OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Remember those yellow wristbands in support of Lance Armstrong and his heroic struggle to defeat cancer? Well, take a look at who's wearing the newest fashion accessory and why:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004521718,,00.html

and if that's not cool enough, take a look who might soon be joining the Global AIDS struggle (I hope) :

http://www.canada.com/search/story.html?id=d8e4cdfa-0072-4a52-8c2d-f5a077b9086f

I thought both of these articles were WONDERFUL and INSPIRING and wanted to share them with you all. :wink:

I really do hope that down the road Brad Pitt will join the active voices of those who support the Global AIDS struggle because we need every strong voice we can get.

And I think that Brad has a sincere heart for humanity.

And I hope if you have a chance to purchase a white wristband to show your support of the Global AIDS movement, that you'll do it and wear it proudly! :up:

We need ALL OF US to show our concern for the REST OF US!

WE GET TO CARRY EACH OTHER....:hug:

Not to get too technical, the wrist bands are to draw attention to the war on poverty, which could include AIDS I suppose, but it does not say that in the article about the wrsit bands.

[Q]The white wristbands are tipped to become the worldwide symbol of the war on African poverty — and are already the latest celebrity fashion accessory. Japan’s leading stars have pledged to sport white bands around their heads. [/Q]

Jamila said:
Remember those yellow wristbands in support of Lance Armstrong and his heroic struggle to defeat cancer?

Remember them? I've had a package on order for a couple of weeks now. The kids at school that don't have one feel left out.

If you notice a link to buy the white ones, please post it Jamila. I will be ordering them. :)

Where can we buy these white wristbands at?
Are they even available yet?

diamond said:
symbolism before substance?

:yes:

It is the new ribbon.

For a decade, we have had different color ribbons representing different causes or concerns. Soon some ribbons were larger than others. I bet stars wore certain ribbons because their publicists told them it would be good for their image.

You can wear all the stuff you want - it would be far better to send money to the organization in need.

the real deal about compassion is this.
u can throw money at somebody or write a check and feel u did a compassionate act.
that's not compassion(see the parable of Christ and the rich young ruler or the widow's mite parable)

but is that really compassion?
compassion is:
spending your own personal time:

-changing bed pans of sick AIDS patients
-visiting the sick
-visiting those less forunate than you
-volunteering in a soup kitchen during the holidays.

that is real compassion and caring, not sporting a wrist band as it is the latest fashionably compassionate thing to do.

have i've done the things that i listed?
no.
not as much as i should.

do i plan to more?
yes.

will i tell u about it?
no.

in the mean time i plan not to sport a wrist band.

db9

Last edited:
Yes he certainly has, but I just don't think someone should be faulted for wearing one even if they haven't "walked the walk"

Anything that raises awareness is fine w/ me :shrug:

Ok...I DO do my part in trying to help this emergency. That being said, I still would like a wristband...it's a passive and easy way to potentially spread awareness.

Anyone have a link for were I can find one?

my point is -
i kinda get nasueated when i see every
hollywood "wanna be" that will never get out of their own comfort zone sporting these wrists bands.

my post re this subject isn't directed at anybody here.

also heres a scripture to consider-

That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

peace out,
diamond

Last edited:
this is why i don't wear ribbons...

Lance Armstrong came up with a great idea to raise money for his Livestrong Foundation. For once, can we just leave it at that? Do we need 5000 different wristbands for every cause on earth? One can only fit so many on their wrist... leave Lance's idea alone, come up with your own idea. Charities competing with each other for your wrist is not a good idea for anyone involved.

So now one type of charitable giving is more "worthy" than another? People who give money are lower on the scale than people who give time?

The Hollywood "look at me" crowd may deserve some criticism because of the bandwagon factor but there are a lot of us who give very generously by donating cash, clothing, household goods, food and participate by writing letters, sending faxes and emails.

One man's "hands on" help may be different than mine but as long as its done for the greater good, don't judge..even if I'm wearing a bracelet or ribbon ;)

*sorry, I should have quoted..this was kinda directed at diamond :wink:

Last edited:
The problem with these symbolic gestures of support is that they become a trite measuring stick of care (I have my ribbon on, so I care - where is yours).

Well, so much for our "kinder and gentler" FYM! :lmao:

First, for those of you interested in the white wristbands - they make mention of this being connected to the "Make Poverty History" Campaign in the UK which is why I posted a link to that website to check it out for updates on the wristbands.

Also due to the fact that the new Band Aid will be wearing these this weekend during the recording of "Do They Know...." and that the wristbands MAY be in the new video, I'm sure that we'll know more down the road. Just keeping looking around and so will I. :up:

Also, I'm in Austin where Lance Armstrong lives and he has been a quiet supporter of Bono and Global AIDS funding for a few years now so I highly don't think he needs any of us speaking on his behalf - I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF HE DOESN'T START WEARING ONE OF THEM! :hug:

And one more wonderful article on Brad Pitt (with Nelson Mandela)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3998469.stm

STAY POSITIVE - THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE.

THE GOAL IS SOUL.... :applaud:

Your right Jamila the wristbands should be available through that website once they get it up and going.

I don't consider the wristbands a measure of caring or a ohh look at me, I do see it as a sign of support, now if someones wearing it for all the wrong reasons thats their own thing to deal with.

It's a symbol of support to alot of people, and to alot of people it will help raise awarness. Sure it has it's own currency just like celebrity does.

This is not to compare but I proudly wear a poppy for rememberance day out of respect for those who gave their life and a rememberance to never forget. It's a symbol as well and I am damn proud to wear it. As I will be to wear a wristband it means something to me, it will remind me . And hey if someone says whats that white wristband I can spread the message

You know, it's our conservative naysayers in this thread who are the ones who consistently will challenge any comment I post here. Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me.

For those of us who have shown interest in the wristbands here - stars, BostonAnne, Mrs, Springsteen, even U2democrat, are all women who are ACTIVELY INVOLVED in political and social change organizations (especially involving Global AIDS) so for anyone to insinuate that we would wear these wristbands to substitute for active involvement in Global AIDS organizations is ridiculous ....and the naysayers know it. :tsk:

And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy :lol: ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Unless you are doing more than the rest of us here, you actually belittle your own viewpoints and make yourselves look silly! :yes:

Let's keep the discussion in FYM ELEVATED - let's talk seriously about issues and solutions of problems and not try to hijack threads because you don't like the poster.

That is just childish on your parts.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.

http://www.data.org :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila said:
You know, it's our conservative naysayers in this thread who are the ones who consistently will challenge any comment I post here. Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me.

For those of us who have shown interest in the wristbands here - stars, BostonAnne, Mrs, Springsteen, even U2democrat, are all women who are ACTIVELY INVOLVED in political and social change organizations (especially involving Global AIDS) so for anyone to insinuate that we would wear these wristbands to substitute for active involvement in Global AIDS organizations is ridiculous ....and the naysayers know it. :tsk:

And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy :lol: ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Unless you are doing more than the rest of us here, you actually belittle your own viewpoints and make yourselves look silly! :yes:

Let's keep the discussion in FYM ELEVATED - let's talk seriously about issues and solutions of problems and not try to hijack threads because you don't like the poster.

That is just childish on your parts.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.

http://www.data.org :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Okay, that post SERIOUSLY rubbed me the wrong way. I can't tell you how sick I am of your judgmental, condescending posts and your name calling, all softened up with cute smilies.

Did you even bother to read what I wrote?? I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU. And what the hell would make you lump me in with "the conservative naysayers?" You know NOTHING about me or my politics. Please, lets do each other a favor...why don't you put me on ignore and I'll do the same with you.

Back
Top Bottom