Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #346
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Is it odd that I don't see ANY of the candidates, Democrat OR Republican, as electable? None of them stand out to me with that quality. I think in '08 everyone should write in Bill Clinton or Bono or something
I am wondering if you only get excited about the ones you have had personal involvement with

(or wish you had)

Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #347
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 PM

No actually, I've met Edwards, seen him speak a couple of times. Same goes for Obama, and Hillary.

ETA: I just don't see anyone being electable once they get the nomination

It's early, maybe someone will stand out later.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Mitt Steps in Shit; Media Says it Smells Like Roses by Paul Begala

In a 2000 debate, Al Gore said that during wildfires in Texas he'd met with the director of FEMA. In fact, Vice President Gore had met with the deputy director of FEMA. Although I had been at the meeting as well, I didn't remember it either. But the press, spoon-fed by the Republican smear machine, used the misstatement to damn Gore as a "serial exaggerator."

So I expected the 600 journalists covering the GOP debate at St. Anselm's College to spank Mitt Romney when, in answering the first question of the night -- knowing what you know now, would you have invaded Iraq? -- Romney said that if "Saddam Hussein had opened up his country to IAEA inspectors, and they'd come in and they'd found that there were no weapons of mass destruction...we wouldn't be in the conflict we're in."

Wolf Blitzer followed up, trying to get a straight answer. But again, Romney repeated this story: "You can go back and say, if we knew then what we know now, by virtue of inspectors having been let in and giving us that information, by virtue of if Saddam Hussein had followed the U.N. resolutions, we wouldn't be having this -- this discussion."

So, in Romneyland, Pres. Bush invaded Iraq because the Iraqi government would not allow weapons inspectors in. The lack of inspectors led Bush to believe Saddam had WMDs and was preparing to use them against us or our allies. So Bush had to invade.

Boy, oh boy, I thought, Ol' Mitt's gonna take some shit. Because everyone knows that Iraq did allow weapons inspectors in. Everyone remembers that day -- September 17, 2002 -- when Saddam capitulated to Kofi Annan and allowed inspectors in without conditions. (The CNN story that day was headlined, cleverly, "Iraq Agrees to Weapons Inspections.")

Everyone remembers Hans Blix and over 250 experts scouring the countryside, looking for weapons of mass destruction. Everyone remembers the Bush Administration deriding their work, Dick Cheney saying they provide false comfort, right-wingers darkly hinting that someone the International Atomic Energy Agency was secretly in league with -- or at least sympathetic to -- the evil dictator.

And everyone remembers that, after months of searching and finding nothing, the weapons inspectors asked for more time. Begged is more like it. But President Bush refused. On March 17, 2003 and kicked the weapons inspectors out, and on March 20 he launched his war.

So for Mitt Romney to say it was Saddam who kicked the inspectors out, well, I thought he'd be crushed for his ignorance -- or his dishonesty. I almost felt sorry for him.

But after the debate, nothing.

I couldn't believe it. I understood why Romney's Republican opponents didn't correct him. They need the public to believe the myth that Saddam wouldn't allow weapons inspectors in. In fact, Bush has repeated this same lie. Republicans want to blur the record, to revise history, so we don't have to confront the fact that if Mr. Bush had given the weapons inspectors more time to do their job, they would have concluded Saddam had no weapons of mass destruction. No weapons, no threat. No threat, no war.

But I was -- and am -- stunned at the lack of scrutiny by the media. The New York Times found the space to correct some bit of arcana they believe Romney misstated about Z-visas -- a form of visa that does not exist, incorporated in a bill that will not become law. And yet the Times, like most of its colleagues and competitors, ignored the fact that Romney told a big, fat whopper about why Mr. Bush went to war -- and why tens of thousands of people are now dead.

To its credit, CNN (where I work as a political analyst) replayed the tape of Romney's fib -- or flub -- repeatedly. But when I pointed out Romney's blunder, the Republican pundits on the set with me vigorously disputed that Romney was even wrong. I yelled. In fact, my wife later called and said I was too aggressive. I was in full Crossfire mode.

Jon Stewart, whose show I love, gave Crossfire its epitaph when he said it was "hurting America." I thought then, and I still think, that was bullshit. Sure, we yelled a lot. But at least people like Carville and me yelled to try to stop George W. Bush from lying us into a war. When the smart set in the elite media were all repeating the Bush lies about war, the clowns on Crossfire kept saying there was no threat. And we yelled.

And so I yelled again last night when a leading Republican again lied about why we went to war. But with all respect to Jon Stewart, that's not what hurts America. What hurts America is when powerful media elites excoriate a Democrat for an insignificant error, but turn a blind eye to a campaign of lies about war.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Paul Begala
Old 06-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

My guy Rudy is of course being treated unfairly. All the media seems to care about is his marriage. Funny how when the president of the United States cheated on his wife everyone was like "Well it's his personal life and it's none of our business," yet when a guy is married a few times we never stop hearing about it.
I think it goes a bit beyond just being "married a few times." Rudy's second wife first found out that her husband was filing for divorce during one of his press conferences. His children do not get along with Judi and he is estranged from them, which makes him a lousy father in my book. The way Rudy has conducted himself during his marriages is the issue, not just that he's been married a few times.

Go ahead, continue believing in your guy--hey, he'll have Amtrak running on time! And Edwards will continue to be my favorite candidate, no matter what nonsense BillO spews about him.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:22 AM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Quote:
My guy Rudy is of course being treated unfairly.

No way to treat a lady.

This really is your pick for "Comander in Chief"?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #352
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Why doesn't anybody like Hillary Clinton? She did a number during the whole Clinton administration...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by absintheminded
Why doesn't anybody like Hillary Clinton? She did a number during the whole Clinton administration...
I've never understood why many people dislike her either. And I don't mean her politics, I mean I'm hearing a lot who dislike HER. I don't think she's done very much, nor had much of an impact to warrant such attention, be it negative or positive.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

I've never understood why many people dislike her either. And I don't mean her politics, I mean I'm hearing a lot who dislike HER. I don't think she's done very much, nor had much of an impact to warrant such attention, be it negative or positive.
A number of reasons I dont like her, aside from her politics.
1) She's a complete phony. Watch the videos of her speaking with a southern/black accent when she was talking to a church congregation. I would be embarrassed by that if I were a Hillary supporter.
2) Her voice. She has the most irritating and monotonous voice. I could not stand to listen to her speak for 4 years.
3) Stated clearly be a number of people: She didnt know Bill was running around on her. Oh yeah? Then I dont think you're smart enough to be the president of the United States.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #355
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

A number of reasons I dont like her, aside from her politics.
1) She's a complete phony. Watch the videos of her speaking with a southern/black accent when she was talking to a church congregation. I would be embarrassed by that if I were a Hillary supporter.
2) Her voice. She has the most irritating and monotonous voice. I could not stand to listen to her speak for 4 years.
3) Stated clearly be a number of people: She didnt know Bill was running around on her. Oh yeah? Then I dont think you're smart enough to be the president of the United States.
1) what videos are you talking about?
2) you REALLY base your dislike of somebody because of the voice that GOD gave him/her?
3) as is evident in the current administration, intelligence is not a prerequisite for holding presidential office
Old 06-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #356
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

1) what videos are you talking about?
2) you REALLY base your dislike of somebody because of the voice that GOD gave him/her?
3) as is evident in the current administration, intelligence is not a prerequisite for holding presidential office
1)
2) I'm not basing my dislike of her off of that. But it is something I really, really would not look forward to hearing if she was elected.
3) Don't make this about Bush. Hillary did not know what Bill was doing, and that doesnt show to me that she is too bright.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

3) Don't make this about Bush. Hillary did not know what Bill was doing, and that doesnt show to me that she is too bright.
so are you saying that all spouses of cheating husbands are stupid?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #358
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:

This is coming from someone who believes in dragons and satellite images...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #359
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

This is coming from someone who believes in dragons and satellite images...
.....?

that really has nothing to do with the topic, sir. Try again.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #360
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:32 PM
But attacking someone's intelligence due to the fact her husband cheared is?

Come on!