Offensive Candy??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh come on - many, many things in this world are sick (anould never ever be tolerated). For example, those who go around doing the things mentioned above. Comparing a silly bit of candy - which recreates what we have seen in cartoons - to THAT,is just ridiculous.

A sense of perspective is all I'm asking for. Since when were candy shapes responsible for encouraging all society's ills? :rolleyes:

Bono's American Wife said:
peeps4.jpg

peeps.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You guys make me happy :hug:. I'm so glad people agree. Like I said, anyone who abuses real-life animals are jerks, but candy DOESN'T HAVE FEELINGS, so it just seems strange to be so bothered. And sally_cinnamon, I agree about blaming inanimate objects for society...it's kinda like those people who blame Barbie dolls for making girls want to go on diets and stuff. Yeah, they're dolls, people...they had no part in a girl going on a diet, they can't tell her she needs to lose weight to look like a Barbie, they didn't force her into going on a diet. I played with Barbies all the time as a kid...no bad influences here.

It's just dumb. There's nothing wrong with worrying about serious issues like animal abuse or dangerous diets, but people blame the wrong things for the causes of that stuff, and it's not helping the problem at all.

As for Peeps...every time I see those now, I can't help but think of something my mom does...whenever she gets Peeps (she and my sister love those...I used to eat them a lot when I was little, but not so much anymore), she has this habit of coming up to me with the box of candy and singing, "Closer than my peeps you are to me...". Yeah...

Angela

here are my thoughts as a vegetarian (i do not support eating creatures that have lived), whoever thought of this idea is disgusting. however, to "rabble, rabble, rabble" is pretty pointless and petty. furthermore, it is also petty to "rabble, rabble, rabble" about those who feel passionate about this.

Hi!

Well....I know a good way to stop it.....just don't buy any of their other brand products......hurt them where it hurts the most.....their pocketbooks.....then maybe they'll get the point.

I hate when companies take advantage of the children.....

carol
wizard2c

:|

Hi!

It's what is called subliminal messages........betcha can't catch it over the radio or tv waves.....but it's there.

Don't they sell enough of candy already....why do they have to come up with some "stupid" product........just where is mankind going anyway.......don't answer that....I already know.....and it begins with a capital "H"...

carol
wizard2c

:eyebrow:

blueyedpoet said:
here are my thoughts as a vegetarian (i do not support eating creatures that have lived), whoever thought of this idea is disgusting. however, to "rabble, rabble, rabble" is pretty pointless and petty. furthermore, it is also petty to "rabble, rabble, rabble" about those who feel passionate about this.

I agree - particularly that making this type of candy isn't exactly tasteful.

Still, there's a difference between making a fair point and doing the "rabble" thing ala South Park. Of course, it's great that we get passionate about things - I personally, as one of the many people who despise animal cruelty, just feel that we should be helping our cause better by attempting to solve the problem, as opposed to complaining about a product that in all likelihood will have no effect - and I don't see how that can be classed as "petty", when it's merely common sense.

There's a difference, also, between feeling passionately about a cause, and being blind and hysterical.:shrug: The first is great; the latter is pointless. In my view, that's also common sense.

Early this morning, I remembered a campaign that Walkers crisps ran here in the UK, by making 'Hedgehog' flavoured crisps. This was around 1985. There was a pic of a hedgehog on the packets saying "please don't squash me!", obviously referring to all the hedgehogs that become roadkill due to people's carelessness. :(

I remember being upset by this, as were many of my classmates - but it had a positive effect: it raised awareness of the problem. In fact, my year group were so unhappy about this that we did a sponsored silence - much to the relief of our parents - in order to raise money for Hedgehog sanctuaries around the UK. We were 7 years old. What I'm trying to point out is that, this sort of thing is more likely (in my opinion, and based on experience) to have a positive effect.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
Still, there's a difference between making a fair point and doing the "rabble" thing ala South Park. Of course, it's great that we get passionate about things - I personally, as one of the many people who despise animal cruelty, just feel that we should be helping our cause better by attempting to solve the problem, as opposed to complaining about a product that in all likelihood will have no effect - and I don't see how that can be classed as "petty", when it's merely common sense.

There's a difference, also, between feeling passionately about a cause, and being blind and hysterical.:shrug: The first is great; the latter is pointless. In my view, that's also common sense.

Agree completely :up:.

As for the whole "subliminal messages" thing...I guess I must either be deaf or blind or something, 'cause any subliminal messages that may be out there...I don't catch them.

Unless some company is pretty much holding a person down, with a gun to their head, and things along that line, to make them buy their products, for people out there to say that some commercial or some magazine or some book or some TV show or some movie or some song or whatever FORCES somebody to do something is not true. All those people are doing is just putting something out there. It's still up to the CONSUMER to decide whether or not to buy the product they're selling, or to buy into the message they're putting out, or whatever.

Angela

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me that Kraft halted the production of Roadkill Candies. Now if I was a psychotic barbaric child, I'd probably feel a little different.

Gummies :drool:
Roadkill :(
Roadkill Gummies :ohmy: :scratch: :coocoo:

Let the anti-gummi groups have their fun.
The more they make the news, the more we can laugh at them.

Good. i'm glad they stopped production. Society is blase enough and dare I say it, desensitised on too much already. Maybe I'm being a little humourless because my media is doing a spate of animal cruelty stories lately. Dont get me wrong, I dont think it will actively encourage cruel behaviour, but I do believe stupid and blase children grow into stupid and blase adults. Roadkill is not novelty.

And Americans, please for the love of God make note of this:
TIRE: fatigue, sleepy
TYRE: Rubber on outer rim of wheels.

:madspit:

Angela Harlem said:
Good. i'm glad they stopped production. Society is blase enough and dare I say it, desensitised on too much already. Maybe I'm being a little humourless because my media is doing a spate of animal cruelty stories lately. Dont get me wrong, I dont think it will actively encourage cruel behaviour, but I do believe stupid and blase children grow into stupid and blase adults. Roadkill is not novelty.

Well said and very true :yes: :up:

Angela Harlem said:
Americans, please for the love of God make note of this:

I've lived near Goodyear all my life, so this will be a little challenging to remember. :wink:

Hi!

Guess I'm strange but i actually feel sorry for those little animals that are called "road kill" when I come across one in the road......yes, strange indeed.

carol
wizard2c

I don't think anyone said they didn't feel sorry for animals hit by cars. Way to generalize and skim past some very well-written arguments. :rolleyes:

I would rather see the energy and money put towards a silly campaign like this directed to reducing the Real Life Problem--think how many signs they could post along wildlife heavy areas warning drivers, or working to alter speed limits in such places.
Or the hours they could put in working or raising funds for some place like CROW (http://www.crowclinic.org/) which deals with the REAL consequences of injured wildlife.

This campaign was all about the effect it would allegedly have on children--why not work with a wildlife rehabilitation center and focus on actual *education*? For children to see a real animal, unable to return to the wild because it was injured by a car--and stressing that some people think it's fun to hit animals on purpose--is far more beneficial than banning some stupid gummi candy.

The candy may have been utterly tasteless and gross, but campaigns like these just strike me as lazy and attention-grabbing. Hey, instead of grubbing it in the animal welfare trenches, let's start a candy campaign! Minimum output, maximum publicity.

I guess one could put a positive spin on it by saying it drew attention to the problems of wildlife--but I'm just not that positive. My opinion is that it just made more people laugh at animal welfare activists, and when a real problem comes up, the public/media be eager to dismiss it. :|

I think most animal welfare groups do direct their energy to the things you mentioned above. I think the candy is another issue which needed attention. Basically, animals should not be portrayed in a negitive way, especially when children are involved. Not only that, I think our society is above producing products for children which are so ignorant and disgusting. Of all the types of products to produce, why produce something like that? Also, people have been laughing at animal welfare groups for a long time. I don't care, let them laugh all they want. In the end, the ASPCA got the last laugh because kraft halted production. Again, I am sure this ASPCA does other work which is also very productive.

Last edited:
I would be more offended by the chemical taste and colour additions that ( probably ) is in it. It would not surpice me that the additives (sp) have more influence on the violent behaviour of kids than the shape of the candy.

Re: Reply

wizard2c said:
Hi!

Guess I'm strange but i actually feel sorry for those little animals that are called "road kill" when I come across one in the road......yes, strange indeed.

carol
wizard2c

Nobody is arguing with that - please point out to me a post in this thread in which anybody states that they disagree with that point.

Like you, I love animals, and like most people I dislike seeing "roadkill". I do, however, have a sense of perspective. I can't say I'd buy the candy myself - it's very distasteful - but that doesn't mean I condone the murder of animals. This is simple COMMON SENSE, as opposed to blind hysteria, and blaming a problem on something that is unrelated. Good grief.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:

:up: I think the idea is awful and glad that it's being scrapped.

Why don't Americans spell "tire" with the cute looking "y"? :)

Sheltie said:
I think most animal welfare groups do direct their energy to the things you mentioned above. I think the candy is another issue which needed attention. Basically, animals should not be portrayed in a negitive way, especially when children are involved. Not only that, I think our society is above producing products for children which are so ignorant and disgusting. Of all the types of products to produce, why produce something like that? Also, people have been laughing at animal welfare groups for a long time. I don't care, let them laugh all they want. In the end, the ASPCA got the last laugh because kraft halted production. Again, I am sure this ASPCA does other work which is also very productive.

Most?

ALL should be directing their energy. To do otherwise is laughable. But I guess laughing is ok. Meanwhile as people laugh at stories like these, they ignore real animal welfare problems. I cannot believe this is actually a good state of affairs.

But hey, a victory. Way to go. Meanwhile, manatees skirt extinction, because people deliberately hit them with boats...but hey, at least we don't have gross candy anymore.

The ASPCA wasn't behind the campaign, by the way. It was a New Jersey animal rights group, the NJSPCA. The ASPCA has better things to do with their time, like preventing real animal cruelty.

Please. I'm done with this debate. It's obviously falling on several pairs of deaf ears. I'll take my own advice and use my time volunteering instead.

this is retarded.

animal rights activists need to lick a bag, and get a life.

sure, there's a time and place for them, but SHIT! direct your energy where animals are actually being tormented!!!

idiots. i wanna fight em all.

Back
Top Bottom