OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2004, 07:31 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Yes he certainly has, but I just don't think someone should be faulted for wearing one even if they haven't "walked the walk"

Anything that raises awareness is fine w/ me

Old 11-10-2004, 07:44 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:30 AM
i think Bono sports it to raise awareness.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Ok...I DO do my part in trying to help this emergency. That being said, I still would like a wristband...it's a passive and easy way to potentially spread awareness.

Anyone have a link for were I can find one?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

my point is -
i kinda get nasueated when i see every
hollywood "wanna be" that will never get out of their own comfort zone sporting these wrists bands.

my post re this subject isn't directed at anybody here.

also heres a scripture to consider-

That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

peace out,
diamond
Old 11-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

this is why i don't wear ribbons...

Lance Armstrong came up with a great idea to raise money for his Livestrong Foundation. For once, can we just leave it at that? Do we need 5000 different wristbands for every cause on earth? One can only fit so many on their wrist... leave Lance's idea alone, come up with your own idea. Charities competing with each other for your wrist is not a good idea for anyone involved.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:06 AM   #21
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:30 AM
So now one type of charitable giving is more "worthy" than another? People who give money are lower on the scale than people who give time?

The Hollywood "look at me" crowd may deserve some criticism because of the bandwagon factor but there are a lot of us who give very generously by donating cash, clothing, household goods, food and participate by writing letters, sending faxes and emails.

One man's "hands on" help may be different than mine but as long as its done for the greater good, don't judge..even if I'm wearing a bracelet or ribbon

*sorry, I should have quoted..this was kinda directed at diamond
Old 11-10-2004, 08:07 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

The problem with these symbolic gestures of support is that they become a trite measuring stick of care (I have my ribbon on, so I care - where is yours).
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Well, so much for our "kinder and gentler" FYM!

First, for those of you interested in the white wristbands - they make mention of this being connected to the "Make Poverty History" Campaign in the UK which is why I posted a link to that website to check it out for updates on the wristbands.

Also due to the fact that the new Band Aid will be wearing these this weekend during the recording of "Do They Know...." and that the wristbands MAY be in the new video, I'm sure that we'll know more down the road. Just keeping looking around and so will I.

Also, I'm in Austin where Lance Armstrong lives and he has been a quiet supporter of Bono and Global AIDS funding for a few years now so I highly don't think he needs any of us speaking on his behalf - I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF HE DOESN'T START WEARING ONE OF THEM!

And one more wonderful article on Brad Pitt (with Nelson Mandela)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3998469.stm

STAY POSITIVE - THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....
Old 11-10-2004, 08:54 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

ok somebody give me a wristband so i can feel good about myself:
Old 11-10-2004, 08:59 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Love and condescension – is there a wristband for that?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Your right Jamila the wristbands should be available through that website once they get it up and going.

I don't consider the wristbands a measure of caring or a ohh look at me, I do see it as a sign of support, now if someones wearing it for all the wrong reasons thats their own thing to deal with.

It's a symbol of support to alot of people, and to alot of people it will help raise awarness. Sure it has it's own currency just like celebrity does.

This is not to compare but I proudly wear a poppy for rememberance day out of respect for those who gave their life and a rememberance to never forget. It's a symbol as well and I am damn proud to wear it. As I will be to wear a wristband it means something to me, it will remind me . And hey if someone says whats that white wristband I can spread the message
Old 11-10-2004, 09:34 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:30 AM
You know, it's our conservative naysayers in this thread who are the ones who consistently will challenge any comment I post here. Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me.

For those of us who have shown interest in the wristbands here - stars, BostonAnne, Mrs, Springsteen, even U2democrat, are all women who are ACTIVELY INVOLVED in political and social change organizations (especially involving Global AIDS) so for anyone to insinuate that we would wear these wristbands to substitute for active involvement in Global AIDS organizations is ridiculous ....and the naysayers know it.

And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Unless you are doing more than the rest of us here, you actually belittle your own viewpoints and make yourselves look silly!

Let's keep the discussion in FYM ELEVATED - let's talk seriously about issues and solutions of problems and not try to hijack threads because you don't like the poster.

That is just childish on your parts.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.

http://www.data.org
Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Jamila,

You've now stepped over the line into personal attacks.

Please stop and stick to the issues.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #29
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
You know, it's our conservative naysayers in this thread who are the ones who consistently will challenge any comment I post here. Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me.

For those of us who have shown interest in the wristbands here - stars, BostonAnne, Mrs, Springsteen, even U2democrat, are all women who are ACTIVELY INVOLVED in political and social change organizations (especially involving Global AIDS) so for anyone to insinuate that we would wear these wristbands to substitute for active involvement in Global AIDS organizations is ridiculous ....and the naysayers know it.

And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Unless you are doing more than the rest of us here, you actually belittle your own viewpoints and make yourselves look silly!

Let's keep the discussion in FYM ELEVATED - let's talk seriously about issues and solutions of problems and not try to hijack threads because you don't like the poster.

That is just childish on your parts.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.

http://www.data.org
Okay, that post SERIOUSLY rubbed me the wrong way. I can't tell you how sick I am of your judgmental, condescending posts and your name calling, all softened up with cute smilies.

Did you even bother to read what I wrote?? I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU. And what the hell would make you lump me in with "the conservative naysayers?" You know NOTHING about me or my politics. Please, lets do each other a favor...why don't you put me on ignore and I'll do the same with you.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

i'd prefer not to broadcast my charitable acts on public messages boards...
thanks,
diamond