Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

Well I knew that immediately but I still think it's weird and ripe for being made fun of, much like everything else Mitt Romney does and says.

I did flip through all the pages (5 Bros blog) looking at all the white shiny people.

That was bizarre

I did find one negro
A Romney brother made it to CA and had a picture taken with a GOP politician and a negro,
come to find out he is a gunnery sergeant that got shot up in Iraq, great photo op :up:

Last edited:
salon.com

DES MOINES -- The Iowa State Fair is not a political event. It is a place for prized cattle, fried Twinkies, enormous gourds, the Harry Potter butter sculpture (with butter Quidditch stick), and carnival barkers hawking the "Amazing Wonder Knife" for only $20, if you act now.

But with the Republican straw poll just hours from opening, politics has set up shop at the fair. Not that most people really notice. Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee were due to come through Friday. California Republican Duncan Hunter spent at least 30 minutes walking by the corndog stalls, a steak sandwich in hand, with hardly anyone stopping to shake his hand. (It was easy to tell who he was because he wore a cowboy hat with his bumper sticker on it.)

The exception was Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, who is widely expected to win the straw poll. Wherever he went, he created some commotion, if only because he was being trailed by at least a dozen journalists, a half-dozen cameras and at least three of his sons. At one point this afternoon, he grabbed a microphone, stopping a crowd of about 100 for a shortened version of his stump speech.

Afterward, it got interesting. While Romney was shaking hands, an Iraq war veteran started calling out Romney's name. Ron Devoll Jr. is a 26-year-old from Cedar Falls, Iowa, who was wounded in Iraq by a mortar round. He was wearing a Red Sox baseball cap. Here's the transcript of what happened next:

DEVOLL: I'm an Iraq veteran. (Romney reached out to shake his hand.)

ROMNEY: Thank you for your service, and go Red Sox.

DEVOLL: If you were elected when would you pull the troops out?

ROMNEY: When the job is done, and hopefully that gets done soon, and the surge is successful. I sure hope it is going to be successful.

DEVOLL: Don't you think this is compared to the Vietnam War?

ROMNEY: It is by a lot of people. But I think it is different in a lot of respects, and the key respect is this: And that is that if this becomes, if we leave in the wrong way there, this could become a conflict that could engulf the entire region and potentially draw us back again into a worse situation. And so I believe the surge, I hope the surge will be successful. We're going to give it a shot. We are going to hear what Petraeus has to say in a month, and hopefully it will be successful. We can start bringing our troops home. That's what I would like to see.

DEVOLL: But why aren't we...

Devoll never got to finish asking his third question. Romney's traveling press secretary, Eric Fehrnstrom, announced to everyone that Romney had to go somewhere else to be. "Thank you very much," Fehrnstrom said.

But Devoll, who said he once voted Republican, was just getting started. "I think that Romney was disrespectful," Devoll told reporters after the candidate had left. "I tried to ask him questions. You know I am an Iraq vet who served my country and he can't give me a few minutes of his time, and he wants to walk off. I think that's really disrespectful," he said.

"I was wounded over there," he added. "I lost a lot of friends over there."

MrsSpringsteen said:
salon.com

DES MOINES -- The Iowa State Fair is not a political event. It is a place for prized cattle, fried Twinkies, enormous gourds, the Harry Potter butter sculpture (with butter Quidditch stick), and carnival barkers hawking the "Amazing Wonder Knife" for only $20, if you act now.

But with the Republican straw poll just hours from opening, politics has set up shop at the fair. Not that most people really notice. Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee were due to come through Friday. California Republican Duncan Hunter spent at least 30 minutes walking by the corndog stalls, a steak sandwich in hand, with hardly anyone stopping to shake his hand. (It was easy to tell who he was because he wore a cowboy hat with his bumper sticker on it.)

The exception was Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, who is widely expected to win the straw poll. Wherever he went, he created some commotion, if only because he was being trailed by at least a dozen journalists, a half-dozen cameras and at least three of his sons. At one point this afternoon, he grabbed a microphone, stopping a crowd of about 100 for a shortened version of his stump speech.

Afterward, it got interesting. While Romney was shaking hands, an Iraq war veteran started calling out Romney's name. Ron Devoll Jr. is a 26-year-old from Cedar Falls, Iowa, who was wounded in Iraq by a mortar round. He was wearing a Red Sox baseball cap. Here's the transcript of what happened next:

DEVOLL: I'm an Iraq veteran. (Romney reached out to shake his hand.)

ROMNEY: Thank you for your service, and go Red Sox.

ROMNEY: When the job is done, and hopefully that gets done soon, and the surge is successful. I sure hope it is going to be successful.

DEVOLL: Don't you think this is compared to the Vietnam War?

ROMNEY: It is by a lot of people. But I think it is different in a lot of respects, and the key respect is this: And that is that if this becomes, if we leave in the wrong way there, this could become a conflict that could engulf the entire region and potentially draw us back again into a worse situation. And so I believe the surge, I hope the surge will be successful. We're going to give it a shot. We are going to hear what Petraeus has to say in a month, and hopefully it will be successful. We can start bringing our troops home. That's what I would like to see.

DEVOLL: But why aren't we...

Devoll never got to finish asking his third question. Romney's traveling press secretary, Eric Fehrnstrom, announced to everyone that Romney had to go somewhere else to be. "Thank you very much," Fehrnstrom said.

But Devoll, who said he once voted Republican, was just getting started. "I think that Romney was disrespectful," Devoll told reporters after the candidate had left. "I tried to ask him questions. You know I am an Iraq vet who served my country and he can't give me a few minutes of his time, and he wants to walk off. I think that's really disrespectful," he said.

"I was wounded over there," he added. "I lost a lot of friends over there."

What? Why is that important? The press sec said he had somewhere to be. I'm sure he cant stay and chat for an hour with one person (especially with one who wouldnt vote for him anyway) when he has thousands of other people to see. That wasnt disrespectful at all. You cant fault the guy for being a politician and having millions of places to go in a short time. Common folks should know that you cant walk up to someone running for president and expect to have a long conversation with him. I dont get it. :eyebrow:

It's not like he didnt answer the guy's questions. He answered as much as he had time for.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

Common folks should know that you cant walk up to someone running for president and expect to have a long conversation with him. I dont get it. :eyebrow:

I think the point is that at one point in history vets weren't considered "common folks". For better or worse they are now.

deep said:

I did flip through all the pages (5 Bros blog) looking at all the white shiny people.

That was bizarre

I did find one negro
A Romney brother made it to CA and had a picture taken with a GOP politician and a negro,
come to find out he is a gunnery sergeant that got shot up in Iraq, great photo op :up:

Yeah but I think the one with the giant farm animal will go over better with the base.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors

Sports stars support Giuliani's presidential campaign?

Rudy Giuliani has the most support among notable sports figures who have donated to next year's presidential contenders, according to the Miami Herald's Political Contributions Search.

Giuliani a lifelong Yankees fan has gotten donations from owner George Steinbrenner ($4,600), GM Brian Cashman ($2,300), team president Randy Levine ($2,500) and even the Yankees clubhouse manager Louis Cucuzza ($250)

NASCAR chairman Brian France has donated $9,200 to Giulian's campaign. President Michael Helton kicked in $4,600 for the former mayor of New York.

Pro Football Hall of Famer and Broncos QB legend John Elway ($2,300) is also supporting Giuliani.

Peyton and Eli Manning's older brother Cooper tossed out $2,500 for Giuliani's run to the White House.

Among other notable sports figures who have made donations to presidential campaigns:

• NBA commissioner David Stern has donated $4,600 for Hillary Clinton's campaign.

• MLB commissioner Bud Selig $4,600 for Chris Dodd's campaign.

• NFL commissioner Roger Goodell $2,300 for John McCain's campaign.

• Cowboys owner Jerry Jones $4,600 for John McCain's campaign.

• Dodgers owner Jamie McCourt $2,300 to Hillary Clinton and Chris Dodd's campaign's

• Red Sox co-owner Tom Werner $2,000 for Joe Biden's campaign

• Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino $1,000 for Chris Dodd and Hillary Clinton's campaign's

• SF Giants owner Peter Magowan $4,600 to John McCain's campaign

• Knicks guard Stephon Marbury $2,300 for Barack Obama's campaign

• Celtics GM Danny Ainge $2,300 for Mitt Romney's campaign

• Jets GM Michael Tannenbaum $4,600 for John McCain's campaign

• Arizona Cardinals President William Bidwill $4,600 for John McCain's campaign.

• Eagles President & CEO Joe Banner $2,300 for Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Bluer White said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors

Sports stars support Giuliani's presidential campaign?

Rudy Giuliani has the most support among notable sports figures who have donated to next year's presidential contenders, according to the Miami Herald's Political Contributions Search.

Giuliani a lifelong Yankees fan has gotten donations from owner George Steinbrenner ($4,600), GM Brian Cashman ($2,300), team president Randy Levine ($2,500) and even the Yankees clubhouse manager Louis Cucuzza ($250)

NASCAR chairman Brian France has donated $9,200 to Giulian's campaign. President Michael Helton kicked in $4,600 for the former mayor of New York.

Pro Football Hall of Famer and Broncos QB legend John Elway ($2,300) is also supporting Giuliani.

Peyton and Eli Manning's older brother Cooper tossed out $2,500 for Giuliani's run to the White House.

Among other notable sports figures who have made donations to presidential campaigns:

• NBA commissioner David Stern has donated $4,600 for Hillary Clinton's campaign.

• MLB commissioner Bud Selig $4,600 for Chris Dodd's campaign.

• NFL commissioner Roger Goodell $2,300 for John McCain's campaign.

• Cowboys owner Jerry Jones $4,600 for John McCain's campaign.

• Dodgers owner Jamie McCourt $2,300 to Hillary Clinton and Chris Dodd's campaign's

• Red Sox co-owner Tom Werner $2,000 for Joe Biden's campaign

• Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino $1,000 for Chris Dodd and Hillary Clinton's campaign's

• SF Giants owner Peter Magowan $4,600 to John McCain's campaign

• Knicks guard Stephon Marbury $2,300 for Barack Obama's campaign

• Celtics GM Danny Ainge $2,300 for Mitt Romney's campaign

• Jets GM Michael Tannenbaum $4,600 for John McCain's campaign

• Arizona Cardinals President William Bidwill $4,600 for John McCain's campaign.

• Eagles President & CEO Joe Banner $2,300 for Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Thanks for the post. Very interesting. I hate the Yankees slightly, slightly less. :wink:

When Mike Huckabee isn't discussing the issues I really like him. He seems almost too nice to be running for president :shrug:

That being said, I disagree with him on almost all the issues.

I think Huckabee might actually have a shot at it.
He's faring about the same as Kerry was in '04 as far as support this far out.

After at least one implosion (my guess is Rudy) and the others beating on each other, McCain's Bushiness, Romney's flip floppery and Mormonism, Fred Thompson, well he's still an unknown commodity really.

What I mean by implosion is, Rudy, when having his feet held to the fire by the hardcore conservatives, might not be able to muster up enough 9/11 imagery to keep the wolves at bay. He could have an abortion/gay rights (among other issues) meltdown Fred Thompson strikes me as all flash and no substance at this point, he's an old man, his acting makes him at least seem a bit insincere. I mean, they PRETEND for a living. It's hard to guess how he'll fare until he truly gets into the mix.

I think there is a window for Huckabee, he seems to be a solid, consistant conservative and we all know Americans love to vote for Governors. In general I think the Reps are wide open and the Dems are all but settled.

Last edited:
I don't think that's the most flattering photo of him, his head looks ginormous :wink:

obamacover.jpg

Gingrich said that the "war here at home" against illegal immigrants is "even more deadly than the war in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"The federal government's incompetence, timidity and uncoordinated efforts to identify and deport criminal illegal aliens have had devastating consequences for innocent Americans," Gingrich said, in a newsletter.

Gingrich said that the "war here at home" against illegal immigrants is "even more deadly than the war in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"As an American, I am sickened that the political leadership of America could continue to go on vacation and do nothing," he said. "Why are the August vacations for the president and the Congress more precious than the lives of young Americans who are being killed because of government incompetence and inaction."

Will Newt jump in?

"Why are the August vacations for the president and the Congress more precious than the lives of young Americans who are being killed because of government incompetence and inaction."

Newt said this?

Interesting, this may be the first line that has ever come out of his mouth that I agree with...

MrsSpringsteen said:

And so I believe the surge, I hope the surge will be successful. We're going to give it a shot. We are going to hear what Petraeus has to say in a month, and hopefully it will be successful.

That is his answer? "I sure hope" it is going to be successful??? Here is a man running for the most powerful job on the planet, and his answer to when would you pull the troops out is "when the job is done, and oh boy do I hope it works." What a worthless answer.

Newsflash. We all hope the surge will work. Honestly. But hope sure as hell isn't going to make it happen, and you better have something a little more detailed lined up if it doesn't work.

First off, Mitt never said "oh boy"...

Second...

Diemen said:

Newsflash. We all hope the surge will work.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. Any hope the Democrat has to win in November depends upon a worsening situation in Iraq.

Your cynicism is charming. Contrary to popular Republican opinion, critics of the Bush administration do not want to see America lose.

And the hope of a Democratic win absolutely does not depend on a worsening Iraq. Up until now, with the recent reports of improvement, Iraq has been worsening steadily for quite some time. Iraq has been so bad for so long that its already done its damage to the Republican image.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

I wouldnt be so sure about that. Any hope the Democrat has to win in November depends upon a worsening situation in Iraq.

This is a lie that you've been sold by Rush, this adminstration, and all of it's other sheep.

Return it, you got ripped off. Try asking someone outside of your small world, you might be suprised.

And believe me the situation in Iraq, even if it gets better is horrible and the informed people are very well aware of that.

What an unbiased website.

2861, try getting your information from something a little lessed biased.

Try actually presenting facts as to why she scares, not just a bunch of "quotes" taken out of context or even backed up.

Just try.

I think the funniest thing is the hypocricy of the poster, he got on a soapbox about how DailyKos is a hate site, then turns around and posts a site that's much worse.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think the funniest thing is the hypocricy of the poster, he got on a soapbox about how DailyKos is a hate site, then turns around and posts a site that's much worse.

Well, on the plus side, every time we click on the link interference shows up on the list of referrers. Maybe we can recruit some people to the Light of Truth that is U2! :rockon:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's apples and oranges. The site I gave provides a list of quotes that Mrs Clinton actually said. Those are facts. How is that the same as posting a picture of Senator Lieberman performing a sex act on the President?

I'm not sure how you can take any of those quotes "out of context." You can't. Accept the fact that she said all those things and is a mean, conceited woman. It will save you a lot of time.

Please tell me how "F**k off! It’s enough that I have to see you shit-kickers every day, I’m not going to talk to you too!! Just do your G*damn job and keep your mouth shut." is taken out of context, BVS. I'm dying to know.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Wow they're so scared she'll win, it's delicious.

I'm not scared of her winning at all. I'll say it again- I want nothing more than for her to be the Democratic nominee.

2861U2 said:

I'm not scared of her winning at all. I'll say it again- I want nothing more than for her to be the Democratic nominee.

The Republicans couldn't beat Bill Clinton in 1992, and it drove them crazy. They lost again in 1996, and it drove them so crazy they had to impeach him. Even during the height of his impeachment trial, and before he was totally exonerated and acquitted, his approval rating was a whopping 79%. (Contrast that with George Jr.'s approval rating, which is dwindling in the 20s, the lowest since Nixon.)

Then the Republicans couldn't beat Hillary in 2000, despite out-fundraising and out-spending her. And Hillary won again in 2006.

Say what you want about Hillary's policies, but don't forget that the Clintons simply - do - not - lose - elections. We all know you right-wingers are terrified of her, but get over it!

:wink:

LyricalDrug said:

The Republicans couldn't beat Bill Clinton in 1992, and it drove them crazy. They lost again in 1996, and it drove them so crazy they had to impeach him. Even during the height of his impeachment trial, and before he was totally exonerated and acquitted, his approval rating was a whopping 79%. (Contrast that with George Jr.'s approval rating, which is dwindling in the 20s, the lowest since Nixon.)

Then the Republicans couldn't beat Hillary in 2000, despite out-fundraising and out-spending her. And Hillary won again in 2006.

Say what you want about Hillary's policies, but don't forget that the Clintons simply - do - not - lose - elections. We all know you right-wingers are terrified of her, but get over it!

:wink:

As much as I despise the man, I have to accept that Bill was/is a good politician, and that he has charm/charisma/whatever you want to call it.

I dont think Hillary is as likable, and she wont fair as well in a national election as she may have in New York. A recent poll I saw had 47% of people liking Hillary, 49% dont like her. Compare that with Rudy, for example, who had 55% likability verses 32%

2861U2 said:

It's apples and oranges. The site I gave provides a list of quotes that Mrs Clinton actually said. Those are facts. How is that the same as posting a picture of Senator Lieberman performing a sex act on the President?

I'm not sure how you can take any of those quotes "out of context." You can't. Accept the fact that she said all those things and is a mean, conceited woman. It will save you a lot of time.

Please tell me how "F**k off! It’s enough that I have to see you shit-kickers every day, I’m not going to talk to you too!! Just do your G*damn job and keep your mouth shut." is taken out of context, BVS. I'm dying to know.

Any quote can be taken out of context, don't fool yourself. Quotes can also be made up, many of these have no true sources, so instead of worry yourself over a bunch of one liners, just read up on her policies and make your own decision.

I'm guessing you didn't see some of the photoshopped photos of her on this page... Not exactly apples and oranges.

One is dedicated to the hatred of one person.

2861U2 said:
I dont think Hillary is as likable, and she wont fair as well in a national election as she may have in New York. A recent poll I saw had 47% of people liking Hillary, 49% dont like her. Compare that with Rudy, for example, who had 55% likability verses 32%

but we're done with politicians we "like." americans in general are. remember the "beer test" -- i.e., who would you rather have a beer with? Bush certainly had that over both Gore and Kerry, but Bush's presidency has been such an unmitigated disaster and he's sustained the lowest approval ratings in modern history. the issue, now, is going to be competency. who can govern. who is a grown up. who can make government function.

like her or hate her, what's great about HRC is that she is so centrist, poll-driven, and free of ideology, that she's simply not going to screw up and, like, bomb Iran or lose Tampa to a hurricane.

that's what's going to matter. she is cleaning up in the Democratic debates, and she'd destroy Giuliani head-to-head.

and keep in mind: she's running a national campaign. she's not going to shift once she (likely) gets the nod. Giuliani has been tacking to the right and screaming "islamic terrorists" in order to work up the frothy red base because he has to. he's then going to have to shift leftward to survive a general election.

and we haven't even touched on his "family value" problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom