least he was clear about that the last time I heard him talk, which was on Larry King a month or so ago. I sure wish he'd change his mind.
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #497
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 03:18 AM
I've got Assault On Reason on my dresser waiting to be read for when I go to the beach in the next 2 weeks...I'm looking forward to it.

I'm still undecided, but if he jumped in I might consider backing him.
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #498
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean


Is he any better at these things now?

Cuz a lot of Dems are saying that if he chose to step into the race he'd be the automatic front runner. Which seems ridiculous if he's a "lousy campaigner who had trouble winning elections."
He'd have no serious competition to win the democratic nomination

Neither Hillary or Obama would would beat whoever the Republicans put forward, Gore would have a chance
__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #499
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Neither Hillary or Obama would would beat whoever the Republicans put forward
This is such a myth.

Hillary can, and in my opinion, would beat every single Republican out there. And no, she is not my first pick. But this myth that she's not electable is just that - a myth. She wins the electoral college without great difficulty.

Here's Mitt Romney with absolutely no class:

__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #500
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 03:18 AM
I think America will have Republican fatigue...and the GOP's field of candidates is even more pitiful than the Democrats, Hillary and Obama can win.


...and yes, Mitt was being very tasteless there.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #501
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 10:18 PM
with McCain nearly washed up, and the creeping reality that the more "the base" of the Republican Party gets to know of Giuliani the less they like him (this is already happening), it's quite possible that the nomination could be Romney's or Fred Thompson's. and i think both would be destroyed by any of the top four Democratic candidates. the Mormon thing -- whether fair or not -- weighs heavily on Romney, despite the fact that, while i think many of his positions are borderline insane (expand Gitmo!?!?), he does strike me as a grown-up and a competent manager. at least in comparison to the most wildly incompetent child that's ever occupied the white house.

basically, with McCain on the skids, all the Democrats simply come off as far more serious and qualified than any of the rest of the Republcians. like her or hate her, at least Hillary is a grown up and has reams of experience. she isn't my first choice -- i think we need to get beyond the polarization of the Baby Boom as soon as possible -- but i think even her detractors would trust her more with leadership of the country than Fred Thompson or Mitt Romney.

i really do.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #502
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


This is such a myth.

Hillary can, and in my opinion, would beat every single Republican out there. And no, she is not my first pick. But this myth that she's not electable is just that - a myth. She wins the electoral college without great difficulty.

Here's Mitt Romney with absolutely no class:

I'm not saying she's any worse than Republican, but if anyone will unite non-liberals (i.e, the middle ground that Reagan won over and Clinton won back) on the side of the Republicans it would be Hillary.

Let's re-visit this thread if she gets the Dem nod
__________________
toscano is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #503
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
He doesn't even really talk like the stiff politician he used to be anymore--he talks like a sincere human being now, sort of like he found his voice and it sounds a lot different than everyone else's whose running.
I agree. He sounds much more sincere and natural ever since he started stumping for the environment. Light years more sincere than Mrs. Clinton. If he carried that vibe over into a presidential campaign, he'd have a winning edge in the national election.

But would he want to give up the charmed life he has now for a fight with the Clinton political machine?
__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #504
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 08:18 PM
I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #505
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,654
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs
And you take pride in this? Aren't you suppose to support the sanctity of marriage? Hoping for someone's divorce that's almost as low as ranking a sick woman's thread.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #506
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs


Hillary will just go back to the Senate, and Clinton will continue to be the most effective ex-president since Jimmy Carter.

Freddy Thompson doesn't care enough or work hard enough. he's another GOP consensus candidate, with that "electability" factor, but after 8 years of this Bush nightmare, voters, Dems and Independents and moderate Republicans, are all hungry for someone who consults people other than a "higher father" and demonstrates at least a modicum of curiosity about the world and how our actions affect that world.

the Bush-effect will be incalcuable. easily one of the worst presidents in history, the GOP will be forever defining themselves in opposition to him, or outright ignorning him.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #507
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




Hillary will just go back to the Senate, and Clinton will continue to be the most effective ex-president since Jimmy Carter.

Freddy Thompson doesn't care enough or work hard enough. he's another GOP consensus candidate, with that "electability" factor, but after 8 years of this Bush nightmare, voters, Dems and Independents and moderate Republicans, are all hungry for someone who consults people other than a "higher father" and demonstrates at least a modicum of curiosity about the world and how our actions affect that world.

the Bush-effect will be incalcuable. easily one of the worst presidents in history, the GOP will be forever defining themselves in opposition to him, or outright ignorning him.
Well, they managed to get over Hoover (another Republican president that managed to bungle a national emergency), but it took what, 20 years?
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #508
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


And you take pride in this? Aren't you suppose to support the sanctity of marriage? Hoping for someone's divorce that's almost as low as ranking a sick woman's thread.
That is pretty bad.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #509
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:18 AM
Does Fred Thompson have any qualifications for the role whatsoever?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #510
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,654
Local Time: 09:18 PM
He has a SAG card and he's conservative, that's all the Republicans need.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com