Obama should "stop acting like he's white" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Well it's like any minority group and/or group that is hated and discriminated against making anti-female comments, homophobic comments, etc. You would think those who are discriminated against would be far less likely to turn around and do that, but it's not always the case.
just look at the entire new york knick organization

Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Re: Obama should "stop acting like he's white"

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
“If I were a candidate, I’d be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.
http://www.thestate.com/local/v-print/story/177514.html

does he really mean to say that he's not (all over it)? Doesn't he get his nose in everything anyway?

and....is Obaman mixed race? 1/2 black and he's 1/2.......what else?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:12 PM
I thought his Mom was white...I could be totally wrong but I really think he's mixed.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #19
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
I thought his Mom was white...I could be totally wrong but I really think he's mixed.
yeah thats what I thought to.

Ok....so then Jesse Jackson.....Halle Berry should stop acting like she's all black! HA! there, how ya like them apples?!

She's mixed too and I remember a few years ago (yes I know this is off topic but I'm explaining my retort), she won one of the big awards for something and went on and on and ON about how wonderful this was for black women and all that. Now I'm not against that, but she's mixed too! HELLO???!!! If Obama wants to act white or....that just even sounds so stupid!!!! He is white. He's white and he's black. Get over yourself Jesse!!!

Just like Halle...she's black and she's white. Big whoop!

Why does Jesse Jackson ALWAYS have to make it about a color thing? hmmmmmmmmm? Let it go Jesse. Why not try to live with out the color lines?!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

he is biracial. his father is African, his mother is a white girl from Kansas.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiki

yeah thats what I thought to.

Ok....so then Jesse Jackson.....Halle Berry should stop acting like she's all black! HA! there, how ya like them apples?!

She's mixed too and I remember a few years ago (yes I know this is off topic but I'm explaining my retort), she won one of the big awards for something and went on and on and ON about how wonderful this was for black women and all that. Now I'm not against that, but she's mixed too! HELLO???!!! If Obama wants to act white or....that just even sounds so stupid!!!! He is white. He's white and he's black. Get over yourself Jesse!!!

Just like Halle...she's black and she's white. Big whoop!

Why does Jesse Jackson ALWAYS have to make it about a color thing? hmmmmmmmmm? Let it go Jesse. Why not try to live with out the color lines?!
See I don't really see any issue with Halle Berry. Yes she's mixed but clearly she identifies herself as black, and I think people consider her black. Of course it goes back to racism and the Jim Crow days, and 1 drop of black blood = black...but that's where we are. It is ironic, in Obama's case, that he'd be criticized for not acting black when his ancestry is both black & white.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

"I am pleased that the Louisiana state appeals court recognized that the aggravated battery charge brought in this case was inappropriate. I hope that today's decision will lead the prosecutor to reconsider the excessive charges brought against all the teenagers in this case. And I hope that the judicial process will move deliberately to ensure that all of the defendants will receive a fair trial and equal justice under the law," - Barack Obama, September 14.

"When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it's a tragedy. It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions. This isn't just Jena's problem; it's America's problem," - Barack Obama, September 10.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Halle Berry is black, and she is whatever she wants to identify herself as-that's entirely her choice, and not ours, as far as I'm concerned. When you think about it that sort of talk starts to eventually lead to the point that we have with some people saying Senator Obama is "not black enough". Like he said, he's somehow always black enough when he's hailing a cab. Just like Halle Berry is black when she is still turned down for certain movie roles just for that reason-never openly stated of course.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

i think that both Halle Berry and Obama would say that while they are black and white, society will treat them as black due to their physical features -- they both "look" identifiably african-american, and as such are going to have a harder time flagging a cab.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

This is the same issue that always crops up. You have outspoken guys like Bill Cosby, outliers in the black community, telling everyone else to stop letting their kids embrace thug culture, get educated, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, et cetera. On the other side, you have a lot of the black community disliking being told what to do by a privileged celebrity.

I think Obama is in a similar situation. He's not being particularly preachy as Cosby is in public speaking engagements, but I think there's a similar dynamic at play here.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i think that both Halle Berry and Obama would say that while they are black and white, society will treat them as black due to their physical features -- they both "look" identifiably african-american, and as such are going to have a harder time flagging a cab.
I don't think Halle would have much trouble....
Old 09-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

I don't think Halle would have much trouble....

fair enough.

even this gay man would say that he wouldn't kick Halle out of bed for eating crackers ...
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Though, I'm mixed race, I genrally identify as black. It's just easier that way.

To be honest, there's probably not an African American in America who isn't part white.