OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

That's the problem, there are a couple people here who cannot discuss their cause without boasting, horn tooting, preaching, and being judgemental and condescending to others. The worst thing is the sugar coated, sarcastic, vieled attacks covered by smilies. I am not the only person who feels this way. It does your cause no good to treat others like that.
I understand what you are saying. I agree, it isn't helpful to drive people away from your ideas/beliefs with criticism and judgment. However, it goes both ways. Sometimes sincere and challenging comments are misinterpreted and insulted. I read the same posts and see someone that is on a set path to do good things to bring awareness to an emergency that is costing too many lives every day. So many times I see the rebuttals to the way the poster is trying to achieve support, but nothing to offer to the subject at hand.

In summary, I have seen both sides be overly judgmental to the other and hope that both sides will think twice before attacking the other party.

I also think that all parties involved should reflect on how to handle themselves better towards each other, take a step back and be more considerate. Come on, shake hands.... truce... please..

Old 11-10-2004, 07:20 PM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You can wear all the stuff you want - it would be far better to send money to the organization in need.
Who is to say that by wearing that stuff, it isn't inspiring others to send money too and then the organization might have more money.

Not directed to nbc,

but what do you think of all the Patriotic stuff that has been sold since 9/11. The millions of flags for cars and now the "support our troops" ribbon magnets for cars to name a couple. Patriotic supplies are available year round now, not just around the 4th of July. Can this be compared to awareness bracelets?

Old 11-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #48
War Child

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I agree, it isn't helpful to drive people away from your ideas/beliefs with criticism and judgment. However, it goes both ways. Sometimes sincere and challenging comments are misinterpreted and insulted. I read the same posts and see someone that is on a set path to do good things to bring awareness to an emergency that is costing too many lives every day. So many times I see the rebuttals to the way the poster is trying to achieve support, but nothing to offer to the subject at hand.

In summary, I have seen both sides be overly judgmental to the other and hope that both sides will think twice before attacking the other party.

I also think that all parties involved should reflect on how to handle themselves better towards each other, take a step back and be more considerate. Come on, shake hands.... truce... please..
BostonAnne that is an excellent post
Old 11-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #49
Refugee

Thanks Katey.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:30 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 AM
All that's important ----->

If you got that, everything should fall where it should.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:45 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

Problem here is.......

It is a two way street.

The GOAL is not to ELEVATE yourself above others so that you feel superior to them.

If we are ONE but not the same, we can still work together, without insulting each other.

Example, I consider you to be a person who exemplifies this. we may not agree on our politics, butwe have ALWAYS treated each other with repect and you made me feel welcome in the fight against AIDS and POVERTY. You did not urge people to ignore me and hope that I would go away in the first thread that you did not politically agree with.

I fail to see how any of us who have felt the brunt of the veiled smiley attack, laced with religious superiority, laced with the I can attack you because I am better than you because of my charity work, laced with the impression that we are not worthy to criticize, laced with comments that republican charity helping oneself(END OF RUN ON) have not been tolorant. We are tired of it.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:17 AM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Example, I consider you to be a person who exemplifies this. we may not agree on our politics, butwe have ALWAYS treated each other with repect and you made me feel welcome in the fight against AIDS and POVERTY. You did not urge people to ignore me and hope that I would go away in the first thread that you did not politically agree with.
I did not understand what that was all about and know your feelings were hurt. I miss your posts in the fight against AIDS and POVERTY and hope you continue again. I am very interested in hearing an update from you on your project for Church.

I totally agree that this is a two way street and meant ALL parties involved.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:22 AM   #53
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm wearing green tonight... perhaps i should take out my green "stop mexican whooping cough" bracelet, but i'll have to leave my light pink "stop pink eye" bracelet at home, unfortunatly. it's always a conversation starter. oh well.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dreadsox
You did not urge people to ignore me and hope that I would go away in the first thread that you did not politically agree with.

Quote:
I did not understand what that was all about and know your feelings were hurt.
Just to clarify.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:39 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 AM
I think it is possible to have both symbolism and substance. I don't think one precludes the other. Just wearing a white bracelet in itself doesn't mean that much without action of some sort to go with it. If you go out and raise some sort of hell and are motivated by that white bracelet, then more power to you.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:54 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Not directed to nbc,

but what do you think of all the Patriotic stuff that has been sold since 9/11. The millions of flags for cars and now the "support our troops" ribbon magnets for cars to name a couple. Patriotic supplies are available year round now, not just around the 4th of July. Can this be compared to awareness bracelets?
But, I will answer

This is an excellent example. When flags and ribbons began to appear after 9/11 and through the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, there were complaints from the anti-war crowd that their patriotism was brought into question - some even referenced the flags and ribbons. Ribbons and bracelets for these other causes fall in the same category.

Free speech means we can make our statements.

But frequently, with fad statements of support, a feeling of "if you are not with us (and wearing the appropriate ribbon, etc.), you are against us" is present. I've seen people essentially argue that they care more about a cause because they were wearing the right color-coded ribbon. It is this attitude, no matter what the underlying cause, I reject.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:17 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Just for the record, I put a flag symbol on my Tripod site right after 9/11, when they made it available for us to put on our sites for free. It's still there. To me it had nothing to do with partisan politics, just solidarity with all of the people that were suffering from the atrocity.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:58 PM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 11:27 PM

earl boykins wears one, and earl boykins is the man!
Old 11-12-2004, 02:10 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i'm wearing green tonight... perhaps i should take out my green "stop mexican whooping cough" bracelet, but i'll have to leave my light pink "stop pink eye" bracelet at home, unfortunatly. it's always a conversation starter. oh well.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #60
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by shrmn8rpoptart

earl boykins wears one, and earl boykins is the man!
perhaps you're right...

look... here's kenyon martin wearing a white one AND a yellow one!!!

and hey! here's everyone's favorite pothead carmello anthony wearing a yellow one!

and here's mello again... wait a minute... what color is that band that's around his wrist?

and oh my... there's that light blue one again, this time on k-mart's wrist...

sorry to disapoint... but as someone who's been involved in basketball my whole life, first as a player, now as a coach, i can tell you that wearing a thick rubber band around one's wrist is a basketball fashion statement started by kevin garnett, who first started wearing it on the court so he could "snap" himself if he made a mistake. and as with everything, eventually it gets overplayed and overmarketed, to the point where the nba now has colored rubberbands to match each team's uniforms... as you can see, the denver nuggets colors are white, yellow and carolina blue.

here is the man who started the trend himself, kevin garnett, wearing a deeper blue band, which matches the color of his uniform...

so while it's possible that the wee little lad earl boykins is wearing a "poverty band," i tend to doubt it.