Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:41 AM
For goodness sakes, I don't care where a candidate lives. It's his or her business where they want to live. If he can afford this, what's wrong with it?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
For goodness sakes, I don't care where a candidate lives. It's his or her business where they want to live. If he can afford this, what's wrong with it?
I'm no John Edwards fan, but I have to say I agree with you.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Edwards is one of the good guys.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

So given that Al Gore is sponsoring this huge climate change 7 city bonanza in July that U2 may play in - is that an indication that he's not running? If he's focusing his efforts on organizing that? Or could it just be worked into a campaign? I'm more and more thinking he isn't going to run. Which I always kind of knew, but a girl can hope.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Obama is in.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS....ap/index.html

Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois (AP) -- Senator Barack Obama plans to formally announce his candidacy for president Saturday.

Obama is a newcomer to the national scene, having served just two years in the Senate, but he already is considered Sen. Hillary Clinton's chief rival among many vying for the Democratic nomination in the 2008 presidential election.

He brings a wealth of political skills but a thin elective resume -- the very reason he chose to stage his official campaign launch from the steps of the Old State Capital.

Obama, the son of a black man from Kenya and a white American woman, would be the first black U.S. president if elected. He was tying his bid to the legacy of Abraham Lincoln, the president who ordered an end to slavery in the 1860s, and who served eight years in the Illinois Legislature. Obama also served eight years in the state legislature.

In a video message on his Web site Friday, Obama said he was launching "a journey to take our country back and change the fundamental nature of our politics."

"I know a lot of you are cynical about the possibilities of that change," Obama said. "Sometimes it seems as if the game is fixed and it only works for the few and the powerful, but I fundamentally believe there is another brand of politics.

"Let's go get to work," he said.

Obama planned to travel throughout Iowa on Saturday and Sunday before returning to Chicago, Illinois, for a rally Sunday night.

He planned to visit New Hampshire on Monday on the heels of Clinton, whose first visit to the state as a presidential candidate over the weekend provided some early competition for attention from Obama's announcement. Both states vote early in the party primaries.

Obama, 45, gained national recognition with the publication of two best-selling books, "Dreams From My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope," and by delivering the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

His optimistic message and his compelling biography immediately sparked talk of his White House potential. Obama was born in Hawaii and lived part of his childhood in Indonesia.

Initially he said he would not run for president, but he revealed last fall that he was considering it after receiving so much encouragement. He formed a presidential exploratory committee last month.

Since then, Obama has hired some of the Democratic Party's top talent to work on a campaign headquartered in his adopted hometown of Chicago, and he has offered some proposals.

He introduced a bill to prevent President Bush from increasing troop levels in Iraq and to remove U.S. combat forces from the country by March 31, 2008 -- legislation that has virtually no chance of becoming law while Bush is president.

Obama was not yet elected to the U.S. Senate when Congress voted to give Bush the authority to go to war, but he gave a speech in 2002 opposing the war. He said Saddam Hussein posed no imminent threat to the United States and predicted the invasion would lead to an occupation with undetermined costs and consequences.

His vision of what was to come in Iraq and his opposition to the invasion have helped build his support among the anti-war crowd.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

Obama is in.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS....ap/index.html

GOOD! I was ready to give him hell for declining an appearance here at the last minute. Yay though, this is going to be an exciting election.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
So given that Al Gore is sponsoring this huge climate change 7 city bonanza in July that U2 may play in - is that an indication that he's not running? If he's focusing his efforts on organizing that? Or could it just be worked into a campaign? I'm more and more thinking he isn't going to run. Which I always kind of knew, but a girl can hope.
Last night on Conan, he said (before his punchline) that it is rumored that Al Gore will be announcing his candidacy at the Academy Awards.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Barack is announcing right now...he got on the stage to City of Blinding Lights. I swear it must be an unwritten mandate that each democratic candidate must use a U2 song at their rallies.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Barack is announcing right now...he got on the stage to City of Blinding Lights. I swear it must be an unwritten mandate that each democratic candidate must use a U2 song at their rallies.
I think that if I were running for office, I'd blare U2 so loud it would make the speakers bleed.

And why? Just so I could come to FYM and read all the shocked posts about a conservative using U2 as "theme music".
Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

It would be pretty shocking

COBL is a good choice for an event like that though
Old 02-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

It would be pretty shocking

COBL is a good choice for an event like that though
Yeah, you're right, that would be the perfect choice!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:41 PM
If I had to guess who will end up on the Democratic ticket, I'd say Hillary for Prez and either Obama or Edwards for VP.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

In 1993 Memo, Giuliani Staff Gave Harsh Assessment of Flaws
Aides Wrote of His 'Weirdness Factor'

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 14, 2007; A03

Sometimes in politics, the most damaging accusations come from your own staff.

Rudolph W. Giuliani learned that lesson again yesterday when a "vulnerability study," including warnings about his "weirdness factor" and other perceived liabilities, surfaced from his second campaign for New York mayor, 14 years ago.

Last month, the New York Daily News obtained a secret blueprint for Giuliani's expected Republican presidential bid that detailed concerns such as his liberal views on social issues and his messy divorce from his second wife, Donna Hanover.

The 1993 report by two aides in Giuliani's mayoral campaign was obtained by Village Voice reporter Wayne Barrett for a book on Giuliani and was posted on the Smoking Gun Web site. Giuliani went on to defeat incumbent David N. Dinkins (D) in a rematch that year and won a second term four years later.

Tony Carbonetti, a senior political adviser to Giuliani, said last night that the report was not "relevant" because of the former mayor's record of reducing crime and welfare rolls. "He made New York City not only governable but livable once again," Carbonetti said. "I have no concern over a pre-campaign strategy book because Rudy's going to be judged on his record."

The "weirdness" question involved Giuliani's first marriage, to his second cousin. He had his 14-year union with Regina Peruggi annulled on grounds that the Roman Catholic Church had never properly approved the marriage. The 1993 memo said that Giuliani had given a "wide array of conflicting answers" about his personal life, bringing "the soundness of his judgment" into question, but that any attempt to question the marriage or his fidelity "should be deflected as a shameless act of negative campaigning."

In an echo of Giuliani's current quandary -- that his support for abortion and gay rights may alienate many conservative voters -- the 1993 memo declared: "He doesn't really fit in with the Republicans. Too liberal." Giuliani's aides were also concerned that, as a former Democrat, he would be painted as a flip-flopper, and that his tenure as an official in Ronald Reagan's Justice Department was an albatross for a liberal city. "There is not a minute to waste in inoculating against the Reagan Republican moniker," the memo said, adding that the candidate should emphasize his "independence from traditional national Republican policies."

Giuliani was deemed "vulnerable to charges of insensitivity toward racial minorities," the memo said, in urging him to soften his image. "Rudy Giuliani can -- and should -- be redefined for all voters, but especially minority voters." Giuliani had strained relations with black leaders and communities during his two terms as mayor.

Although some opponents painted him as "antigay," the report said, "gay marriage really is the only issue where Giuliani opposes the gay agenda."

While a supporter of abortion rights, Giuliani had stumbled badly on the issue in his 1989 mayoral campaign, sounding like "just another pro-life male politician trying to explain how he wasn't anti-woman," the memo said. The advisers said Giuliani could "win over undecided pro-choice activists" by being more "succinct" about his support for the procedure and for public financing of abortions.

The memo also reported the "charge" that "Giuliani received special treatment from a friendly federal judge to avoid military service during the Vietnam War," and later "hypocritically prosecuted draft dodgers." Giuliani, who was dropped by an Air Force ROTC program because of a hearing problem, received a rare occupational deferment in 1969 after a federal judge wrote a letter about the importance of his duties as a law clerk.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

I'll be seeing Barack on Saturday at the annual Jefferson Jackson day dinner...it'll probably be on C-SPAN so my fellow s should watch

I'm still completely undecided. We've got great candidates running...but will they make good presidents? That's my question.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:41 PM
^ There are definitely some great candidates. They'd all make a good President, IMO. Hillary has the best chance of winning, though, because:

* the Clintons know exactly how to beat Republicans. Ever seen the documentary "The War Room"?

* The Republicans won't have any "dirt" on Hillary. They've been going after her for years, and there are no more skeletons in her closet. She's squeaky clean, unlike Obama.

* Like it or not, the 2008 election will largely be decided by which candidate can raise the most money. That's reality. That was a huge reason why Bush won in 2000 and 2004. Clinton can outraise anyone in the field, including the Republican nominee.

* Hillary is ahead in all the polls. She leads Obama by ~ 20 points right now, and beats McCain in a head-to-head matchup.