Obama Slams Small Town America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
the similarities between "novice" Obama and the "novice" Bush of 2000 are small, particularly when they're compared to the i-am-never-wrong style of Bush and the current Senator Clinton.

I have a lot of respect for Obama

and hold a very low opinion of W

in 2000, I would tell anyone that would listen that he was an "empty suit"

the comparison I make,
is in experience to be the Chief Executive.

these are the worst of times
and we don't have the luxury of on the job training
or hoping that a new president will guess right in choosing with political hacks to trust

deep said:
or hoping that a new president will guess right in choosing with political hacks to trust

You know, it's not as if Obama has consistently shown wild errors in judgment and the kind of thinking that would make one wonder whether he would take decision making seriously. At many opportunities he has chosen to explain his reasons and beliefs in far more detail than any other candidate this go around. He has shown himself to be a careful thinker and one capable of understanding and incorporating great nuance into his thought process.

To suggest that he would essentially be clueless on day one and so devoid of judgment that he would be left to merely guess who to listen to is incredibly ridiculous, not to mention amazingly insulting of both him and his supporters.

deep said:

i agree that these are the worst of times,

which is why i want something other than the same old same old that got us in this mess to begin with.

sue4u2 said:

Just what did he say that was so wrong?
In my personal opinion he put it out there correctly. I say this because just this week I told someone I'm still voting for Hillary and he told me I can forget about that. I asked him what he had againist Hillary, be specific, he just said she can't win againist Mccain. There is still racial preducies
Then there was my friend from Florida who couldn't say anything other than 'It's the whole minority thing for some people." I ask her what she meant because she and I, as women, are that minority thing too. She just said not enough people will vote for Obama over McCain.
"But why, I ask. What is it that you are reading or researching about him that you would vote for McCain over Obama. She had no answer. Then another friend told me it's the way the people in her church is voting.(for either Clinton or McCain)
Point is people do cling on to other things when times are hard.

The problem I see with what he said is that he can be interpreted as implying that rural people are all religious freaks, gun nuts, and bigots. Many rural people are indeed any and all of those things. But so are many urban people. That is divisive. I don't think he intended it to be, but sometimes people say stupid things when they don't really understand people and I think that's what he has done here. No one likes to be lumped into broad categories (especially negative ones) -- does it not raise hackles to when you hear someone making not so flattering comments about all blacks, all women, all gays, all Asians, all liberals, all men, all Americans, all Jews, all Muslims, all Christians, etc.? It makes people feel as if they are being seen not as individuals, but as a lump -- and a backwards, bigoted one at that.

I know he wasn't saying this directly to the people in small towns in the rust belt, but during a fundraiser in SF. Of course for many that makes it worse because there is the feeling of being ridiculed by a bunch of rich city people -- it's no fun feeling as if you are the butt of a joke and I do think quite a few rural and small town people feel that way about these comments. In addition he's putting the blame on his not connecting with these people on them instead of him and that isn't exactly going to win anyone over.

I believe he's going to be the Democratic nominee so I will vote for him in November. But I also think he's going to need every vote he can get -- especially in states such as Ohio -- and alienating people with tactless comments isn't the way to do it. He needs to think harder about how he phrases everything because absolutely everything he says is under a microscope and will be used against him if at all possible.

Diemen said:

You know, it's not as if Obama has consistently shown wild errors in judgment and the kind of thinking that would make one wonder whether he would take decision making seriously. At many opportunities he has chosen to explain his reasons and beliefs in far more detail than any other candidate this go around. He has shown himself to be a careful thinker and one capable of understanding and incorporating great nuance into his thought process.

To suggest that he would essentially be clueless on day one and so devoid of judgment that he would be left to merely guess who to listen to is incredibly ridiculous, not to mention amazingly insulting of both him and his supporters.

:applaud: Thank you for that post, very well said!

Diemen said:

You know, it's not as if Obama has consistently shown wild errors in judgment and the kind of thinking that would make one wonder whether he would take decision making seriously.

Yes, he claims to have "sound judgment".

Going back to 2002 when he gave his "Dumb War" speech against the Iraq War when he was an Illinois State Senator.

So if he has good judgment since 2002.

Why is he saying on film in just 30 days ago he uses bone-headed judgement? Not when he was a teenager?
But in 2004?
:huh:

Obama tangles with the press

Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 5:58 PM by Domenico Montanaro

From NBC/NJ’s Aswini Anburajan

SAN ANTONIO, Texas -- Led by the Chicago press corps that has covered Obama for years, the candidate today faced a barrage of questions in what turned out to be a contentious news conference.

Questions centered on why his campaign had denied that a meeting occurred between his chief economic advisor and Canadian officials as well as questions on his relationship with Tony Rezko, a Chicago land developer and fast food magnate, now on trial for corruption charges.

Obama went on to detail his relationship with Rezko, repeating that the land deal had been a "bone-headed" move.

Seriously, how will this play?

A film from March of 2008 in a 30 second commercial in the 2-3 battleground states.

That all this election will be about.

deep said:

Seriously, how will this play?

A film from March of 2008 in a 30 second commercial in the 2-3 battleground states.

That all this election will be about.

And about McCain's 100 years war clip and the "bomb bomb bomb Iran" clip, and calling Sunnis Shi'ites and so on.

Yeah, I noticed that one in ten times I maybe read "couldn't", and for the rest "could", though in this case I fought it did fit well with the irony Martha was looking for. ;)

So the one in ten times probably comes from non-Americans?

anitram said:
And about McCain's 100 years war clip and the "bomb bomb bomb Iran" clip, and calling Sunnis Shi'ites and so on.
Martha and I both live in CA
and all of our electoral votes will go Democratic

(there are some that think McCain can win CA and/or NY, I don't believe it.)

anyways I realize my predictions and speculations are not what the members of this forum want to see happen

I am not sure, how I want the election to turn out

I am just stating what I think will happen based upon 52 years of my life experience following how our political system works.

I don't believe in the power of the secret

wishing for something
will not make it happen

The Obama fans,
god bless you one and all

throw out things like,
"this year all the models are out the windows"

"we are going to see some strange things"

"red states will go blue for the first time"

I just don't buy it at all

I think there is a better chance
that a couple of blue states going red.

Time will tell, the V P picks could have some impact.

It will be interesting to watch.

I hope the Dems get the 60 Senate seats they need to move legislation and get appointments through.

Diemen said:

You know, it's not as if Obama has consistently shown wild errors in judgment and the kind of thinking that would make one wonder whether he would take decision making seriously.

You're right. He's had an amazingly (short) record on decison making. He was against the war as an Illinois state senator, and was a U.S. senator for about one year before setting the groundwork to campaign for president in earnest.

indra said:

The problem I see with what he said is that he can be interpreted as implying that rural people are all religious freaks, gun nuts, and bigots. Many rural people are indeed any and all of those things. But so are many urban people. That is divisive. I don't think he intended it to be, but sometimes people say stupid things when they don't really understand people and I think that's what he has done here. No one likes to be lumped into broad categories (especially negative ones) -- does it not raise hackles to when you hear someone making not so flattering comments about all blacks, all women, all gays, all Asians, all liberals, all men, all Americans, all Jews, all Muslims, all Christians, etc.? It makes people feel as if they are being seen not as individuals, but as a lump -- and a backwards, bigoted one at that.

I know he wasn't saying this directly to the people in small towns in the rust belt, but during a fundraiser in SF. Of course for many that makes it worse because there is the feeling of being ridiculed by a bunch of rich city people -- it's no fun feeling as if you are the butt of a joke and I do think quite a few rural and small town people feel that way about these comments. In addition he's putting the blame on his not connecting with these people on them instead of him and that isn't exactly going to win anyone over.

I believe he's going to be the Democratic nominee so I will vote for him in November. But I also think he's going to need every vote he can get -- especially in states such as Ohio -- and alienating people with tactless comments isn't the way to do it. He needs to think harder about how he phrases everything because absolutely everything he says is under a microscope and will be used against him if at all possible.

This is precisely what I meant when I used the word "slams" for this thread. Obama - whether intentional or not - did lump all rural Americans under their usual stereotype. That wasn't a smart move and that could hurt him in the upcoming primaries.

Pearl said:
This is precisely what I meant when I used the word "slams" for this thread. Obama - whether intentional or not - did lump all rural Americans under their usual stereotype. That wasn't a smart move and that could hurt him in the upcoming primaries.

The primaries are about over

and Obama has the inside track to the nomination

I believe he will get the youth vote
and that is very vocal here

it is these small town people blue collar workers that he really needs

and a decent portion of us old bastards to be successful

I don't see his campaign having the success he needs with those groups

regardless of how Michelle stacks the risers behind the podium

Last edited:
12 reasons 'bitter' is bad for Obama

Mike AllenSat Apr 12, 6:04 PM ET

A Clinton comeback was looking far-fetched. But operatives in both parties were buzzing about that possibility Saturday following the revelation that Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) told wealthy San Franciscans that small-town Pennsylvanians and Midwesterners “cling to guns or religion” because they are “bitter” about their economic status

In fact, this is a potential turning point for Obama’s campaign — an episode that could be even more damaging than the attention to remarks by his minister, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, since this time the controversial words came out of his own mouth.

Here are a dozen reasons why:

1. It lets Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) off the mat at a time when even some of her top supporters had begun to despair about her prospects. Clinton hit back hard on the campaign trail Saturday. And her campaign held a conference call where former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, a Pittsburgh native, described Obama’s remarks as “condescending and disappointing” and “undercutting his message of hope.”

2. If you are going to say something that makes you sound like a clueless liberal, don’t say it in San Francisco. Obama’s views might have been received very differently if he had expressed them in public to Pennsylvania voters, saying he understood and could alleviate their frustrations.

3. Some people actually use guns to hunt — not to compensate for a salary that’s less than a U.S. senator’s.

4. Some people cling to religion not because they are bitter but because they believe it, and because faith in God gives them purpose and comfort.

5. Some hard-working Americans find it insulting when rich elites explain away things dear to their hearts as desperation. It would be like a white politician telling blacks they cling to charismatic churches to compensate for their plight. And it vindicates centrist Democrats who have been arguing for a decade that their party has allowed itself to look culturally out of touch with the American mainstream.

6. It provides a handy excuse for people who were looking for a reason not to vote for Obama but don’t want to think of themselves as bigoted. It hurts Obama especially with the former Reagan Democrats, the culturally conservative, blue-collar workers who could be a promising voter group for him. It also antagonizes people who were concerned about his minister but might have given him the benefit of the doubt after his eloquent speech on race.

7. It gives the Clinton campaign new arguments for trying to recruit superdelegates, the Democratic elected officials and other insiders who get a vote on the nomination. A moderate politician from a swing district, for example, might not want to have to explain support for a candidate who is being hammered as a liberal. And Clinton’s agents can claim that for all the talk of her being divisive, Obama has provided plenty of fodder to energize Republicans.

8. It helps Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) frame a potential race against Obama, even though both of them have found support among independents. Now Republicans have a simple, easily repeated line of attack to use against Obama as an out-of-touch snob, as they had with Sen. John F. Kerry after he blundered by commenting about military funding, “I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it.”

9. The comments play directly into an already-established narrative about his candidacy. Clinton supporters have been arguing that Obama has limited appeal beyond upscale Democrats — the so-called latte liberals. You can’t win red states if people there don’t like you. “Elites need to understand that middle-class Americans view values and culture as more important than mere trickery,” said Paul Begala, a Clinton backer. “Democrats have to respect their values and reflect their values, not condescend to them as if they were children who’ve been bamboozled.”

10. The timing is terrible. With the Pennsylvania primary nine days off, late-deciding voters are starting to tune in. Obama and Clinton are scheduled to appear separately on CNN on Sunday for a forum on, of all topics, faith and values. And ABC News is staging a Clinton-Obama debate in Philadelphia on Wednesday. So Clinton has the maximum opportunity to keep a spotlight on the issue. Besides sex, little drives the news and opinion industry more than race, religion, culture and class. So as far as chances the chattering-class will perpetuate the issue, Obama has hit the jackpot.

11. The story did not have its roots in right-wing or conservative circles. It was published — and aggressively promoted — by The Huffington Post, a liberally oriented organization that was Obama’s outlet of choice when he wanted to release a personal statement distancing himself from some comments by the Rev. Wright.

12. It undermines Democratic congressional candidates who had thought that Obama would make a stronger top for the ticket than Clinton. Already, Republican House candidates are challenging their Democratic opponents to renounce or embrace Obama’s remarks. Ken Spain, press secretary for the National Republican Congressional Committee, said: “There is a myth being perpetuated by Democrats and even some in the media that an Obama candidacy would somehow be better for their chances down ballot. But we don’t believe that is the case.”

Whatever his intention was it doesn't look good. When you run for President everything you say will be scrutinized to the Nth degree-and the truth is that he was given a free pass for quite a while (and also he didn't say anything stupid :wink: -or maybe he did and it just wasn't reported). Yes people are bitter, and rightfully so. But it is a stereotype to say that all are turning into gun toting anti-immigrant bigots. It does come across as elitist judgmental stereotypes, the very thing he stands for being against.

Are people in his church "bitter" and thus turning to their religion? And antipathy towards those who aren't like them? I don't believe that at all, but couldn't some people say that? Is Reverend Wright "bitter"?

It's an unfair implication to suggest that religion will always be used by people in the circumstance he is describing in a negative way. Some use it as as a support system, the only thing that keeps them going sometimes.

Fair or not things like this will work against him. The problem I have with it is that for me it runs counter to everything I believe him to stand for and his openmindedness and rejection of stereotypes. He has certainly faced obstacles in his life, and I would think he would not want others to make stereotyped judgments about how he dealt with them.

and the irony, of course, is that Obama has been crushing the $100m+ Clintons in all of these gun-totin' states.

but, hey, we're back to Rove-style politics, and the only people better at this than Rove are the Clintons. and yet, Obama still seems to be surviving this well, as HRC's numbers continue to drop and he halves her lead in PA.

cling to whatever other articles of fear you want, the fact remains that Obama has soundly beaten Clinton because he's simply a better candidate than she is, and she comes with negatives that he hasn't begun to exploit -- like, you know, Monica Lewinsky -- but that the Republicans surely will, whereas the Clintons have done everything to Obama that the Republicans ever could.

but, go for it, Clintonistas. back to the culture wars. stoke those fires. because *that's* how Democrats continue to go about losing elections.

Last edited:
This is like trying to play chess in the gladiators' arena.

Irvine511 said:
and the irony, of course, is that Obama has been crushing the $100m+ Clintons in all of these gun-totin' states.

but, hey, we're back to Rove-style politics, and the only people better at this than Rove are the Clintons. and yet, Obama still seems to be surviving this well, as HRC's numbers continue to drop and he halves her lead in PA.

cling to whatever other articles of fear you want, the fact remains that Obama has soundly beaten Clinton because he's simply a better candidate than she is, and she comes with negatives that he hasn't begun to exploit -- like, you know, Monica Lewinsky -- but that the Republicans surely will, whereas the Clintons have done everything to Obama that the Republicans ever could.

but, go for it, Clintonistas. back to the culture wars. stoke those fires. because *that's* how Democrats continue to go about losing elections.

And I remember the thread where you said you weren't biased. :rolleyes:

You know there's not much chance I see at this point, Irvine, that your candidate is not going to be the nominee. You chose your candidate for good reasons. You can assume, or not, that I chose mine for my own good reasons. Among the posters here likely to vote Democratic, the Obama supporters overwhelm the Clinton supporters. But I've noticed here and elsewhere that the Obama supporters are pretty thin-skinned for likely winners. Sorry, but you can't expect all of us to shut up and fall in line. It's not a divine coronation, it's a bunch of politicians applying for the same job. Both Democrats have similar platforms, but we're voting for people here, not platforms obviously, and what captures your imagination may not capture mine.

The rustbelters here were noting what we found to be accurate and inaccurate in his statement and how it might (or might not) play here. Except for some of the rural areas, guns are not a big issue. The religion is generally socially conservative Catholic, but there's no big outrage against gay marriage. Generally I find the gay marriage issue one of indifference here. Course push hasn't come to shove here, so I'm not saying it wouldn't be a problem if it was on the ballot, but I don't see anybody trying to make it a ballot issue. (There is a strong prolife contingent here--hence the success of Bob Casey, a son of Scranton) Probably our biggest shame (in my opinion) is the anti-immigrant (read anti-Mexican, anti-Dominican Republic, not a whole lot of people outraged about the illegal Eastern European populace here being that there is a heavy concentration of people with Eastern European heritage here-as well as Irish, Welsh and Italian)

Bitter isn't a word I'd use to describe the people here. Cynical and distrustful, yeah. And any bitterness we might have is directed at the locals who've fucked us over local matters.

I'm not speaking for all of Pennsylvania here. Just the northeast.

What fears do you think we Clinton supporters are embracing? The supporters you cyber-know.

I have lived most of my life in a small town in the Rust Belt.

I would say that Obama is spot on. However, that statement is not his most eloquent moment, and, guaranteed, his detractors will fixate on semantics and try to destroy him over it, by saying that he hates "rural folk." Then we'll just have our usual nasty election cycle, where "rural America" will just end up as ignored as ever.

We seem not to compete on ideas anymore; we compete on semantics.

BonosSaint said:
Among the posters here likely to vote Democratic, the Obama supporters overwhelm the Clinton supporters. But I've noticed here and elsewhere that the Obama supporters are pretty thin-skinned for likely winners.

i find many of the attacks on Obama to be astonishingly unfair, especially because i've always thought the treatment of Hillary was unfair. but this stuff about Obama having to apologize for something Spike Lee said, the Rev. Wright stuff, pretty much everything that has come up seems to be blown way, way out of proportion.

you bring up a good point about him being the likely nominee, which is why it's astonishing to see the Clintons smacking him down in grotesque ways -- have you gotten a sign that says "I'm not bitter"? because the Clinton folks are passing them out in PA right now -- that seems to be paving the way for a McCain victory so that Hillary can rebound for 2012.

much of the thin-skin you talk about comes from the Clinton machine itself and their personal glory at the expense of the party and the expense of what is good for the country. what's going on is that she's going to lose, but she's going to make sure we all lose with her. THAT is where my irritability comes from. and there's the glee she seems to take in tearing down people that reminds me of no one more than W. Bush himself.

[q]Sorry, but you can't expect all of us to shut up and fall in line. It's not a divine coronation, it's a bunch of politicians applying for the same job. Both Democrats have similar platforms, but we're voting for people here, not platforms obviously, and what captures your imagination may not capture mine.[/q]

that's obviously fine. i just wish the case would be made for Hillary as a politician. it hasn't. the narrative about the campaign is now about how Obama isn't going to win. so vote for Hillary. because Obama can't win. that doesn't strike me as a compelling reason to vote for anyone, and it's quite depressing to see, because it's a replay of what politics has devolved into, where people drag themselves to the booth in order to vote for the lesser of two evils, when we're sick of both candidates, and both candidates make us sick, but we've got to vote, and hey, gotta choose one, and so i'll just choose one who seems to be a bit more culturally close to me, because the devil you know ...

when he first started, Obama seemed a step away and a step above all this. it's been disheartening to see the only Democrats able to play the Republican fear game turn their knives on their candidate, and they're probably not going to win anyway!.

and so they lay the framework for 2012.

What fears do you think we Clinton supporters are embracing? The supporters you cyber-know.

the fear that America won't vote for a black man. that he's too risky. too unknown. and you know us. so vote for the known quantity. don't dream. don't strive to be better. keep it simple, and let's give power back to the family that had it before. Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton. how much longer can we keep going?

Just engaging in a little tourism here, us hardscrabble people.:wink: PS, I'm not quite sure Bob Casey is going to be able to turn Obama into a shot and a beer type.

Edit: this post was in answer to my fellow rustbelters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom