OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?
Hey Jamila I know you do excellent work I know what you do and it's fantastic but just as we shouldnt have to prove where our motives are I don't think we should ask other people to prove what they have done. Everyone's different and everyone has their own reasons some are more private about what they do thats okay too the point is I don't think we should judge ANYONE for what we THINK they may or may not do or why they may or may not be involved.

The best you can do is give the facts and in the end people all have to decide for themselves

here is an interesting note a friend sent me a while back who is involved with DATA

"I just came from a think tank meeting with top notch political analysts and advisors who informed me that our elected officials see us (activists) as having unrealistic goals; and that we have no real understanding of the amount of time involved in getting legislature passed through the Senate and the House. Also, they said that, while our recent endeavors have gotten us much media attention; the media is focusing on our tactics and not on the issues behind these tactics. They advised that if we want to win this "war" we need to get the support of middle America and that they do not see any real evidence that we have achieved this.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
You know, it's our conservative naysayers in this thread who are the ones who consistently will challenge any comment I post here. Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me.

For those of us who have shown interest in the wristbands here - stars, BostonAnne, Mrs, Springsteen, even U2democrat, are all women who are ACTIVELY INVOLVED in political and social change organizations (especially involving Global AIDS) so for anyone to insinuate that we would wear these wristbands to substitute for active involvement in Global AIDS organizations is ridiculous ....and the naysayers know it.

And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Unless you are doing more than the rest of us here, you actually belittle your own viewpoints and make yourselves look silly!

Let's keep the discussion in FYM ELEVATED - let's talk seriously about issues and solutions of problems and not try to hijack threads because you don't like the poster.

That is just childish on your parts.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.

http://www.data.org

eh hem.. eh heh hem...

sorry, needed to clear my throat...

NEENER NEENER NEENER NEENER... how's that for childish?

FYI... I have a Lance Armstrong "LiveStrong" bracelet... however I rarely wear it. I don't need to go around showing everyone in the world "hey look at me! i don't like cancer!" not that everyone who wears them is doing just that, but the things have gotten so popular that many wear them just as a fashion statement at this point.

also, i don't feel the need to roll up my sleeve juuuuust enough to show people that i shelled out a dollar for a yellow bracelet like certain dodgy politicians have been known to do.

i don't need to PROVE to ANYONE what i have done for charity... be that actuall hands on work, or be it donating money. i know what i've done, and i keep it to myself, close to my heart. i don't need to share with the world every good thing I've done in order to make me feel better about myself.

who you really are isn't measured by the good you do when everyone's looking, it's by the good you do when no one's looking.

oh... AND i love HOW keeping FYM "positive" involved DIRECTING personal attacks at THOSE who may DISAGREE with YOU.

Old 11-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:55 PM
jamila,
i rarely look who the author of threads are.
i didnt notice u were the author of this one.
i was given a view point and wasnt looking to take a swipe at your good works.
ok?

peace,
db9
Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

You cannot be a conservative or a republican and be an AIDS activist.

You cannot possibly practice acts of good work and charity if you are a conservative and a republican because the acts that you do do are ususally self-serving ones

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fail to understand why people can point out how many ribbons ect. that we pin on ourselves is to be somehow translated into a personal attack on a member of this forum.

It is an observation and in my opinion a valid one. I also plan on getting myself one of these bracelets as soon as I can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is through Grace and Grace alone that we receive the forgiveness of our Sins.........All of the charity we do that seves to elevate ourself above our neighbor and make us feel all superior is sinful in God's eyes. I feel that wearing these badges, while the intentions are wonderful, somehow feed into that. IMHO.

I am so sick of people in here questioning what others do for charity as if you have a view of anyone elses soul besides your own.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am so sick of people in here questioning what others do for charity as if you have a view of anyone elses soul besides your own.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I agree Dreadsox. No offense Jamila - while I appreciate what you do and your kind words about me, I don't like singling people out like you did, in the way you did. I just don't see what warranted that. Maybe you took things personally that weren't meant that way. I don't want to assume or speak for you though

People here do far more than I do, and I don't question anyone's motives and or heart and soul when it comes to this issue, or what they do to better the world.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

This thing about giving time being more important than money is really a silly thing to say, because you holding the hand of an AIDS victim won't do a single thing to further the research at all.

I don't mind Hollywood throwing money at causes, because the way I see it, we need Mary to bring home the bacon, which allows those of us who volunteer and work in the field to do so in an easier manner.

As for those on this forum who feel the need to pat themselves on the back while putting down others, they should be reminded that sort of attitude says a lot more about themselves than they may want people to know.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:17 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
This thing about giving time being more important than money is really a silly thing to say, because you holding the hand of an AIDS victim won't do a single thing to further the research at all.

I don't mind Hollywood throwing money at causes, because the way I see it, we need Mary to bring home the bacon, which allows those of us who volunteer and work in the field to do so in an easier manner.

As for those on this forum who feel the need to pat themselves on the back while putting down others, they should be reminded that sort of attitude says a lot more about themselves than they may want people to know.
Best post yet.

Time, money, and awareness are all important in fighting poverty, disease -- virtually any cause. I don't think anyone who gives any of those very important things should be criticised.

So to those who criticised those who wear bracelets -- SLAP!

To those who criticised those who don't wear bracelets -- SLAP!

Each of us need to do what we can and we all need to stop being so damned concerned with what others are doing (or their possible motives).
Old 11-10-2004, 04:36 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

So to those who criticised those who wear bracelets -- SLAP!

To those who criticised those who don't wear bracelets -- SLAP!

Man I am going to wear a bracelet on one arm and none on the other....

Will you slap me twice....

harder baby....yeah
Old 11-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #40
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Since when is aids and poverty a fashion statement?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Man I am going to wear a bracelet on one arm and none on the other....

Will you slap me twice....

harder baby....yeah

Ooohh! A man after my heart!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
wow wristbands really are the new ribbons. there are also pink ones for breast cancer awareness. i want that and i want a white one now.
We sold the pink, yellow and I thought a red one at the store I work at. They absolutely blew out of the store and they don't know if they can get anymore. Everday customers come in looking for them. My boss bought a pink one for me.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #43
Refugee

Remember everyone - there's no them - there's only us....

The bracelets are good. Everyone that wears them will most likely think of the causes that they stand for more than they would if they didn't. Awareness is a good thing. Support is a good thing.

I don't agree that people should be private about their causes. Believing in something and working for something is healthy and good. Why hide it? (Boasting is another story however.)
Old 11-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Best post yet.

I agree! anitram, you always make so much sense!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
[BBelieving in something and working for something is healthy and good. Why hide it? (Boasting is another story however.) [/B]
That's the problem, there are a couple people here who cannot discuss their cause without boasting, horn tooting, preaching, and being judgemental and condescending to others. The worst thing is the sugar coated, sarcastic, vieled attacks covered by smilies. I am not the only person who feels this way. It does your cause no good to treat others like that.