Obama's fund-raising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
WASHINGTON(AP) Sen. Barack Obama raised $32.5 million from April through June, his presidential campaign said Sunday, in what is a record for a Democratic running for the White House.

That is more than what Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama's main Democratic rival, has said she would raise for the reporting period that ended Saturday.

At least $31 million of Obama's total is for party primaries, according to campaign aides.

The first-term senator from Illinois received donations from more than 154,000 individual contributors and through the first half of the year had 258,000 donors. Obama raised $25.7 million in the first three months of the year.

For Obama, keeping pace with Clinton in the money race is an important achievement. Despite broad public interest in his candidacy, he trails the New York senator and former first lady in national polls and in surveys in states with early nomination contests.

Hillary's way ahead in the polls. She's doing really well. She's married to a damn good advisor, I gotta say that. I'm still supporting Edwards. I wonder how he's doing in the fund raising department?

All politicians will go with who gives them the cash. As long as this is the case, we will have a system of corrupt, lying, untrustworthy politicians I won't vote for.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
All politicians will go with who gives them the cash. As long as this is the case, we will have a system of corrupt, lying, untrustworthy politicians I won't vote for.

that is true, for example look at what happened to clinton. but i'm just curious, do you think that not voting will just perpetuate the corruption?

I know that voting will perpetuate it. So not voting, if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo. If it continues, there is no hope for this country, none. I personally will not be a part of the game, and as long as people continue to believe, or to 'vote for the lesser of evils' you will be stuck with a lot of greedy, lying politicians who don't care about you, but pretend to so they can get your vote. You should all feel insulted the way they present themselves to you as products, and you fall for their lines, carefully written by spin doctors, coaches, and others behind the scenes. All of those plastic heads out there on the campaign trail are actors, and snake oil salesmen, and their word is worthless. When will enough of the public stop being taken for fools? There is no 'good guy' or 'lesser of evils.' That's the attitude that perpetuates the system, and they'll take it any way they can get it. But what's in it for you? If our current president, and our current cave in congress didn't prove that, what will it take?

Last edited:
AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
I know that voting will perpetuate it. So not voting, if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo. If it continues, there is no hope for this country, none. I personally will not be a part of the game, and as long as people continue to believe, or to 'vote for the lesser of evils' you will be stuck with a lot of greedy, lying politicians who don't care about you, but pretend to so they can get your vote. You should all feel insulted the way they present themselves to you as products, and you fall for their lines, carefully written by spin doctors, coaches, and others behind the scenes. All of those plastic heads out there on the campaign trail are actors, and snake oil salesmen, and their word is worthless. When will enough of the public stop being taken for fools? There is no 'good guy' or 'lesser of evils.' That's the attitude that perpetuates the system, and they'll take it any way they can get it. But what's in it for you? If our current president, and our current cave in congress didn't prove that, what will it take?

but on one hand, i could see a significan t decrease in voters resulting in politicians raising/spending even more money into their campaigns in their goal to win the populace.

i see what you mean, but i'm not sure if not voting will bring forth that sort of change as opposed to, for example starting a movement with a more active approach.

verte76 said:
Hillary's way ahead in the polls. She's doing really well. She's married to a damn good advisor, I gotta say that. I'm still supporting Edwards. I wonder how he's doing in the fund raising department?
His lack of fund raising success is killing his campaign right now.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
I know that voting will perpetuate it. So not voting, if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo.

No, it sends a message that we are apathetic.

Perhaps try voting for a third party candidate?

as for the original topic, good for obama... it's sad but it seems that $$ = election. I'm not totally sure about that though. I'd be interested to see statistics comparing elected candidates and their campaign money raised versus non-elected candidates (or nominated candidates for their parties). How much does money affect your chances of winning? I'm gonna bet a lot.

Obama is coming here for some fundraising thing, and the minimum donation required to attend the event is $1000... :yikes:

Canadiens1160 said:
His lack of fund raising success is killing his campaign right now.

There's also the thing where he's a windbag. :wink:

maybe if someone came out and actually had a plan to take action and told of what the plan would be (healthcare, Iraq,...) we'd get somewhere :shrug:

Did I make a wrong turn on the interference highway this morning? :der: :wink:

Money is one thing. You can only buy so many TV ads.
I'd guess even Edwards currently has enough money to make it past Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina and he only raised 9 mill, I think.

June polls:
CBS:
Clinton-48, Obama-24, Edwards-11
Fox:
Clinton-47, Obama-21, Edwards-13
CNN:
Clinton-43, Obama-25, Edwards-17
Newsweek:
Clinton-43 Obama-27, Edwards-14

I have a hard time being excited about supporting NYONE anymore. I just don't care as much anyore cause it all seems like BS.

AtomicBono said:

No, it sends a message that we are apathetic.

What good does it do to vote, when it's not doing you any good? You are only allowing their game to continue.

try voting for a third party candidate?

If enough people did this, maybe it would help. But they think it's a 'wasted' vote. A vote for any dem or rep is the real wasted vote.

And on the subject of having a plan, they don't, and even if they did, it would only be a lie they'd never live up to. It's all just acting to get you to put them in office. They don't care.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:

What good does it do to vote, when it's not doing you any good? You are only allowing their game to continue.

What good does it do to not vote? Even if only 5% (and as low as the percentage is it is never going to be that low) of the eligible voting population voted, one of the candidates would still win. Vote in the primaries for more honest candidates. Look into Ron Paul or Mike Gravel, they're very straight-up kinda guys, not the typcial politician phonies.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:

And on the subject of having a plan, they don't, and even if they did, it would only be a lie they'd never live up to. It's all just acting to get you to put them in office. They don't care.

um maybe you should read/hear them speak before you say that :huh:

the link unico provided for Kucinich has a very specific plan about Iraq. I know Edwards was the first Democratic candidate to come out with a full-fledged healthcare plan with details as opposed to just blanket statements of "i liek helthkar", and I believe Mitt Romney wants to use the Massachusettes model? Plenty of candidates HAVE given specifics. And lying, well, you can't know for sure. A lot of it depends on Congress approving their budget. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom