Obama's fund-raising - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Obama's fund-raising

WASHINGTON(AP) Sen. Barack Obama raised $32.5 million from April through June, his presidential campaign said Sunday, in what is a record for a Democratic running for the White House.

That is more than what Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, Obama's main Democratic rival, has said she would raise for the reporting period that ended Saturday.

At least $31 million of Obama's total is for party primaries, according to campaign aides.

The first-term senator from Illinois received donations from more than 154,000 individual contributors and through the first half of the year had 258,000 donors. Obama raised $25.7 million in the first three months of the year.

For Obama, keeping pace with Clinton in the money race is an important achievement. Despite broad public interest in his candidacy, he trails the New York senator and former first lady in national polls and in surveys in states with early nomination contests.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I saw that!

That's a ton of money!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

It sure is. The things I could do with that money.......go back to Turkey, buy the place, and move there.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That's a lot of deniro alright.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Hillary's way ahead in the polls. She's doing really well. She's married to a damn good advisor, I gotta say that. I'm still supporting Edwards. I wonder how he's doing in the fund raising department?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 11:13 PM
All politicians will go with who gives them the cash. As long as this is the case, we will have a system of corrupt, lying, untrustworthy politicians I won't vote for.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA
All politicians will go with who gives them the cash. As long as this is the case, we will have a system of corrupt, lying, untrustworthy politicians I won't vote for.
that is true, for example look at what happened to clinton. but i'm just curious, do you think that not voting will just perpetuate the corruption?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
War Child

I know that voting will perpetuate it. So not voting, if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo. If it continues, there is no hope for this country, none. I personally will not be a part of the game, and as long as people continue to believe, or to 'vote for the lesser of evils' you will be stuck with a lot of greedy, lying politicians who don't care about you, but pretend to so they can get your vote. You should all feel insulted the way they present themselves to you as products, and you fall for their lines, carefully written by spin doctors, coaches, and others behind the scenes. All of those plastic heads out there on the campaign trail are actors, and snake oil salesmen, and their word is worthless. When will enough of the public stop being taken for fools? There is no 'good guy' or 'lesser of evils.' That's the attitude that perpetuates the system, and they'll take it any way they can get it. But what's in it for you? If our current president, and our current cave in congress didn't prove that, what will it take?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo.
that sends the exact opposite message...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I know that voting will perpetuate it. So not voting, if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo. If it continues, there is no hope for this country, none. I personally will not be a part of the game, and as long as people continue to believe, or to 'vote for the lesser of evils' you will be stuck with a lot of greedy, lying politicians who don't care about you, but pretend to so they can get your vote. You should all feel insulted the way they present themselves to you as products, and you fall for their lines, carefully written by spin doctors, coaches, and others behind the scenes. All of those plastic heads out there on the campaign trail are actors, and snake oil salesmen, and their word is worthless. When will enough of the public stop being taken for fools? There is no 'good guy' or 'lesser of evils.' That's the attitude that perpetuates the system, and they'll take it any way they can get it. But what's in it for you? If our current president, and our current cave in congress didn't prove that, what will it take?
but on one hand, i could see a significan t decrease in voters resulting in politicians raising/spending even more money into their campaigns in their goal to win the populace.

i see what you mean, but i'm not sure if not voting will bring forth that sort of change as opposed to, for example starting a movement with a more active approach.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Hillary's way ahead in the polls. She's doing really well. She's married to a damn good advisor, I gotta say that. I'm still supporting Edwards. I wonder how he's doing in the fund raising department?
His lack of fund raising success is killing his campaign right now.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I know that voting will perpetuate it. So not voting, if enough people don't vote, has to send a message to them that we will no longer accept the status quo.
No, it sends a message that we are apathetic.

Perhaps try voting for a third party candidate?

as for the original topic, good for obama... it's sad but it seems that $$ = election. I'm not totally sure about that though. I'd be interested to see statistics comparing elected candidates and their campaign money raised versus non-elected candidates (or nominated candidates for their parties). How much does money affect your chances of winning? I'm gonna bet a lot.

Obama is coming here for some fundraising thing, and the minimum donation required to attend the event is $1000...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
His lack of fund raising success is killing his campaign right now.
There's also the thing where he's a windbag.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:13 PM
maybe if someone came out and actually had a plan to take action and told of what the plan would be (healthcare, Iraq,...) we'd get somewhere

Did I make a wrong turn on the interference highway this morning?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

I have a plan for Iraq. Vote for me.