Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, though I dont like her, I give credit where I believe credit is due. I liked when she said that the United States is safer, during the Dem debate.

(Doesnt really apply much to the topic, but I just wanted to clear up any possible ideas that I am a complete Democrat hater. If one says something I like, I give them credit.)

2861U2 said:
Also, though I dont like her, I give credit where I believe credit is due. I liked when she said that the United States is safer, during the Dem debate.

That was pretty awesome. It definately weakens the Dems!

2861U2 said:

(Doesnt really apply much to the topic, but I just wanted to clear up any possible ideas that I am a complete Democrat hater. If one says something I like, I give them credit.)

Could you respond to my question?

unico said:

so are you saying that all spouses of cheating husbands are stupid?

No.

I'm saying that if you're husband is the president of the United States, and you two are the most watched couple in the United States, and you dont know what he is doing at all times, then you are stupid.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think every spouse of a cheating husband could figure out he was cheating if they did enough investigating. Maybe I'm wrong though. I have never had nor have I been a husband.

2861U2 said:

I'm saying that if you're husband is the president of the United States, and you two are the most watched couple in the United States, and you dont know what he is doing at all times, then you are stupid.

As someone that was raised in a conservative family, I have heard this argument before.

It is applied to not only behavior of the spouse but the children.

Would you expect a leader to raise his/ her children in to be responsible, law-abiding citizens?

If they can not manage their own families how can they lead a nation?

2861U2 said:
Maybe I'm naive, but I think every spouse of a cheating husband could figure out he was cheating if they did enough investigating. Maybe I'm wrong though. I have never had nor have I been a husband.

Why would one even investigate? Why suspect your spouse whom you've made vows with? And why think that the most watched man in the united states would be dumb enough to think he could get away with it in the first place?

Theres a lot of reasons why Bush makes a terrible president, but I wouldn't consider not being able to tame his daughters be one of them.

2861U2 said:

Naive is one way to put it, in order to keep things civil, we'll go with naive.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The anti-poverty campaign founded by U2 rocker Bono and others is investing $30 million to pressure the presidential candidates to focus on the oft-forgotten issue, with its leaders arguing on Monday that helping the poor is a national security issue.

Dubbed ONE Vote '08, the bipartisan political push aims to get President Bush's successor to commit to taking concrete steps to combat hunger and disease while improving access to education and water across the globe.

"People do not go to war with people who have saved their children's lives," former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, told reporters at a church in the nation's capital.

Frist is co-chair of the effort to mobilize activists to pressure the 18 or more presidential aspirants through the media and grass-roots work. The other co-chair also is a former Senate Majority leader, Democrat Tom Daschle of South Dakota.

"Some of the most vivid memories of our experience (in Congress) didn't happen in Washington, they happened in Africa," Daschle said. "It is incumbent on all of us to recognize that this must be a key part of national domestic security."

Created in 2004 by rocker Bono and the country's leading anti-poverty groups, the ONE organization counts 2.5 million members from across the political spectrum and all 50 states. The organization has attracted high-profile support from a wide range of celebrities, including Brad Pitt and Matt Damon. Until now, the focus has been on raising awareness of global poverty and encouraging activists to lobby Congress to devote more money to the cause.

Now, the mission will include mobilizing activists. Among the donors: the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

For months, scores of volunteers wearing black-and-white ONE T-shirts and carrying placards have been attending presidential debates and some campaign events by Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama and other Democrats, as well as Republicans such as John McCain and Mitt Romney.

Activity will only increase in the coming months, with town-hall-style events, mailings, a celebrity bus tour and TV advertisements.

For now, the focus is on the early primary states of Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire and South Carolina. But the effort eventually will be expanded to the more than dozen states holding contests on February 5, and will continue through the general election.

At least one candidate, Democrat John Edwards, has focused on combating poverty, heading an anti-poverty center in North Carolina in recent years.

In the fall, the group will ask candidates to sign a pledge and embrace a platform that lays out concrete steps to:

# Fight HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.

# Improve child and maternal health.

# Increase access to basic education, particularly for girls.

# Provide access to clean water and sanitation.

# Reduce by half the number of people worldwide who suffer from hunger.

The Washington Post
Updated: 7:16 a.m. ET June 12, 2007

The consistent lead that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York has maintained over Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois and others in the race for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination is due largely to one factor: her support from women.

In the most recent Washington Post-ABC News poll, Clinton led Obama by a 2 to 1 margin among female voters. Her 15-point lead in the poll is entirely attributable to that margin. Clinton drew support from 51 percent of the women surveyed, compared with 24 percent who said they supported Obama and 11 percent who said they backed former senator John Edwards of North Carolina.

Clinton is drawing especially strong support from lower-income, lesser-educated women -- voters her campaign strategists describe as "women with needs." Obama, by contrast, is faring better among highly educated women, who his campaign says are interested in elevating the political discourse.

Campaign advisers say they expect Obama to pick up support from all categories of voters once they get to know him better, and that could change the structure of the race. But for now, women appear to be playing an outsized role in shaping it and could tip the scale toward the winner.

In 2004, women made up a majority of the Democratic primary electorate, including between 54 and 59 percent in the early-voting states of New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina.

"Women are a significant proportionate share of the Democratic primary electorate in most of these states, and women are disproportionately in favor of Hillary Clinton," said Mark Mellman, a veteran Democratic pollster who is not affiliated with any presidential campaign.

If Clinton wins the Democratic nomination, however, the general election may be a different story. In a Post-ABC News poll conducted in April, 43 percent of female independents said they definitely will not vote for her if she is the Democratic nominee, compared with 29 percent who said the same about Obama.

Obama, Edwards eye potential openings

In the meantime, Obama and Edwards see potential openings among female Democrats.

Betsy Myers, the chief operating officer of the Obama campaign, who served as director of women's initiatives and outreach in Bill Clinton's administration, said she expects women to see the appeal of a candidate who takes a new approach to politics.

"Women are tired of the polarization of politics, and Barack is such a uniter," she said. Women, she said, "are tired of people not getting along."

Unwilling to cede any part of the female vote to Clinton, Obama has launched a "women for Obama" campaign and is heralding "Obama moms," and Edwards has released a long list of female supporters in Iowa and elsewhere.

"The excitement of Hillary's candidacy, the historic nature of it, is capturing the attention of women -- there's no question about that," said Kate Michelman, an abortion rights advocate who is leading Edwards's effort to attract women to his campaign. But, Michelman said, "eventually, gender will recede a bit from the foreground. It will recede a bit in its singular, driving importance. And women will be looking at the values, the views, the competence, the electability of a candidate."

Harrison Hickman, a pollster for Edwards, said he believes there is potential for Clinton's early bond with these voters to falter. "When you talk to women in more detail, they express doubts," Hickman said. Only when rival campaigns start trying to exploit those doubts, and when Clinton's camp starts addressing them, will the polls start to paint a more meaningful portrait of the race, he said.

Educational divide

According to the most recent Post-ABC national poll, taken between May 29 and June 1, women 18 to 44 years old are more likely to see Clinton as the most inspiring of the candidates. Clinton drew support from 61 percent of women who had at most a high school degree, compared with 18 percent for Obama. By contrast, female college graduates were more evenly split: 38 percent said they preferred Clinton, and 34 percent backed Obama. (Twelve percent said they supported Edwards.)

A large gap also appeared on the question of which candidate seemed the most honest and trustworthy: Clinton was considered most honest by 42 percent of women who had only a high school education, compared with 16 percent for Obama. But only 19 percent of college-educated women said Clinton is the most honest; 50 percent chose Obama.

"She ran the country for eight years, so I feel like she could do it again," said Juanita Anders, 71, a registered Democrat who lives in a rural area near Springfield, Ohio, and participated in the Post-ABC poll. Anders, who is a high school graduate with a bit of college education, said that she would "very much" like to see a female president and that, as a result, she has barely given Obama a second thought. She described her support for Clinton as "definite."

Effort to widen the gender gap
Clinton is pursuing multiple tracks in hopes of widening the gender gap. She recently banked endorsements from key women's political organizations, including Emily's List and the National Organization for Women. She has launched a women's finance committee to recruit female -- and, her campaign hopes, first-time -- donors. She held women-specific events -- a breakfast in New York, a club party in Washington -- last week and announced that Ellen Malcolm, the president of Emily's List, will serve as a national co-chairman of her campaign.

A video on her campaign Web site titled "Ready for Change" shows testimonials from female leaders and other women, interspersed with shots of crowds waving "Women for Hillary" signs.

One goal for the Clinton team: pulling in women as first-time political donors. At a recent meeting of members of the Clinton finance team, Susie Tompkins Buell, a Clinton fundraiser and California executive, shared the results of a report by the Women's Campaign Forum, a nonprofit organization with ties to Clinton.

The group found that women have accounted for less than a third of individual "hard money" contributions to political candidates but make up a huge untapped source for future donations.

latimes.com

WASHINGTON — Republicans antsy for a conservative standard-bearer in the presidential race have begun to rally behind Fred Thompson, propelling the former Tennessee senator to within hailing distance of the lead for the party's nomination, a new Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg Poll has found.

Former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani holds first place in the survey, with support from 27% of the Republicans and independents who said they plan to vote in the party's 2008 primaries.

But Thompson, an actor who played a prosecutor on NBC's "Law & Order," runs just behind, with 21%. Indications are he will join the race within the next month.

The two other major GOP contenders, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, fall well short of the leaders and are in a battle for third place. McCain was backed by 12% of those polled, Romney by 10%. The rest of the crowded field is mired in single digits.

Among the Democratic candidates, the race remains little changed from a Times/Bloomberg poll in April.

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton maintains a solid lead at 33%, followed by Illinois Sen. Barack Obama at 22%. Running third, with 15%, is former Vice President Al Gore, who continues to say he has no plans to seek the office he barely lost in 2000. Fourth is former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards at 8%.

MrsSpringsteen said:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The anti-poverty campaign founded by U2 rocker Bono and others is investing $30 million to pressure the presidential candidates to focus on the oft-forgotten issue, with its leaders arguing on Monday that helping the poor is a national security issue.

Dubbed ONE Vote '08, the bipartisan political push aims to get President Bush's successor to commit to taking concrete steps to combat hunger and disease while improving access to education and water across the globe.

i went to the launch party last night. it was generally impressive, not least because it seemed to attract a good bipartisan crowd.

and it's also why i think we're in for a U2 tour in '08.

Irvine511 said:

i went to the launch party last night. it was generally impressive, not least because it seemed to attract a good bipartisan crowd.

and it's also why i think we're in for a U2 tour in '08.

i didn't know there was a launch party last night! are you on some sort of mailing list? i'd really like to sign up now that i'm back in the area.

unico said:

i didn't know there was a launch party last night! are you on some sort of mailing list? i'd really like to sign up now that i'm back in the area.

no, i was just lucky -- got a very good friend who works for ONE. it was invite-only and had a bunch of politicians and Capitol Hill types, so i was kind of out of my element.

but it did make me want to get involved in some way.

Irvine511 said:

no, i was just lucky -- got a very good friend who works for ONE. it was invite-only and had a bunch of politicians and Capitol Hill types, so i was kind of out of my element.

but it did make me want to get involved in some way.

:ohmy: I know somebody who works for ONE! I wonder if we know the same person. :hmm:

[q]Is Texas turning blue? Poll shows Sen. Clinton faring well there

Et tu, Texas?

That just might be the reaction of President Bush to a new poll in the Lone Star State that shows Republicans at risk of losing his home state in the 2008 presidential contest.

Texas hasn't gone Democratic in a presidential race in more than three decades. But the survey shows Republican contender Sen. John McCain essentially tied with Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton among registered voters, with McCain at 36% and Clinton at 35% in a head-to-head contest. Republican Rudy Giuliani and Clinton also are essentially tied, at 32%-31%.

The telephone survey of 1,002 adults was taken from April 26 to May 7 by the Texas Lyceum, a nonpartisan civic group. The margin of error is +/- 3 percentage points. An executive summary of the report is available here.

Democratic Sen. Barack Obama fared less well than Clinton, though more voters were undecided. McCain beat Obama 32%-25%. Giuliani defeated Obama 32%-22%.

In the poll, nearly two-thirds of Texans said the country was on the wrong track. Four in 10 called the Iraq war the nation's most important problem. One in 10 cited immigration.[/q]

Texas going blue? That'll be the day....................I knew Bush was unpopular but this is incredible.

Last edited:
I'm watching The Hunt For Red October...with the future Republican nominee for President :wink:

I do love this movie though :drool: They cut SO much out of it on TV :angry: Some of my favorite scenes too. Stupid censors.

Aaaaanyway, I do think Fred Thompson will be the Republican nominee. He rallies the conservative base, and republicans know that they need their base to be active for GOTV in the general election...as we saw in '06 because they weren't motivated or voting.

forbes.com

America's Creepiest Candidates
David A. Andelman, 06.18.07

When it comes to the creepiest candidates or potential candidates for America's presidential sweepstakes, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich takes the prize, but Hillary Clinton isn't far behind.

Some 19% of the population polled in the June edition of the Forbes '08 Tracker, among the most unconventional polls in this year's presidential sweepstakes, call Gingrich creepy. He turns out to be the top Republican in this category among six who reached the baseline of 10% or more recognition in our sample who were questioned.

The creepiest Democrats turns out to be a dead heat--between Hillary Clinton and Al Gore. But here, the split is dramatically along gender lines. Some 20% of all the men find Hillary creepy, while only 10% of all women. For Gore it's 18% and 11%, respectively.

Neither Forbes.com nor E-Poll, the California market research company that is conducting the polling, defines any of the 46 attributes on which it polls its sample population--the same traits it has used to select high-level spokespeople for advertising campaigns for more than a decade. Politics, along with selling cars, television shows or any other product has become a complex process.

The 46 attributes help define trends and key drivers of what moves a person to respond or to react to the messaging and the messenger. In this case, the candidate's name is given to the polled population, which is then asked to match whichever of the attributes it believes is appropriate for the candidate in question.

More than three times as many men than women find Sen. Joseph Biden creepy--10% vs. 3%, which could be attributed to the fact that as we reported last month, 23% of all women polled found him the most handsome candidate, vs. just 5% of the men.

The bottom of the list is equally interesting. Fred Thompson, who's just beginning to stick his toe in the presidential waters, turns out to be the least creepy--only 2% of those polled cite him as such. That could be a tribute to the years he's been dispensing folksy good common sense as the New York District Attorney on Law & Order. No respectable Hollywood script writer would put creepy words into that mouth.

New York's real-life mayor, Mike Bloomberg, is creepy to only 4% of those polled. That could be a tribute to the fact that only 23% of the national sample express awareness of him, despite his having held office in what is undoubtedly America's most visible city for more than five years, not to mention having his own Web site, as well as a multibillion-dollar media empire including a global news agency, radio and television network, and book publishing and financial data operation all bearing his name--Bloomberg.

Bloomberg, who ran as a Republican for mayor of Democrat-dominated New York, is for the moment an undeclared candidate. But he has hinted fairly broadly that if he does run it will likely be as an Independent. And with a billion dollars of his own money he's said to be prepared to commit to the effort, he could be expected to jump substantially in national awareness.

Bloomberg's tied at a 4% rating on the Democratic side with Barack Obama and Christopher Dodd who, incidentally, no women find to be creepy. That could, of course, be a tribute in part to the fact that only 12% of those polled even had any idea who Sen. Dodd is.

i wasn't terribly pleased with her choice of campaign song. :yuck:

but the ad was cute. as political humor goes, not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom