October Surprise - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:45 AM
October Surprise

Rumours around the blogosphere is that the Washington Times (I know damn Moonies!) are going to pull an October surprise against Kerry on monday.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Where, exactly? I'm not seeing it on what are likely the 3 premiere leftist blogs (Echaton/Pandagon/Daily Kos)...

ETA: He's just been endorsed by the Washington Post.

We're 10 days away, and it all comes down to voter turnout. If voter turnout is in record numbers, Bush is as good as burnt toast.

Old 10-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
We're 10 days away, and it all comes down to voter turnout. If voter turnout is in record numbers, Bush is as good as burnt toast.
i know this are pretty good here. the highest number ever has turned out for early voting since it was started here in tennessee. now that doesn't mean that kerry will win the state, but i'm still glad more and more people are exercising their right to vote. but i know of at least four people in this state who have voted for kerry.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
New Yorker

this sucks if true. The Times is totally a shill for Republicans -- the owner has fully endorsed Bush.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:45 PM
i would think each side has at least 1 minor 'bomb' to drop in the next 9 days.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

The NYT story that will run tomorrow morning may just be the final nail in the Bush election coffin. It's now posted on their site and involves 380 tonnes of explosives stolen in Iraq.

Quote:
The International Atomic Energy Agency publicly warned about the danger of these explosives before the war, and after the invasion it specifically told United States officials about the need to keep the explosives secured, European diplomats said in interviews last week.
The US did not secure the site despite warnings. Now 380 TONNES are missing.

And it gets better:

Quote:
But the Bush administration would not allow the agency back into the country to verify the status of the stockpile. In May 2004, Iraqi officials say in interviews, they warned L. Paul Bremer III, the American head of the occupation authority, that Al Qaqaa had probably been looted. It is unclear if that warning was passed anywhere. Efforts to reach Mr. Bremer by telephone were unsuccessful. But by that time, the Americans were preoccupied with the transfer of authority to Iraq, and the insurgency was gaining strength. "It's not an excuse," said one senior administration official. "But a lot of things went by the boards."

It's time for a regime change in T-9 days.

Stunning incompetence.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 PM
oh yes yes.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
New Yorker

the Times "bomb shell" is that Kerry said he met with Security Council members before voting in the case of the Iraq War. He did this. The Times said there may be some random person alleging he didn't meet with one country or some nonsense.

The NY Times story anitram mentioned is going to be ALOT bigger.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:16 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't wait for Nov. 3rd.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
The NY Times story anitram mentioned is going to be ALOT bigger.
The NY Times is the real October surprise. Take one part old news, mix liberally and serve just before the election.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The NY Times is the real October surprise. Take one part old news, mix liberally and serve just before the election.
Old news? Condi was told about this only a month ago and kept her trap shut because her boss is running for reelection.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

It appears the explosives were stolen during the collapse of the Saddam regime. Interesting how the UN sat on this information for months and months and issues its report days before the election.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
It appears the explosives were stolen during the collapse of the Saddam regime. Interesting how the UN sat on this information for months and months and issues its report days before the election.
where do you get that from? according to cnn, the president's staff have a different timeline

from cnn
Quote:
McClellan, on Air Force One, stressed that the missing explosives were not nuclear materials, and said the storage site was the responsibility of the interim Iraqi government, not the United States, as of June 28, when the United States turned over the nation's administration to the Iraqis.
and even though its not their fault, its harmless,

Quote:
The senior administration official downplayed the importance of the missing explosives, describing them as dangerous material but "stuff you can buy anywhere." The official added that the administration did not see this necessarily as a "proliferation risk."
Old 10-25-2004, 11:45 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

From Reuters:

Quote:
The New York Times report cited White House and Pentagon officials -- as well as at least one Iraqi minister -- as acknowledging that the explosives vanished from the site shortly after the U.S.-led invasion amid widespread looting.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:53 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Where, exactly? I'm not seeing it on what are likely the 3 premiere leftist blogs (Echaton/Pandagon/Daily Kos)...

ETA: He's just been endorsed by the Washington Post.

I am very pleased that so many people are exercising their right to choose the President. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd rather people voted for Bush than didn't vote, and, hell, I'm a Kerry supporter. But I think voting to support our democracy outweighs any partisan considerations. Hell, our democracy wouldn't work without our fine conservative Republican voters.