Obama General Discussion, vol. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess here's my questions about all this: why exactly does it matter one way or another if black people are siding with a black candidate? White people vote for white candidates all the time, is it always because they're white?

I love the way people always assume the reasons behind why someone supports a candidate or party. It's like CNN and their ridiculous thing recently about how women are more likely to vote liberally when they're ovulating or whatever it was they said. Couldn't possibly be that a woman just happens to like their general platform, and could come up with a logical explanation for their stances, no, it has to be for some other weird reason beyond their control. Powell could be supporting Obama because he agrees with his stances, but no, he's black and Obama's black, so naturally let's assume that's the biggest reason he's showing his support.

I know why I'm voting the way I do. And other people know why they're voting the way they do. And I think it ultimately should be left at that. All the presumptions people make about why people vote for someone can get really ridiculous sometimes.

:lmao:

This has to be one of the funniest things I've seen this election. I'm not sure what's funnier, the video or the interview and his explanation as to why the newborn looks like a 1 year old.

Will Trump take the bait?

REALLY?

Huffington Post

Former FEMA boss Michael Brown is critical of President Obama's hurricane response

Michael Brown, the former FEMA director infamously praised by President George W. Bush for doing a "heckuva job" during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, told a local paper that President Barack Obama acted too quickly in mobilizing relief for Superstorm Sandy.

"Here's my concern," Brown told Denver's Westword on Monday, suggesting that the official response was actually making people complacent. "It's premature [when] the brunt of the storm won't happen until later this afternoon."

Obama declared states of emergency all along East Coast states in the path of Sandy on Sunday, well before the storm hit, allowing federal resources to start flowing where governors thought they would be needed. FEMA and local responders were able to pre-position a lot of the material being drawn upon now.

Obama also held a press conference warning people to pay careful attention to the storm.

"This is a serious and big storm," Obama said after meeting with FEMA officials and talking to governors Sunday. "And my first message is to all the people across the Eastern seaboard, Mid-Atlantic, going north, that you need to take this very seriously."

Brown suggested Obama was just trying to look good.

"He probably figured Sunday was a good day to do a press conference," Brown said in his interview.

He also thought Obama's response contrasted poorly to his response to the deadly attacks on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, in which the U.S. ambassador and three others died. "One thing he's gonna be asked is, why did he jump on this so quickly and go back to D.C. so quickly when in ... Benghazi, he went to Las Vegas?" Brown said.

The whole interview is at Westword.

Food Stamp Growth 75X Greater than Job Creation | The Weekly Standard

Food Stamp Growth 75X Greater than Job Creation
Under%20Obama,%20Food%20Stamp%20Growth%2075%20Times%20Greater%20Than%20Job%20Creation_0.preview.jpg

Since January 2009, as the chart shows, a net of 194,000 new jobs have been created. During that same time, 14.7 million have been added to the food stamp rolls.

images

:|

Lets make a deal: Obama should stop complaining about how much of the economy is Bush's fault if the GOP will stop blaming him for problems created by the Bush administration.

Deal?

I think the whole "Fuck this, they both suck" attitude is a cop out, personally. No one is asking you to actively like one party. Just pick the one that's better.

The most important question: who do you want nominating SC justices?

PhilsFan said:
I think the whole "Fuck this, they both suck" attitude is a cop out, personally. No one is asking you to actively like one party. Just pick the one that's better.

The most important question: who do you want nominating SC justices?

But that's the problem... neither of them is better.

In this particular case, I would trust Romney more with the economy, Obama more with social issues... neither on foreign policy.

Court justices? I don't have faith in either guy.

Overall I don't have much faith in our political system whatsoever. I know that Obama's been a shitty president. I don't know if Romney will be or not. That that may be my deciding argument makes me sad.

Courts are usually more social issues. And, of course, things like Citizens United, where we can all agree it needs to be overturned.

In this particular case, I would trust Romney more with the economy

Which aspect of his economic policy do you think is better/more appealing?

I just see the statement like the above tossed around a lot and 98% of the time it is not followed up with anything concrete. The other 2% of the time it's followed up with concrete points, none of which would actually help somebody in your socio-economic bracket.

If people think Romney can run the economy like a business then he's got the advantage there. As limited as my knowledge is, I don't think he can do that. Unless you 'd have the model that the CEO rakes it in and the minions toil away. That's what he is to me. And we "streamline" with layoffs, not executive pay cuts.

In MA the economy didn't have any kind of boom when he was governor. He raised all kinds of fees so that he could say he didn't raise taxes. In general we tend to have a better economy here even when times are bad, like now. We have a Democrat for a governor now but he's not the reason for that. Of course state government vs federal is different.

I've said here numerous times that I'm not thrilled with Obama and I'm very dissatisfied with his job performance. Mostly on the economy. I wish I had a Democratic alternative. But under Romney I believe the upper classes will prosper and the rest will stay the same. And I don't trust the guy, because in my eyes he's a shape shifting opportunist. Of course all politicians are opportunists, but he takes the cake on shape shifting and morphing.

And as a side issue but still important to me, I want a President who can relate to people who are unlike him or her-and that would be most people. Everything I know and have read and experienced about Mitt tells me he can't. He can fake it when necessary. Can Obama relate more? In my eyes yes, naturally and organically more than Romney can. Of course how much can most politicians do that?

If people think Romney can run the economy like a business then he's got the advantage there. As limited as my knowledge is, I don't think he can do that. Unless you 'd have the model that the CEO rakes it in and the minions toil away. That's what he is to me. And we "streamline" with layoffs, not executive pay cuts.

And this is an excellent point.

A government is not a corporation. If you take the view that a government can be run like a corporation, then are the citizens (i) customers or (ii) shareholders? Because there is a vast ocean of difference between the two.

Why are you so discouraged by Obama and the economy mrs Springsteen

>the stimulous pakage could have been bigger? i'd agree with that

But if you're saying he hasn't done enough.....

We know he can sometimes be overly cautious, and more certerist than liberal

He did want another stimulous package,and another particula type of jobs bill--but both got smashed in the House of Representitives!

And you know Mitch McCougnal <sp> said they (Republicans) w..ere determined from day 1 to make Obama a "one term President"
I think the evening after the day's Obama Inauguration a cadre of Republican leadrs and Karl Rov& co began to plan how to obstruct him in every way possible.

And of course the more Moderate Replublicans had been leaving, were pushed out, or soon to be so.

So how much more could Pres Obama have donev( not counting the first thing since we might agree on that)?

Another stimulus package, no. Don't think we need more spending in that regard. I like the auto bailout, think that was a good idea that worked out well.

I don't know nearly enough about economics to say but how about some incentives for private business that don't involve govt spending. Any possible things you could do that don't involve more debt. Maybe the GOP would be more likely to go along with that too. Or maybe not. I get what he's been up against, but that still doesn't cut it as an excuse for me. I think he's a very smart guy who should be able to get things done. As a person I like him immensely.

I want him to be more moderate about the economy, like Bill Clinton. Different times, different circumstances. I get that. But I still want that and think it's necessary.

Washington Post

United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice has pulled her name out of consideration for nomination as the next secretary of state.

“If nominated, I am now convinced that the confirmation process would be lengthy, disruptive and costly – to you and to our most pressing national and international priorities,” Rice wrote in a letter to President Obama obtained by NBC News. “That trade-off is simply not worth it to our country…Therefore, I respectfully request that you no longer consider my candidacy at this time.”

Rice has come under sustained criticism from Republicans both for her handling of questions about the attack on a U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi.

President Obama responded in a statement of his own, saying that he is “grateful” that Rice will continue to serve as ambassador to the United Nations and as a “key member” of his national security team.

“While I deeply regret the unfair and misleading attacks on Susan Rice in recent weeks, her decision demonstrates the strength of her character, and an admirable commitment to rise above the politics of the moment to put our national interests first,” Obama said. “The American people can be proud to have a public servant of her caliber and character representing our country.”

Would have been completely idiotic for him to have nominated her in the first place. Not only does he have a more-than-qualified alternative choice (Kerry) that would get 90 votes in confirmation but it would have been seen as picking a big political fight with the Reps right as his 2nd term gets underway.

But methinks he might not even choose Kerry because that opens that MA Senate seat and Scott Brown could possibly get right back into the Senate.

If I were him, I'd nominate Jon Huntsman. Or at least consider it. But Kerry will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom