Obama Slams Small Town America - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 PM
On the Charlie Rose show in 2004

Old 04-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Need I post Bill Clinton's "insecure white people" comments from '91?

I don't want to, because then this feud will just go on and on and on, and before we know it we'll be at the convention charging that one candidate is more elite than the other.

Maybe we should go back to Socrates and his views on those best fit to rule.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Good that there is a candidate ready to put these working class yobs in their place.
I guess the joke's on you.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Are these "they" and "them" people
"typical white people" ?
Are you typically this ridiculous?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

What the hell is Obama saying?

People vote against gay marriage because they don't think they can count on Washington?

Count on Washington for what?

To discriminate against gay people?

Is this what Obama's change will be?

To let people know that they can count on him to ban gay marriage?

And put assault guns back on the streets?

Are you for real?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Welcome to FYM, acrobatique. This is an interesting place...with interesting people...
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

He was against the war as an Illinois state senator
This alone wins my vote.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yet another reason this guy scares me.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #99
She's the One

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
You're too easily frightened then.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #100
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Old 04-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

The more I hear Obama talk, I don't see how more people aren't terrified of him become president.

It's fascinating to hear what this guy truly believes about people.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #103
She's the One

Quote:

The more I hear Obama talk, I don't see how more people aren't terrified of him become president.

It's fascinating to hear what this guy truly believes about people.
Maybe we're more scared shitless of another 20 years of war.

Which you should be as a young, draftable man.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #104

Quote:
You must walk around perpetually frightened...all these war-opposers walking the streets freely!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

From Arianna Huffington:

Quote:
Clinton supporters say the darndest things.

Here's Sen. Evan Bayh, commenting on the political firestorm surrounding Barack Obama's remarks -- broken here on HuffPost's OffTheBus -- about economically-depressed small town voters: "The far right wing has a very good track record of using things like this relentlessly against our candidates, whether it's Al Gore or John Kerry. I'm afraid this is the kind of fodder they might use to harm him."

They? They? It's not the far right wing relentlessly using these comments for political gain, Senator. It's your candidate, Hillary Clinton, adopting the frames, lies, stereotypes and destructive clichés long embraced by the likes of Lee Atwater and Karl Rove. She has clearly decided that the road to victory runs through scorched earth.

The question is, if she succeeds, what kind of Party will she be left to lead? She's burning down the village to save it -- or to prove that she would make the best fire chief. But the village won't be saved; only one house will be left standing. A house with room for just two occupants. Hill and Bill.

Clinton's cynical distortion of Obama's remarks is in keeping with her campaign's modus operandi. On the foreign policy front, we've been fed a steady diet of her RNC-patented attacks: No Democrat can be trusted with national security -- except her. Obama hasn't crossed the threshold to be commander-in-chief. Etc.

Now she's turned to the domestic policy section of the RNC playbook, twisting Obama's words in a way that confirms every right-wing demagogic caricature of her own Party.

Yes, as Obama himself admits, he certainly could have chosen his words more artfully. Perhaps he should have borrowed Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign riff about "economically insecure white people who are scared to death." Maybe "scared to death" is less "elitist" than "bitter." But telling the truth, however inartfully, makes you "out of touch"? Give. Me. A. Break.

It has been an article of faith in the Democratic Party over the last twenty years that when small town, working class whites vote for Republicans they're voting against their economic self-interest. And why do they do that? Because every four years the Republican Party comes into those small towns and, to distract folks from the worsening economic situation, trots out a bunch of divisive, hot button social issues: "Let's not talk about why you don't have a job, can't afford health care, or can't send your kids to college; let's talk about gay marriage, school prayer, illegal immigration, and flag burning amendments." And Hillary is following the blueprint.

John McCain may as well take the next six months off, raise some money, maybe take a vacation -- because Hillary Clinton is out there doing his work for him.

This weekend she tried to paint herself as a good old boy, the kind of gal you'd want to have a beer with -- not like that "elitist" Barack Obama: "You know, my dad took me out behind the cottage that my grandfather built on a little lake called Lake Winola outside of Scranton and taught be how to shoot when I was a little girl." After she said this, she took a shot of whiskey. What's next, ads of Obama windsurfing? At 3 a.m.

But before Hillary Oakley runs out and bags her a few more ducks, Andrew Sullivan points out that of the top ten gun-owning states in the country, Obama has won six -- Hillary has won one. Cling to that.

But, of course, this isn't about guns or religion or fear of foreigners. It's about, as David Axelrod says, the (pardon the expression) bitterness and mistrust that stem from voters being "tired of politicians who come around at election time and express their solicitude as part of a tactic and don't follow through on it."

Jumping on the GOP talking points bandwagon, Clinton's new Mark Penn, Geoff Garin said: "These are the kinds of attitudes that have created a gulf between Democrats and lots of small-town and heartland voters that we've been working very, very hard to bridge." Karl Rove, who has devoted his life to making people believe that such a gulf exists, couldn't have scripted it better himself.

If Clinton's Rovian stoop-to-anything tactics succeed -- not at beating Obama but at making him an easier target for McCain -- the price will be paid by the very small-town Americans she is now pandering to. Americans already banished to economic oblivion by the same cynical tactics she's employing will be rewarded with four more years of downward economic mobility.