Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

From Today's BIRMINGHAM NEWS:

"Candidate A" and "Candidate B"asked voters Monday to elect them lieutenant governor because of their years of experience.

In the final day of a close campaign, "Candidate A" pointed to her term as state treasurer and said she knows government and works well with people.

"Frankly, I think another trait that is of value is being a female," "Candidate A" said when asked why people should elect her instead of "Candidate B" to be presiding officer of the state Senate.

"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on candidate A's comments from today's newspaper.

~U2Alabama

Old 11-05-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
Kid A

Local Time: 08:36 PM
wink

could you imagine if a male candidate had said, "you know, men are naturally tougher and more decisive in decision-making, therefore I feal I am better qualified than my opponent"

of if a white candidate said, "you know, I am white and most Americans are white, so cleary I identify more with the American people than my [insert minority designation here] opponent"

Clinton's opponents should point out that they didn't let their dog get hit by a car, thus making them more sensitive to animals and the environment

Old 11-05-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal i'll nurture her face.

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.
that's really lame.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
Refugee

**GROAN**
Old 11-06-2002, 12:10 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:36 PM

She seems to have won the election by a large margin.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:41 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:36 PM
I dont think being female in any given scenario is something to be considered a virtue. Its just the way things are. Duh.
"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," --blah. Whatever. Some women have it, some dont. Some men have it, some dont. Interesting statements to base your political career on? Who cares that she will love and treat her public like children and nurture them...does she have the balls to do the job?

Oops, I said balls...I will throw myself in front of the next semi driven by a feminist.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:00 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
"Frankly, I think another trait that is of value is being a female," "Candidate A" said when asked why people should elect her instead of "Candidate B" to be presiding officer of the state Senate.

They're attempting to play the religious right, who would actually be stupid enough to fall for this.

Melon
Old 11-06-2002, 11:53 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Unfortunately, the reaction to such a statement will largely depend on whether there is a little "R" or a little "D" next to their name.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Oops, I said balls...I will throw myself in front of the next semi driven by a feminist.
I consider myself a feminist, yet I don't drive a semi, burn my bra or agree with what this senator said.

Stereotypes.. go figure.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:44 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ugh......

We had a female Democratic candidate for Governor, who should have won , but anyway..as far as I know, she never made any statements like that.

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming'

Many people considered that to be very patronizing and chauvinist...I did
Old 11-06-2002, 01:07 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Gina Marie

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming'
Of course her conduct in that debate was deplorable, and probably what cost her the election. Catcher's Mitt could certainly have picked a better word than "Unbecoming" of course, but it was curious that Shannon didn't mention it during the debate, but the next day while she campaigned with Hillary Clinton (who is not sensitive to animals, ask Buddy ), it gets mentioned as a sexist remark.
I'm just sad Robert Reich lost in the primary...would have been fun to see him carrying a milk crate to the podium every time he had to make a speech.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:15 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson

I'm just sad Robert Reich lost in the primary...would have been fun to see him carrying a milk crate to the podium every time he had to make a speech.
Well, I have nothing to say about the merits (lack thereof ) of Mitt Romney ..frankly I find most things about him to be 'unbecoming'..he reminds me of a Ken doll

Reich is shorter than even *runs away*

Old 11-06-2002, 01:21 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

That was the big problem with this election, you had most people choosing who was least offensive, basically deciding between the lesser of 2 evils.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:54 PM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Re: Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

They're attempting to play the religious right, who would actually be stupid enough to fall for this.

Melon
I don't think the "compassion and caring" and women are better than men line came from the religious right. That's right out of the left and its feminists and you know it. I don't think I've heard Jesse Helms speak about how women are superior...hmmmm...maybe I'm missing something.

The arguement is incredibly lame and plays out to the grrrl power types. Besides, every woman in politics is just like every man. They talk the same and act the same. They're just as petty (Shannon O'Brien is a great example) and mean-spirited. Party politics and values seems to be more of a defining factor.

When I hear someone boasting about how compassionate and caring they are, I hear "more welfare" and "endless social welfare programs".
Old 11-06-2002, 03:56 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
My question is, what were her stances on other issues? Yes, the whole idea of her being a woman makes her somehow more competant for a particular job is bull. Was this "nuturing of the state" the cornerstone of her campaign? Was her spin the fact that she was a woman? Or was she elected because of stances on other issues such as education, civil rights, etc....