Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2democrat said:
ETA: NM, the picture showed up. I've seen Nader speak twice...one time in front of an EXTREMELY liberal crowd, and he got booed b/c he cost Gore 2000. The second time I saw him I fell asleep.

I saw him once and he was an excellent speaker.

Only idiots boo him for "costing" Gore. Gore could not win his own state; his supporters have no basis on which to blame Nader. Had Gore won Tennessee, what Nader did or did not do in Florida would have been immaterial. What a lame, lame argument.

And that's not to say I would vote for Nader. I think he's a good activist and a bad politician. But he is a good speaker - he doesn't talk in soundbytes and sounds nothing like a politician. It was a breath of fresh air, to be honest. But then again I find political rallies vomit-inducing.

maycocksean said:

MUST we be that anti-corporate? I LIKE Coke.

:no: no way!!! coke gets a :down: from me. it isn't that i'm necessarily anti-corporate EVERYTHING...but, i just can't support coke assassinating union leaders and torturing/kidnapping workers.

i do like jones soda though :) see? i like some corporations!

unico said:

:no: no way!!! coke gets a :down: from me. it isn't that i'm necessarily anti-corporate EVERYTHING...but, i just can't support coke assassinating union leaders and torturing/kidnapping workers.

i do like jones soda though :) see? i like some corporations!

:reject: well. . uh, is it okay, if I only drink it sometimes?

Is that really true? Assasinating, torturing. . .you make them sound like the Bush Admin! Why would they need to do that? They already own the world, practically. At least in terms of soft drink market share. . .

I guess I should just stick to Green Tea with Honey. . .made by the Chinese for the Chinese.

:(

maycocksean said:

:reject: well. . uh, is it okay, if I only drink it sometimes?

Is that really true? Assasinating, torturing. . .you make them sound like the Bush Admin! Why would they need to do that? They already own the world, practically. At least in terms of soft drink market share. . .

I guess I should just stick to Green Tea with Honey. . .made by the Chinese for the Chinese.

:(

:shrug: i've no idea, they can't justify that. but i think it has something to do with the crap working conditions. and whenever somebody tries to form a union, or is suspected of such, they stop them short.

unico said:

:shrug: i've no idea, they can't justify that. but i think it has something to do with the crap working conditions. and whenever somebody tries to form a union, or is suspected of such, they stop them short.

Are you sure you don't mean Wal-Mart? I would be more than happy to never drink their cheap imitation Cokes ever, ever again!

(Not that I ever did in the first place. . . .gosh, I'm so off topic. . .)

maycocksean said:

Are you sure you don't mean Wal-Mart? I would be more than happy to never drink their cheap imitation Cokes ever, ever again!

(Not that I ever did in the first place. . . .gosh, I'm so off topic. . .)

well walmart does it's own thang.
but i'm definitely sure it is coke. the only reason i remember is this really hot guy came to a conference with the catholic campaign for human development, and he was talking about workers' rights. oh my was he hot. he talked about coke and how corrupt it was. and he was hot. he even gave me a sticker!!! then my roommate accidentally threw it away :angry:

i'll never forget :love:

unico said:

well walmart does it's own thang.
but i'm definitely sure it is coke. the only reason i remember is this really hot guy came to a conference with the catholic campaign for human development, and he was talking about workers' rights. oh my was he hot. he talked about coke and how corrupt it was. and he was hot. he even gave me a sticker!!! then my roommate accidentally threw it away :angry:

i'll never forget :love:

Between you and Yolland tonight, I can't stop grinnin' :)

Are sure you're like you were sure about the beef?. . .Cuz, I dunno. . .

maycocksean said:

Between you and Yolland tonight, I can't stop grinnin' :)

Are sure you're like you were sure about the beef?. . .Cuz, I dunno. . .

:lol: well the difference is the hot guy factor. there weren't any hot guys at mcdonald's. thus resulting in my imaginary letter friends.

unico said:

:lol: well the difference is the hot guy factor. there weren't any hot guys at mcdonald's. thus resulting in my imaginary letter friends.

See, I'm a bit worried about that hotness. . .

What if he said, "We're winning in Iraq. . ." ya KNOW!

unico said:
nobody hot says that! being hot isn't just about looks, it's about the light that shines though when you talk about sexy things like workers' rights.

Fair enough!

anitram said:

I saw him once and he was an excellent speaker.

Only idiots boo him for "costing" Gore. Gore could not win his own state; his supporters have no basis on which to blame Nader. Had Gore won Tennessee, what Nader did or did not do in Florida would have been immaterial. What a lame, lame argument.

And that's not to say I would vote for Nader. I think he's a good activist and a bad politician. But he is a good speaker - he doesn't talk in soundbytes and sounds nothing like a politician. It was a breath of fresh air, to be honest. But then again I find political rallies vomit-inducing.

You're right, Gore couldn't win his own home state. He was a lousy campaigner who had trouble winning elections, by his own admission.

verte76 said:

You're right, Gore couldn't win his own home state. He was a lousy campaigner who had trouble winning elections, by his own admission.

Is he any better at these things now?

Cuz a lot of Dems are saying that if he chose to step into the race he'd be the automatic front runner. Which seems ridiculous if he's a "lousy campaigner who had trouble winning elections."

U2democrat said:
Gore has established himself outside of Clinton's shadow over the last 7 years, it could get interesting if he stepped into the race.

Indeed. He'd win in a landslide. He doesn't even really talk like the stiff politician he used to be anymore--he talks like a sincere human being now, sort of like he found his voice and it sounds a lot different than everyone else's whose running. But he's been very clear he's not running, or at least he was clear about that the last time I heard him talk, which was on Larry King a month or so ago. I sure wish he'd change his mind.

I've got Assault On Reason on my dresser waiting to be read for when I go to the beach in the next 2 weeks...I'm looking forward to it.

I'm still undecided, but if he jumped in I might consider backing him.

maycocksean said:

Is he any better at these things now?

Cuz a lot of Dems are saying that if he chose to step into the race he'd be the automatic front runner. Which seems ridiculous if he's a "lousy campaigner who had trouble winning elections."

He'd have no serious competition to win the democratic nomination

Neither Hillary or Obama would would beat whoever the Republicans put forward, Gore would have a chance

toscano said:

Neither Hillary or Obama would would beat whoever the Republicans put forward

This is such a myth.

Hillary can, and in my opinion, would beat every single Republican out there. And no, she is not my first pick. But this myth that she's not electable is just that - a myth. She wins the electoral college without great difficulty.

Here's Mitt Romney with absolutely no class:

0720_brookshire_obama.jpg

I think America will have Republican fatigue...and the GOP's field of candidates is even more pitiful than the Democrats, Hillary and Obama can win.

...and yes, Mitt was being very tasteless there. :tsk:

with McCain nearly washed up, and the creeping reality that the more "the base" of the Republican Party gets to know of Giuliani the less they like him (this is already happening), it's quite possible that the nomination could be Romney's or Fred Thompson's. and i think both would be destroyed by any of the top four Democratic candidates. the Mormon thing -- whether fair or not -- weighs heavily on Romney, despite the fact that, while i think many of his positions are borderline insane (expand Gitmo!?!?), he does strike me as a grown-up and a competent manager. at least in comparison to the most wildly incompetent child that's ever occupied the white house.

basically, with McCain on the skids, all the Democrats simply come off as far more serious and qualified than any of the rest of the Republcians. like her or hate her, at least Hillary is a grown up and has reams of experience. she isn't my first choice -- i think we need to get beyond the polarization of the Baby Boom as soon as possible -- but i think even her detractors would trust her more with leadership of the country than Fred Thompson or Mitt Romney.

i really do.

anitram said:

This is such a myth.

Hillary can, and in my opinion, would beat every single Republican out there. And no, she is not my first pick. But this myth that she's not electable is just that - a myth. She wins the electoral college without great difficulty.

Here's Mitt Romney with absolutely no class:

0720_brookshire_obama.jpg

I'm not saying she's any worse than Republican, but if anyone will unite non-liberals (i.e, the middle ground that Reagan won over and Clinton won back) on the side of the Republicans it would be Hillary.

Let's re-visit this thread if she gets the Dem nod

joyfulgirl said:
He doesn't even really talk like the stiff politician he used to be anymore--he talks like a sincere human being now, sort of like he found his voice and it sounds a lot different than everyone else's whose running.

I agree. He sounds much more sincere and natural ever since he started stumping for the environment. Light years more sincere than Mrs. Clinton. If he carried that vibe over into a presidential campaign, he'd have a winning edge in the national election.

But would he want to give up the charmed life he has now for a fight with the Clinton political machine? :ohmy:

I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs

diamond said:
I think Freddy Thompson is Southern Fried Reagan eventually he'll unite the GOP and will bounced Hillary and Bill back to Little Rock, then they'll divorce.

dbs

And you take pride in this? Aren't you suppose to support the sanctity of marriage? Hoping for someone's divorce that's almost as low as ranking a sick woman's thread.

diamond said:

dbs

Hillary will just go back to the Senate, and Clinton will continue to be the most effective ex-president since Jimmy Carter.

Freddy Thompson doesn't care enough or work hard enough. he's another GOP consensus candidate, with that "electability" factor, but after 8 years of this Bush nightmare, voters, Dems and Independents and moderate Republicans, are all hungry for someone who consults people other than a "higher father" and demonstrates at least a modicum of curiosity about the world and how our actions affect that world.

the Bush-effect will be incalcuable. easily one of the worst presidents in history, the GOP will be forever defining themselves in opposition to him, or outright ignorning him.

Irvine511 said:

Hillary will just go back to the Senate, and Clinton will continue to be the most effective ex-president since Jimmy Carter.

Freddy Thompson doesn't care enough or work hard enough. he's another GOP consensus candidate, with that "electability" factor, but after 8 years of this Bush nightmare, voters, Dems and Independents and moderate Republicans, are all hungry for someone who consults people other than a "higher father" and demonstrates at least a modicum of curiosity about the world and how our actions affect that world.

the Bush-effect will be incalcuable. easily one of the worst presidents in history, the GOP will be forever defining themselves in opposition to him, or outright ignorning him.

Well, they managed to get over Hoover (another Republican president that managed to bungle a national emergency), but it took what, 20 years?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And you take pride in this? Aren't you suppose to support the sanctity of marriage? Hoping for someone's divorce that's almost as low as ranking a sick woman's thread.

That is pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom