Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

That "newly acquired southern drawl" smear is so bogus. For those who haven't heard, during her speech in Selma, Alabama before a predominantly African-American congregation, Hillary Clinton quoted from a writing that was *written* in dialect, and she was speaking in the same dialect in which the passage was written. The crowd roared its approval, and gave her a standing ovation.

Afterwards, Republicans attacked her for "faking a southern accent," and in the process, proved that they completely misunderstood her speech.

If she had used it only while reading from the James Cleveland hymn, fine. But she adopted it several times during her address, including a quotation from St. Paul whom, to my knowledge, was not from Alabama.
I'd say Hillary got off pretty easy compared to the sh#tstorm that would have followed a Republican speaking to a black congregation in such a manner.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

If she had used it only while reading from the James Cleveland hymn, fine. But she adopted it several times during her address, including a quotation from St. Paul whom, to my knowledge, was not from Alabama.
I'd say Hillary got off pretty easy compared to the sh#tstorm that would have followed a Republican speaking to a black congregation in such a manner.
Cry me a river. Republicans are just jealous that Hillary Clinton is embraced warmly by the African-American community, and meanwhile, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," to invoke a Kanye-ism. Given that Hillary's speech was enough to draw a standing ovation, and it was before a southern crowd, I don't think she has to apologize to anyone.

If anyone deserves getting ragged on for copping a bullsh*t southern accent, it's George Bush. He never had one before he became a politician, and half the time he uses it, and half the time he doesn't. It's just ridiculous. It reminds me of Kevin Costner's performance in 'Robin Hood,' where he randomly decided to use an English accent for oh, about half the scenes.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug

Cry me a river. Republicans are just jealous that Hillary Clinton is embraced warmly by the African-American community, and meanwhile, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," to invoke a Kanye-ism. Given that Hillary's speech was enough to draw a standing ovation, and it was before a southern crowd, I don't think she has to apologize to anyone.

If anyone deserves getting ragged on for copping a bullsh*t southern accent, it's George Bush. He never had one before he became a politician, and half the time he uses it, and half the time he doesn't. It's just ridiculous. It reminds me of Kevin Costner's performance in 'Robin Hood,' where he randomly decided to use an English accent for oh, about half the scenes.

Or George Bush singing the national anthem in Spanish in front of Hispanic crowds.
All polititians try and make "that special connection" with a crowd, sometimes it works and sometimes you come off as a clown.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:39 PM
i just refuse to believe that a politician would pander to whatever crowd s/he is addressing.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:39 PM
^I know, quite shocking

Old 03-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Quote:
Brownback supports Pace's remark on gays By SAM HANANEL, Associated Press Writer
23 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record) is backing the Pentagon's top general over his remarks that homosexuality is immoral.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Kansas senator planned to send a letter on Thursday to President Bush supporting Marine Gen. Peter Pace, who earlier this week likened homosexuality to adultery and said the military should not condone it by allowing gay personnel to serve openly.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs also said: "I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts."

Lawmakers of both parties criticized the remarks, but Brownback's letter called the criticism "both unfair and unfortunate."

"We should not expect someone as qualified, accomplished and articulate as General Pace to lack personal views on important moral issues," Brownback said. "In fact, we should expect that anyone entrusted with such great responsibility will have strong moral views."

Asked whether he agreed with Pace's comments, Brownback said: "I do not believe being a homosexual is immoral, but I do believe homosexual acts are. I'm a Catholic and the church has clear teachings on this."

While there is no indication that Pace's job is in jeopardy, Brownback's letter to Bush said "personal moral beliefs" should not disqualify anyone from a position of leadership in the U.S. military.

"General Pace's recent remarks do not deserve the criticism they have received," the letter said. "In fact, we applaud General Pace for maintaining a personal commitment to moral principles."

Pace said he supports the military's "don't ask, don't tell policy" in which gay service members are required to keep their sexual orientation private. Brownback on Thursday said "don't ask, don't tell" is "an appropriate policy."

Brownback, a favorite of the religious right, has been a prominent opponent of gay marriage.

Brownback spokesman Brian Hart said the senator was working Thursday to get other lawmakers to sign his letter. Hart said Brownback's office would not disclose who has signed on to the letter until there is "a final count."

On his campaign bus in Iowa on Thursday, Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., declined to comment when asked whether he agreed with Gen. Peter Pace's comment that homosexuality was immoral. He said he still backs the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy. "It's working."
Old 03-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

Well Hillary Clinton wouldn't say whether she thinks homosexuality is immoral or not, and neither would any of the other Democratic candidates-not that I heard about or read.

Brownback doesn't get that Pace's personal moral views have no place in military policy, and that in his position he needs to keep them private. He should "don't tell' them.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Wel Hillary Clinton wouldn't say whether she thinks homosexuality is immoral or not, and neither would any of the other Democratic candidates-not that I heard about or read.
Both Hillary and Obama issued statements today stating that it is not immoral. They obviously faced pressure to do so.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder how many focus groups they considered before issuing their statements. I'll have to look them up. I wish just once someone would have the moral conviction to speak out on something like that without being afraid of political consequences.

Appearing on Bloomberg News, Sen. Hillary Clinton:

"Well I've heard from a number of my friends and I've certainly clarified with them any misunderstanding that anyone had, because I disagree with General Pace completely. I do not think homosexuality is immoral. But the point I was trying to make is that this policy of Don't Ask, Don't Tell is not working. I have been against it for many years because I think it does a grave injustice to patriotic Americans who want to serve their country. And so I have called for its repeal and I'd like to follow the lead of our allies like, Great Britain and Israel and let people who wish to serve their country be able to join and do so. And then let the uniform code of military justice determine if conduct is inappropriate or unbecoming. That's fine. That's what we do with everybody. But let's not be eliminating people because of who they are or who they love."

Why didn't she just say it in the first place long before her friends questioned it?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...61,print.story

"So why the dance? Clinton and Obama supporters, speaking on condition of anonymity, said both might have been trying to avoid offending socially conservative Democrats, particularly churchgoing African-Americans, who share Pace's views.

Steve Sanders, a gay Democrat who sat on the party's platform committee in 2000, said Clinton and Obama are engaged in a delicate balancing act. "Hillary and Barack have made very public overtures to religious Americans. They are trying to figure out how progressive Democrats can also make appeals to Americans of faith. It's a work in progress."
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Why do politicians keep using that term?

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa CNN) -- Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, issued an apology for his use of the phrase "tar baby" in response to a question he received at his mid-day town hall meeting in Cedar Falls, Iowa on Friday.

A questioner asked McCain whether as president he "would be bold enough to address the issue of equal access to children for fathers that have gone through divorce."

The Republican presidential candidate responded, "I'm sorry to disappoint you, I am not going to overturn divorce court decisions. That's why we have courts and that's why people go to court and get a divorce. If I as President of the United States said this decision has to be overturned without the proper appeals process then I would be disturbing our entire system of government... But for me to stand here before all these people and say that I'm going declare divorces invalid because someone feels that they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a, uh, uh, tar baby of enormous proportions. For me to stand here before all these people and say that I'm going declare divorces invalid because someone feels that they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a, uh, uh, tar baby of enormous proportions."

Later at a press conference, CNN's Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley asked McCain about his use of the phrase "tar baby," viewed by some as having racist overtones.

"I hope that it's not viewed that way," McCain said. "It was a situation where if I kept going on that I would then be overturning court decisions. I don't think I should have used that word and it was wrong to do so."
Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

NY Times

Somewhere in Iowa

A transcript of the encounter follows. (Weaver is John Weaver, his senior adviser, and Brian is Mr. Jones, his press secretary):

Reporter: “Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?”

Mr. McCain: “Well I think it’s a combination. The guy I really respect on this is Dr. Coburn. He believes – and I was just reading the thing he wrote– that you should do what you can to encourage abstinence where there is going to be sexual activity. Where that doesn’t succeed, than he thinks that we should employ contraceptives as well. But I agree with him that the first priority is on abstinence. I look to people like Dr. Coburn. I’m not very wise on it.”

(Mr. McCain turns to take a question on Iraq, but a moment later looks back to the reporter who asked him about AIDS.)

Mr. McCain: “I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”

Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”

Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

This went on for a few more moments until a reporter from the Chicago Tribune broke in and asked Mr. McCain about the weight of a pig that he saw at the Iowa State Fair last year.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Oh, my fucking God.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Reporter- "Senator McCain, do you think if you put your hand in an open flame on a stove that you'd get burned"

McCain- "Well you've stumped me. I used to have a position on that in the past, let me get one of my aides to find that out"
Old 03-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

McCain is a disgrace.

If some official in the Catholic Church said he didn't know whether contraceptives decreased the spread of AIDS, everyone would be calling him negligent and irresponsible. This is no different.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
McCain is a disgrace.

If some official in the Catholic Church said he didn't know whether contraceptives decreased the spread of AIDS, everyone would be calling him negligent and irresponsible. This is no different.
qft.