Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Irvine511 said:
can Republicans tell me why they've abandoned someone like McCain for someone as absolutely, positively substance-free as Fred Thompson.

I haven't abandoned McCain. Between the two, I'd actually lean slightly to McCain. Republicans, me included, despise his immigration philosophy, and that is why his support has slipped. Immigration is a huge issue for Republicans, as it should be for everyone. Just wait until Thompson officially enters tomorrow. Then he will be asked the specific policy questions just like everyone else, not just vague "the country should go this direction" talk. Ultimately, I think his support has basically peaked. For the nomination, I don't think Rudy is beatable at this point.

2861U2 said:

I haven't abandoned McCain. Between the two, I'd actually lean slightly to McCain. Republicans, me included, despise his immigration philosophy, and that is why his support has slipped. Immigration is a huge issue for Republicans, as it should be for everyone.

So now you are a two issue voter? At least you are growing... Good start.

Wrong direction, but good start.:wink:

abcnews.com

ABC News' Jonathan Greenberger Reports: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said Wednesday that this may be his last chance at running for president.

Asked if his '08 bid was just a strategic move to position himself for a run in 2012, Obama said he didn't think his wife would allow him to run again if it doesn't work out this time.

"Well, I'm not sure- I don't think my wife's going to let me do this twice. So let me be clear about that," Obama said while campaigning in Iowa.

Obama also sought to answer charges from his Democratic rivals that he is too inexperienced to be president, by pointing to his experience in the Illinois state legislature.

"I've been in elected office longer than John Edwards or Hillary Clinton," said Obama. "I've passed more bills I'm sure than either of them --certainly in the state legislative level."

Obama served eight years in the Illinois state Senate before his 2004 election to the United States Senate. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., is in her second term as a United States senator, following eight years she spent in the White House married to former President Bill Clinton. When Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., left the Senate following his 2004 vice presidential run, he had only served one six-year term.

Obama also took aim at Clinton's work on health care, arguing that the "closed" nature of the task force she led undermined the chances for reform.

"What the president can do," said Obama, "is shine the spotlight on the process and mobilize the American people to keep the pressure on. And that's something that didn't happen. And in some ways, in '93 that didn't happen because it was a closed process. And not everybody understood what was taking place, so when the insurance companies and the drug companies starting airing those Harry and Louise ads, you know, nobody really knew what was what. And that's why the American people have to be involved."

Obama's remarks come on the heels of a new ad, "Change," which seeks to position him as the anti-Washington and anti-lobbyist candidate.

i was in the waiting room to see my chiropractor on tuesday. cnn was on tv. 2 people were discussing the 3 democrat "front runners" clinton, obama, and edwards. i asked them to tell me the difference between the 3 platforms and they seriously couldn't. :|

unico said:
i was in the waiting room to see my chiropractor on tuesday. cnn was on tv. 2 people were discussing the 3 democrat "front runners" clinton, obama, and edwards. i asked them to tell me the difference between the 3 platforms and they seriously couldn't. :|

I would hazard a guess that they were uninformed rather than the Dems not having different platforms. Because as much as I probably wouldn't vote for Edwards, his platform is different and distinct and I'm neither an Edwards fan nor an American, but could still gather that much from news coverage.

MrsSpringsteen said:
abcnews.com

ABC News' Jonathan Greenberger Reports: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said Wednesday that this may be his last chance at running for president.

Asked if his '08 bid was just a strategic move to position himself for a run in 2012, Obama said he didn't think his wife would allow him to run again if it doesn't work out this time.

Hooray!

I don't think so. The people who would never vote for a black man would drag down the nominee. Not to mention the undeniable fact that he adds absolutely nothing to the ticket.

The people who would never vote for a black man are going to stay home next year anyway if the Republican nominee is either Romney or Guliani, so there's a good chance it wouldn't have as much of a negative effect as you assume.

2861U2 said:
I don't think so. The people who would never vote for a black man would drag down the nominee. Not to mention the undeniable fact that he adds absolutely nothing to the ticket.

"the undeniable fact"?

can you support that?

and most of the people who would "never vote for a black man" are the people who make up the base of the Republican Party.

2861U2 said:
I don't think so. The people who would never vote for a black man would drag down the nominee.

Ah yes, so we shouldn't support someone because the bigots don't like him. Excellent position there, buddy.

Not to mention the undeniable fact that he adds absolutely nothing to the ticket.

And this is so absolutely ill-informed I don't even know where to start.

http://www.clemson.edu/newsroom/special_reports/internal/Poll_details.htm

Thursday, September 6, 2007
Thompson, Clinton ahead in latest S.C. poll

Fred Thompson, who is officially launching his presidential bid today, leads in a new poll in South Carolina.

Thompson, the well-known actor and former Tennessee senator, received the support of 19 percent of Republicans surveyed in the Clemson University Palmetto Poll.

Rudy Giuliani, the national front-runner in most polls, was second with 18 percent, and John McCain was third with 15 percent.

Mitt Romney was fourth with 11 percent, but the August poll suggested he could grow his support -- he is much better known than a similar poll in October 2006 and is seen far more favorably as well.

Twenty percent of Republicans said they were still undecided. The South Carolina GOP primary has gained some prominence since party officials moved it up in the election calendar to Jan. 19.

Among S.C. Democrats, who are scheduled to go to the polls on Jan. 29, Hillary Clinton has a healthy lead over Barack Obama, 26 percent to 16 percent. Among African-American voters, who typically make up half the turnout, she leads 28 percent to 23 percent, according to the poll.

John Edwards, the former senator from neighboring North Carolina who won the South Carolina primary in 2004, was third with 10 percent. Of Democrats surveyed, 35 percent said they were undecided.

Irvine511 said:

and most of the people who would "never vote for a black man" are the people who make up the base of the Republican Party.

Are you sure you want to make that statement? I'd correct it if I were you.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:| And once more you bring absolutely nothing...

Incorrect. That was an expression of great joy that Obama may not run again.

If you want to talk about meaningless posts, I'm sure I could find a few that you have made.

Irvine511 said:

do you think racists vote affirmative-action supporting Democrats?

Your statement implied that most of the Republican party is racist. I would like it if you retracted that statement.

2861U2 said:

Incorrect. That was an expression of great joy that Obama may not run again.

If you want to talk about meaningless posts, I'm sure I could find a few that you have made.

And I could find quite a few of yours that have meanings that are truly scary.

2861U2 said:
Your statement implied that most of the Republican party is racist. I would like it if you retracted that statement.

That's a logical fallicy. Read his posts again. He said that most racists are Republicans.

phillyfan26 said:

He said that most racists are Republicans.

No, he didn't.

"and most of the people who would "never vote for a black man" are the people who make up the base of the Republican Party."

"Racists are the base of the Republican party." The base of the Republican party are racists. That's what it says, and I find it upsetting that it is going unchallenged.

To be fair, I also read "make up the base of the Republican Party" as implying something a bit more sweeping than saying, e.g., "most 'people who would never vote for a black man' wouldn't vote for a Democrat anyway."

But we're starting to slide into "Am not!" "Are too!" territory here.

I know that far, far too many Americans like him only because he is new, young and black. It's the image thing that you are constantly accusing the Republican party of falling into, despite the fact that I can't think of a bigger example of such image-adoration than Obama. That is what scares me, and I know that in 4 or 8 or 12 or however many years, he might actually get elected.

yolland said:

But we're starting to slide into "Am not!" "Are too!" territory here.

we are.

but when you've got nothing else to offer a conversation -- i have yet to read a word about why it's an "indisputable fact" that Obama brings "absolutely nothing" to a ticket -- this is what happens.

are most Republicans racist? no.

are most Racist republicans? yes.

are most of these racists Republicans what the GOP refers to as it's "base"? yes indeed.

you have Trent Lott.

you have George Allen.

you have Jessie Helms.

you had Strom Thurmond.

and you gave us ads like this (black men are going to fuck white women!):

ford_ad_160.jpg

and this (black men are going to rape white women!):

whorton-729677.png

2861U2 said:
despite the fact that I can't think of a bigger example of such image-adoration than Obama.

that's better than Thompson, who only has voice-adoration going on.

(and just wait until we start to hear about the places his penis has been)

2861U2 said:
I know that far, far too many Americans like him only because he is new, young and black. It's the image thing that you are constantly accusing the Republican party of falling into, despite the fact that I can't think of a bigger example of such image-adoration than Obama. That is what scares me, and I know that in 4 or 8 or 12 or however many years, he might actually get elected.

And this makes you express great joy of him not running?

How do you know that far too many Americans like him only because he is new, young, and black? What is this "fact" based on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom