Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
randhail said:

Asking if OJ did it is a terrible analogy because it played out in the courts already. He was proven innocent. Enough said. The fact that his innocence is still in doubt is what makes it a valid question. Bond's broke the most historic record in sports. On those grounds alone, it should result in an open invitation to be honored at the white house, but it's all clouded up because of the allegations. Do you honor the act or do you ignore it based on allegations? It sure is a pretty valid question.

People may not care about liars entering the White House, but they care about the Bonds issue. It's not like this is some minor event. Bonds is one of the most polarizing figures in this country today.

Ok, bad analogy, but my point is that OJ innocence is still something people question and talk about.

Saying Bonds is one of the most polarizing figures in this country today is a stretch. Unless you literally mean just today and not current times. I couldn't care less about Bonds, as many others.

Would inviting a rock star that may have done drugs a valid question? Would inviting a moral figure that allegedly had an affair a valid question?

Right now, since there isn't any action in process regarding Bonds allegations, it's a personal issue.

A valid question would be to ask him flat out what do you think should be done about steroid use in sports.

2861U2 said:
He's afraid to say something wrong or unpopular. It makes me wonder if the man has any true, earnest beliefs. He did not demonstrate what a good politician looks like, and that might be why he is losing ground daily to Clinton.

This is a load of crap.

So because a man pleas the 5th due to not knowing all the facts, he's spineless?

Get a clue.

unico said:

sidenote: anybody else agree that if a candidate runs over their alloted speaking time that it should be deducted from their next response time? i think they should have a total number of seconds for the entire debate. that would get them to shut up and focus on directly answering questions instead of avoiding the issue and going off on their usual soundbytes.

:sigh: im already tired of politics and the election is so far away.

Brilliant proposal. After their countdown clock hits zero, their microphone gets turned off. Maybe even a trapdoor opens beneath their podium and they are dropped off the stage. We might even get the reality TV audience watching the debates if we threw some giant spiders or crocodiles below the stage.

Seriously though, at least they should turn off the microphone. Either after the total time for the debate finished, or after the minute + brief grace period for each question.

And yeah, I thought this election would be really exciting, but between the fact that I don't like any of the candidates and that it's going to be a way longer primary season than it should be, I'm beyond sick of it already.

unico said:

You're reacting as though this is the only question that he, or many other candidates (democrat or republican) avoid answering.

sidenote: anybody else agree that if a candidate runs over their alloted speaking time that it should be deducted from their next response time? i think they should have a total number of seconds for the entire debate. that would get them to shut up and focus on directly answering questions instead of avoiding the issue and going off on their usual soundbytes.

:sigh: im already tired of politics and the election is so far away.

I agree. I'm planning to pay very little attention to the race until the primaries come along.

The way the presidential "debates" are set up this year is a joke. These arent debates. Real debates barely call for a moderator, much unlike the ones we have seen. Debates are where the candidates talk to each other, not to an audience. These are not presidential debates. These are auditions. This is American Idol, and it needs to change. I'm looking forward to actual debates, once the general election is underway.

Varitek said:

Brilliant proposal. After their countdown clock hits zero, their microphone gets turned off. Maybe even a trapdoor opens beneath their podium and they are dropped off the stage. We might even get the reality TV audience watching the debates if we threw some giant spiders or crocodiles below the stage.

LOL YES!!!!!!! I love it. They should also be surrounded by crabs that are trained to pinch them on command if they go off-topic.

the way this is headed
(you-tube debate, and 38 other niche debates, here and there)

I got to believe
we are only an election cycle or two away from:
"Pants-Off Dance-Off" debate :shrug:

U2democrat said:
:hmm:

That could be an asset for the Dems. We've got folks like Obama and Edwards, whereas the Republicans have...................um I don't even want to think about that :yikes:

I know you are too young and pure to know this

but, there is a large 'kink' audience out there

unico said:

I'd run for president that year.

You'd have to beat me first.

:shifty:

But then I can't dance so you'd probably...wait for it...beat the pants off of me...AHHH HAHA ha...ha...

OK this thread has gone from prez candidates to baseball to stripping.

U2democrat said:

You'd have to beat me first.

:shifty:

But then I can't dance so you'd probably...wait for it...beat the pants off of me...AHHH HAHA ha...ha...

OK this thread has gone from prez candidates to baseball to stripping.

AHAHAHAHA! don't forget, i'm the owner of nopantsoclock.com. that's gonna be in all of my campaign ads.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Can you list any politicians who aren't? A non-partisan unbiased list.

How about President Bush? I'm sure he's aware how unpopular the war is, but that isnt affecting how is he handling it. He feels as strongly about it as he did in March 2003, even as the support has plummeted.

How about all the politicans (on both sides) who take positions that are in minority compared to the rest of America, whether it be with abortion or gay rights, etc.

Anyway, though, I'm not talking about other politicians. I'm talking about Mr. Obama wanting to be the president, and he failed to take a stand and display any sort of opinion.

2861U2 said:

How about President Bush?

Oh yeah? There's documented evidence that he catered to the far Christian right and wouldn't say certain things in order to keep their vote.

2861U2 said:

Anyway, though, I'm not talking about other politicians. I'm talking about Mr. Obama wanting to be the president, and he failed to take a stand and display any sort of opinion.

On a stupid stupid question...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

On a stupid stupid question...

Fair enough. It might have been a stupid question. But it was also an easy question. Whether he would have said yes or no, it would have provided insight into his character and thinking process, but he didnt answer it, so my (and many others') only conclusion is that he failed miserably to show any sort of opinion.

2861U2 said:

How about President Bush? I'm sure he's aware how unpopular the war is, but that isnt affecting how is he handling it. He feels as strongly about it as he did in March 2003, even as the support has plummeted.

In light of everything, that makes him an idiot.

An absolute refusal to compromise is not the sign of a principled man, it's the sign of a child.

2861U2 said:

Fair enough. It might have been a stupid question. But it was also an easy question. Whether he would have said yes or no, it would have provided insight into his character and thinking process, but he didnt answer it, so my (and many others') only conclusion is that he failed miserably to show any sort of opinion.

It's not an easy question. Not all the facts are present, how does that make it an easy question?

You and many others are in the dark if you are using that question to gauge anything about this man.

So I was just clicking around and stumbled onto Mitt Romney's campaign blog, so named "Five Brothers" for his 5 sons who we have recently learned serve their country by working for his campaign instead of in the Army. It's like Mitt Romney for Pres: Army of Five or something. Anyway to post a comment on the blog, you must answer a basic arithmetic problem...it's like an MCAS 4th grade exam, or some sort of minimum-IQ-filter, or something, anyway, it's hilarious and there are probably better jokes to be made about it.

e.g.
http://fivebrothers.mittromney.com/blog/comments/198

Varitek said:
Anyway to post a comment on the blog, you must answer a basic arithmetic problem...it's like an MCAS 4th grade exam, or some sort of minimum-IQ-filter, or something, anyway, it's hilarious and there are probably better jokes to be made about it.

e.g.
http://fivebrothers.mittromney.com/blog/comments/198
I think it is a random math equation

so a bot can not spam the site to death

there is a local (Newport Beach) message board I used that got spammed with links to gambling and sex sites, until they put in a random question.

(The blurry, distorted combination of letters and numbers that merchant sites use for security would be overkill).

deep said:

I think it is a random math equation

so a bot can not spam the site to death

there is a local (Newport Beach) message board I used that got spammed with links to gambling and sex sites, until they put in a random question.

(The blurry, distorted combination of letters and numbers that merchant sites use for security would be overkill).

Well I knew that immediately but I still think it's weird and ripe for being made fun of, much like everything else Mitt Romney does and says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom