Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gina Marie
ugh......

We had a female Democratic candidate for Governor, who should have won , but anyway..as far as I know, she never made any statements like that.

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming'

Many people considered that to be very patronizing and chauvinist...I did
Not that many people thought so, or Romney wouldn't have won. In fact, her and Hillary's crying about such a non-issue probably hurt her substantially in the election...that, and her general conduct leading to Romney's statement. Frankly, that was one of the most absurd tactics the Dems used in this election, trying to frame his use of "unbecoming" as a sexist remark. That's just stupid.

Old 11-06-2002, 05:36 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:38 PM
No offense, and I have complete distaste for 'arguing' in FYM, but honestly, I think that's a bit sexist to say they were 'crying' about that.

I think that and the debate (s) were a small part of it. He did win by only 5 percent. People seem to have the perception that Romney the businessman and person who seems to claim he singlehandedly rescued the troubled Olympics = person who can turn around the economy in MA. I think that was the most important factor in his victory. We will just have to wait and see how effective he is.....

Old 11-07-2002, 02:19 AM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:38 AM

Olive, sorry if you found that offensive. None was intended. The pros and cons of femminism are a debate for another thread. But anyways, tongue in cheek if you like Its very un PC even if you swap the gender role imo.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:02 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Meh...Massachusetts' Congress is 80% Democratic. Mitt Romney, just like Jane Swift, is irrelevant.

Melon
Old 11-07-2002, 08:46 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Olive, sorry if you found that offensive. None was intended. The pros and cons of femminism are a debate for another thread. But anyways, tongue in cheek if you like Its very un PC even if you swap the gender role imo.
Thanks Angela. Yes, for another thread I agree- and we'd probably agree on the pros and cons, too.

Gina- even more reason I like ya, we vote the same!
Old 11-08-2002, 05:23 PM   #21
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 01:38 PM
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archiv...89.html#002389

Channel 4 News had Michael Moore on for the Democrats and Laura Ingraham for the Republicans. She did rather well, but Mr. Moore had the last word:

"No wonder they win, they look better than us."
I wonder what would have happened if such a really harmless joke had come from the lips of a liberal or a conservative rather than a Leftist?

Political Correctness is not a matter of what is said; it is a matter of who says it. The annointed are "allowed" freedoms of speech unavailable to the hoi polloi. Had it been myself on ITV news, making the same remark, I would be pilloried for it.

Do not get me wrong: I am not castigating Michael Moore for this remark. I am merely pointing out there is an inherent asymmetry and illogic to the Left's position on Freedom of Speech. The fact is, I agree with Michael Moore. Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Smarter too.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:27 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by us3
http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archiv...89.html#002389

Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Ms Ingrahm is a sexy

DB9
Old 11-08-2002, 05:37 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by us3
[B"No wonder they win, they look better than us."[/B]
Quite frankly, I doubt he is far off. During John F. Kennedy's election in 1960, when polled, many female voters admitted that they were only voting for him, because of his looks. Appearance is everything, frankly. People may never want to admit to it, but the packaging has just as much to do, if not more, than the actual message.

Melon
Old 11-08-2002, 07:25 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 PM

Hey
Everybody KNOWS that Nixon was sexier then Jack Kennedy

thank
u
DB9
Old 11-08-2002, 09:46 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Hey
Everybody KNOWS that Nixon was sexier then Jack Kennedy

thank
u
DB9
Yeah Diamond......

I am sure all of those women at home watching that debate......

found the sweat pouring off Nixon quite sexy.......

LOL

Peace to all......
Old 11-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
From Today's BIRMINGHAM NEWS:

"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

Well, I can say that candidate A is clearly a Democrat.

No self-respecting Republican believes we need the governement to take care of us.

Caretaker of the people....PLEASE.........
Old 11-08-2002, 10:20 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Actually, it probably is a Democrat. These arguments remind me of the same arguments that "progressive" people used to argue for women's suffrage. As well intentioned as it was in this case (and I'm sure it was the same way with the Alabama political candidate), women and all other subordinate hegemonic groups deserve equality quite simply because we are human.

But, as activist Harry Hay once said, lamentingly, "Well, as a matter of fact, minorities don't have rights. To be let in, they have to be bringing something that the society needs and doesn't have." And I think that's why asinine comments like the one made by the Alabama political candidate continue to be made.

Melon
Old 11-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by us3
Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Smarter too.
How DARE you claim that ANYONE, especially a conservative like Laura Ingraham, is smarter than Michael Moore!!!! That is a cardinal offense! We all know that Michael Moore is the greatest and smartest and most special person in the world!

I cannot belive that you would have the audacity to make such a claim in the "Free Your Mind" forum os a U2 message board. How offensive!

~U2Alabama
Old 11-08-2002, 11:19 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:38 PM

YES, candidate A IS a Democrat.

Someone asked what the issues were or why she waon or something; her issue was name recognition. Her ex-husband was the former (and popular) state Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor; they divorced, she kept the name, and entered politics and has won every race since then.

She was not the religious right candidate; her opponent was the clear religious right candidate.

We also need to discuss the South Carolina Governor's race and the Montana Senate race. In both of these races, entities supporting the Democratic candidates did some sexuality-baiting against their opposing Republican campaigns.

In South Carolina, Republican candidate for Senate Lindsey Graham brought Rudolph Giuliani to town for a campaign fundraiser event. His Democratic opponent then attacked Graham's association with Giuliani because, allegedly, Giuliani was kicked out of his house by his wife and had taken up residence with two gay men. Lindsey Graham won the election.

In Montana, the Democratic candidate for Governor ran a television ad showing video footage of the Republican candidate working as a hairdresser, thus insinuating that he was gay. The Republican candidate won.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-09-2002, 12:28 AM   #30
us3
The Fly

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Quite frankly, I doubt he is far off. During John F. Kennedy's election in 1960, when polled, many female voters admitted that they were only voting for him, because of his looks. Appearance is everything, frankly. People may never want to admit to it, but the packaging has just as much to do, if not more, than the actual message.

Melon

u might be on to something. ppl listening to the kennedy/nixon debate thought nixon won. TV viewers thought opposite.

Bono concurs....

http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/Al...607/t_=4841968

diamond don't be jealous.