Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just excited and proud to have a woman running. I would never vote for someone just for that reason, and it's way too early to make up my mind. But she is in for hell, I know that..good luck to her.

Another one-pretty soon the list of who is NOT running will be shorter

WASHINGTON (AP) - Gov. Bill Richardson, D-N.M., said Sunday he is taking the first step toward an expected White House run in 2008, offering extensive experience in Washington and the world stage as he seeks to become the first Hispanic president.

"I am taking this step because we have to repair the damage that's been done to our country over the last six years," said Richardson, a former congressman, U.N. ambassador and Energy Department secretary.

"Our reputation in the world is diminished, our economy has languished, and civility and common decency in government has perished," he said in a statement.

He said he had set up an exploratory committee that will allow him to begin raising money and assembling his campaign organization.

"The governor is in it to run for president," spokesman Pahl Shipley said. The formal announcement will come in March after the end of New Mexico's legislative session, he said.

I was surprised to see that McCain and Hillary were virtually tied in some early polling that Meet The Press showed this morning. I can't remember who did the poll, but anyway, she is bridging the gap.

McCain didn't look much like his party's frontrunner on Meet The Press either. He looked very tired. Although his arguments for the war were legitimate and made sense to a degree, he didn't deliver them with any particular confidence. Tried to make a few awkward jokes that didn't come off real well either. He's in a tight spot right now.

We expect him to extricate our country from this before he leaves office" in January 2009, the former first lady said.

Clinton held a town hall-style forum attended by about 300 activists, giving a brief speech before taking questions for nearly an hour. Pressed to defend her vote to authorize force in Iraq before the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003, Clinton responded by stepping up her criticism of Bush.

"I am going to level with you, the president has said this is going to be left to his successor," Clinton said. "I think it is the height of irresponsibility and I really resent it."

This seems a bit odd to me

Clinton said. "I think it is the height of irresponsibility and I really resent it."

Does she think she has a special claim on the presidency? it just sounds kind of arrogant

I don't recall W resenting Bill Clinton's failure to end BinLaden?

also, McCain could say he capable of leading without resentment

‘Vote for Mom’

By ROBIN TONER
New York Times, Jan. 29, 2007

WASHINGTON — Some women were struck by the politics of maternity practiced by Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton in recent weeks, the imagery and stagecraft that highlighted their roles as mothers and/or grandmothers. For some, the issues were complicated: Is this a throwback, or a step forward? Is it politically smart?

For a long time women seeking high office, particularly executive office, were advised to play down their softer, domestic side, and play up their strength and qualifications. Focus groups often found voters questioning whether women were strong enough, tough enough, to lead. Emily’s List, the Democratic women’s group, warned in an internal memo in 1988 that women must “fight throughout their campaigns to establish their qualifications, power, toughness and capacity to win.” Breakthrough candidates like Senator Dianne Feinstein, the California Democrat who campaigned unsuccessfully for governor under the slogan “tough and caring” in 1990, worked hard to ease those doubts...Today, many political strategists say women no longer have to be so defensive. Voters have grown more accustomed to women in powerful positions. And women like Ms. Pelosi and Mrs. Clinton, whatever other problems they may have, have been on the public scene long enough and are familiar enough players in the architecture of power that they no longer have to prove their strength day in and day out. In fact, strong leadership was seen as one of Mrs. Clinton’s core attributes in a CBS News Poll, conducted Jan. 18-21. 64% of the men surveyed, and 75% of the women, said Mrs. Clinton had strong qualities of leadership.

What this means, strategists say, is that motherhood and a focus on children can become one more political asset to be showcased — a way of humanizing a candidate and connecting with voters, especially other women. Ms. Pelosi took the speaker’s gavel, ordinarily a moment of raw legislative power, in a carefully structured tableau filled with children, some of them her own grandchildren. Mrs. Clinton held the first event of her presidential campaign surrounded by children at a health care clinic, where she announced her support for expanded health coverage for children. Aides to both women object to the idea that this is in any way contrived. Ms. Pelosi did, in fact, raise five children before she ran for office, and Mrs. Clinton raised one and has been an advocate on children’s issues since her days in law school. But candidates decide how to tell their story — George W. Bush highlighted his bipartisan friendships and alliances when he ran in 2000 — and there are good political reasons for Ms. Pelosi and Mrs. Clinton to highlight the maternal.

For Ms. Pelosi, relentlessly caricatured by the Republicans last year as a hard-edged, tax-raising liberal, the image of mother and grandmother takes the edge off the ideological cartoon. As Karen O’Connor, director of the Women and Politics Institute at American University, puts it, “For Nancy Pelosi, it becomes, ‘O.K., am I going to be the San Francisco liberal, or the woman who relates to all voting women, because I’ve raised five kids, I have several wonderful grandchildren and I can also run your House.’ ”
For Mrs. Clinton, highlighting the maternal is a way of building on what polls and strategists suggest are her clear advantages, like strength and intelligence, while compensating for what are widely considered her liabilities: a coolness, an excess of caution and a capacity to so polarize the electorate that many voters question her ability to win.

Several analysts said this softer approach also allowed Ms. Pelosi and Mrs. Clinton to offer a clear contrast with the leadership style of President Bush, which Democrats have asserted was a “my way or the highway” approach to governing.
Democrats also seem less worried these days about the old charge of being the “mommy party,” dedicated to domestic concerns while the Republicans, “the daddy party,” are trusted with national security. Democratic women were often warned over the years that the stereotypes of party and sex reinforced each other.

National security remains a threshold issue for voters but is no longer such an automatic advantage for the Republicans because they have lost so much support on the war in Iraq, the polls suggest. And neither Ms. Pelosi nor Mrs. Clinton is neglecting these issues. On the campaign trail in Iowa on Saturday, Mrs. Clinton argued that all of this — security, maternity, affordable health care — was part of her potential-first-woman-president package. “I’m going to be asking people to vote for me based on my entire life and experience,” she said. “The fact that I’m a woman, the fact that I’m a mom, is part of who I am.”

But there has been some debate in recent weeks about the uses of motherhood, on the left and the right. After Ms. Pelosi assumed the speakership, in a week of events that repeatedly highlighted children, Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor of The Nation, wrote on her blog, “I wonder why Pelosi, a woman I admire, seemed so keen to use her first day as speaker to portray herself as a traditional, family-first kind of woman...Many of the women I spoke to worry that the photo fed into the image of woman as one-dimensional.”

Mike Huckabee joins the race.

I thought this was interesting from his from his Meet The Press appearance on Sunday.
One of the things that I’m very passionate about is music and art and education because it was life-changing for me. I think in a creative economy we’ve got to have a whole group of kids coming up and a generation whose left and right brains are stimulated. It’s something I pushed for as a governor in Arkansas where we are one of the few states that required both music and art education. I’m a musician, I’m passionate about it, but I think this, this country has made a huge mistake in cutting music and art out of school budgets. And it’s something we’ve got to address because the future economy is dependent upon a creative generation.
:up:

Forget all about that macho shit
And learn how to play guitar!

INDY500 said:
Mike Huckabee joins the race.

Forget all about that macho shit
And learn how to play guitar!

Hey that's my favorite Mellencamp song! :happy:

Aaaaaaanyway...I feel weird to not be backing anyone at this point. I keep waffling among several different candidates, but I haven't made up my mind.

asmussenreports.comMon Jan 29, 10:58 AM ET

In the race for the Democratic Presidential nomination, a woman is the clear frontrunner and an African-American is clearly in the number two position. Between them, they attract support from roughly half of all Democrats.

However, despite the current support for Senators Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama (news, bio, voting record), 60% of American voters believe that Democrats are likely to nominate a White Male for President in 2008. Just 27% say that's not likely to happen. Among Democrats, 73% say their party is likely to nominate a White Male. That figure includes 30% who consider the possibility Very Likely and 43% who say it's Somewhat Likely.

There is no gender gap on this question, but 81% of black voters believe the Democrats will nominate a White Male. Fifty-eight percent (58%) of white voters agree. Earlier surveys had found that roughly eight-out-of-ten voters express a willingness to personally vote for either a woman or an African-American candidate. However, just over half believe their family, friends, and co-workers are willing to do the same.

Overall, 80% say that the next President of the United States is likely to be a White Male. Eighty-seven percent (87%) of Republicans hold this view along with 78% of Democrats. Among all voters, 46% say it's Very Likely that a White Male will be elected while 34% believe it's Somewhat Likely.

By an 89% to 4% margin, voters expect Republicans to nominate a White Male candidate. Early polls had shown that an African-American woman, Condoleezza Rice, had considerable support among GOP voters. However, it appears unlikely that she will be entering the competition. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R) consistently leads in polling for the Republican nomination while Arizona Senator John McCain (news, bio, voting record) (R) is close on his heels.

In General Election match-ups, Rudy Giuliani leads all Democrats including Clinton, Edwards, Obama, Gore, Richardson, Vilsack, and Biden. See a summary of all the contenders and how they match-up, both Democrats and Republicans.

This national telephone survey of 800 Likely Voters was conducted by Rasmussen Reports January 22-23, 2007. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 4 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence.

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

U2democrat said:

Aaaaaaanyway...I feel weird to not be backing anyone at this point. I keep waffling among several different candidates, but I haven't made up my mind.

Same here. I mean, I thought I was pretty sure I'd be 100% for Obama, but truth is, I can't really know for sure until I've seen what everyone is bringing to the table.

U2democrat said:

Actually, I think I'm 100% sure I'm gonna help Kucinich's campaign and vote for him. Though...I'm probably the only one :shrug:

Bluer White said:
Senator Brownback would seem to be right in Dobson's wheelhouse. That's not a winning candidate though.

May not be a winning candidate, but he's whom I have found to support.

80sU2isBest said:

May not be a winning candidate, but he's whom I have found to support.

Brownback, Huckabee and Romney are positioning themselves as "the conservative" candidate. If none of them make a huge impact in the polls by Fall, look for Newt to enter the race.

I'm sorry, but Brownback is just too...oh, what's the word...boring.

MrsSpringsteen said:
In General Election match-ups, Rudy Giuliani leads all Democrats including Clinton, Edwards, Obama, Gore, Richardson, Vilsack, and Biden.

:up:

Go Rudy!

And I agree, it will be a while before the U.S. elects a woman or an African American as President.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

not those who were sodomized with nightsticks by the NYPD.

while i'm sure louima is not a big fan of rudy (and it was a plunger, not that it matters), one can not cast blame on rudy for the actions of one rouge cop and the three wittnesses (also cops) who did nothing to stop it.

now you can certainly have a problem with rudy standing up in support of the NYPD during the louima and diallo incidents. but frankly, did he really have a choice? can one really effectively manage a large government while alienating the state's police force, even when some of it's members did outrageous, incredibly wrong things?

but, alas, rudy was not beloved by all new yorkers. this is very much true. he did win re-election in landslide victories, and after 9/11 he was loved by almost everyone (even sharpton gave him a pat on the back)... but many of his policies were controversial at the time, even though in retrospect the majority of them did, in fact, work.

redhotswami said:
I just thought of something...was Kennedy the last senator to be elected president? Anybody know? U2dem??

He was the last one, yes. LBJ was a senator as well, but as we all know was VP in between. Nixon also was briefly in the Senate before becoming VP.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

while i'm sure louima is not a big fan of rudy (and it was a plunger, not that it matters), one can not cast blame on rudy for the actions of one rouge cop and the three wittnesses (also cops) who did nothing to stop it.

ah, you're right, it was a plunger.

my comment was more that Giuliani's police tactics during the 1990s were seen by many as a bit Draconian. this is one reason why not all New Yorkers loved him, that and turning Times Square into Disneyland.

my own opinion, being an admirer and once frequent visitor of New York and not an actual New Yorker (though i think i get bonus points because my mom's from Brooklyn), is generally pretty good of Rudy, on the whole. you kind of need a heavy-hitting bastard-ass jerk-off to run a city like New York, and it was generally run very well and the city is a dramatically better place to live and work than it was in the late 80s'/early 90s.

and his unanimous 9-11 props are well deserved.

especially when one contrasts this to, say, My Pet Goat.

Rudy has no chance.

Photos of him in drag + his 98 marriages + being pro-choice + pro-gay marriage = Titanic sized disaster. It's gonna be a hilarious GOP primary.

anitram said:
Rudy has no chance.

Photos of him in drag + his 98 marriages + being pro-choice + pro-gay marriage = Titanic sized disaster.

Funny but all of that would make him the only Republican I could vote for :D

I went to a booksigning when he came out with Leadership. They said he wouldn't personalize any books, but my mother was getting one for her boss for her birthday and he took the time to ask her her name and wrote "happy birthday" in it- and there was a huge line there. I was impressed, and he was so gracious to everyone in the line that I could see. Obviously I know precious little about him compared to people from NYC, but I just like the guy.

anitram said:
Rudy has no chance.

Photos of him in drag

it would be a bit funny telling the rest of the world that this is our president...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IrE6FMpai8

giuliani-drag.jpg

take that, france!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Comedian Al Franken has decided to run for U.S. Senate in Minnesota in challenging incumbent Republican Norm Coleman, a senior Democratic official told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The official, who requested anonymity because Franken has not made an announcement, said that the comedian and former star of NBC's "Saturday Night Live" told her of his decision recently.

Andy Barr, the political director of Franken's Midwest Values Political Action Committee, declined to comment.

The news was not unexpected. Franken has been calling members of the Minnesota congressional delegation to get their input on a run, and he announced this week that he would be leaving his show on Air America Radio on Feb. 14. He told listeners he would be making a decision on a race soon.

Should he win the Democratic primary in Minnesota, Franken would take on Coleman, a first-term senator who is among the Democrats' top targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom