Obama General Discussion, vol. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was staged.There's no way the bodygards would let a person grab the president like that.

The Secret Service started coming forward, then he put him down. That's what I read :shrug: He rushed back to his restaurant when he found out Obama was coming, only had 45 min notice so I don't think they had time to stage it.

Someone posted on Gawker-luckily the guy's not a Chris Christie supporter. Now that would be tough to accomplish, no matter how big your guns are. I shouldn't laugh at that, sorry. Wrong to laugh at that.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I would vote for a Republican if one was available that I felt comfortable with. Can't find any.

What would it take for you to feel comfortable with a Republican?

digitize said:
What would it take for you to feel comfortable with a Republican?

Personally I've voted for quite a few Republicans as long as they stay away from the party's extreme right and 99% of their social issues. The problem is that it seems harder and harder to do that these days.

Christie is one Republican I'd consider voting for if he runs in 2016. That is, if I don't like the Democrat nominee. I like his no bullshit and tell it like it is attitude, even if he is hot tempered.

Personally I've voted for quite a few Republicans as long as they stay away from the party's extreme right and 99% of their social issues. The problem is that it seems harder and harder to do that these days.

Agreed.

A Jon Huntsman type, for instance, if I saw a Republican along his lines running, I'd vote for him. If a Republican can come up with an economic plan that isn't the typical trickle-down, tax cuts for the rich sort of thing, and if, as noted, they leave the social issues alone or show some moderation on said issues (can be pro-life without actively trying to ban abortion/stop funding birth control, don't find it their business to try and stop people from marrying, etc.), I would be interested to hear what they had to say and if I think they have enough good ideas, I would vote for them.

Thanks for the pictures, MrsS. The Obama one makes me smile, that's a great story, and I agree with you on the Biden one :lol:. Ah, Biden...*Shakes head*.

My college choir conductor stopped the Secret Service in their tracks during our choir's trip to DC. We were waiting to do a tour of the White House, and one of the girls felt suddenly very sick, and left the line, running toward a tree.

A Secret Service guy started running after her, and Doc stepped toward him: "HEY! What's the matter with you - can't you see she's sick???"

And the SS guy stopped and apologized! :lol:

/cool story cori

yeah i'm not gonna lie either, i too don't vote by party line, but rather by who i think should get the job.

i will admit that the only times i've ever really voted republican have been on a local level in a vain attempt to try to get rid of some of the corrupt politicians in town (who yes, just happen to be democrats - but there are corrupt politicians of ALL political persuasions out there). there have been some rarer times though where i did feel the best person was a republican. here in the south (pre-tea party) sometimes the party lines can blur and the only difference between the candidates is that little letter after their name. but these days? if i were choosing between a new england republican and a southern democrat, i'd probably pick the former (going by nothing but stereotypes here), though i'd obviously need to do a lot of research before picking anyone.

on a bigger level though, i did say back in 2005 if the presidential ticket in 2008 came down to mccain vs. clinton i'd vote for the former. my how things have changed.

I don't want to sound too radical, but it is very difficult for me to see myself voting for a Republican.

I am socially very liberal. Pro gay marriage, pro-choice, secular, agnostic, etc.

I take a pacifist position on national defense, which is to say, you don't send troops into war unless you absolutely, positively have to.

I believe in protecting and improving what conservatives call entitlements - SS, Medicare/Medicaid, Welfare, and even eventually a public healthcare system.

Given these things, it just seems unlikely I'd vote for a Republican. Just being honest.

If a Republican can come up with an economic plan that isn't the typical trickle-down, tax cuts for the rich sort of thing, and if, as noted, they leave the social issues alone or show some moderation on said issues (can be pro-life without actively trying to ban abortion/stop funding birth control, don't find it their business to try and stop people from marrying, etc.), I would be interested to hear what they had to say and if I think they have enough good ideas, I would vote for them.

I agree with that. A moderate on social issues who is fiscally responsible but still sees the importance of govt to help the less fortunate. Believes that we need to have some sort of national health care, as long as every state doesn't have a state system. I'm actually pro life but I wouldn't want someone who actively tried to do those things either. I don't like the term pro life, because I don't believe that pro choice people are anti life. It's not as simple and easy as that. I have my beliefs, but I live in a world where I know that lives and decisions aren't black and white and people face all kinds of circumstances that I've never faced. And I don't want to see women dead from self inflicted or back alley abortions. I think good sound economic policy can reduce and prevent abortions. So can good sex ed and all kinds of other things. I would vote for a Republican who can see all of those complexities.

Someone who is religious is fine with me, but not someone who makes all decisions and pushes policies based upon that. I am fine with someone who has whatever God they believe in help them get through the day and through tough times and decisions. Personally I admire that. But there's a big difference between that and policy.

Someone who completely respects women and who recognizes us as fully functioning adults. I don't want someone all up in my lady bizness and treating me like a patronizing daddy.

Scott Van Duzer, the Obama hugger: Shop facing boycott - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

The owner of a Florida pizza shop says people are boycotting his business because he bear-hugged President Barack Obama on Sunday.

“People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant,” Scott Van Duzer, 46, told POLITICO. “There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.”

Btw the NY Times says that he asked the agents if he could hug Obama (like that I guess) and they said it was ok as long as he didn't take him away.

Scott Van Duzer, the Obama hugger: Shop facing boycott - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

The owner of a Florida pizza shop says people are boycotting his business because he bear-hugged President Barack Obama on Sunday.

“People are saying a lot of bad things and boycotting my restaurant,” Scott Van Duzer, 46, told POLITICO. “There’s no middle line anymore, and that’s exactly what’s wrong with our country right now.”

Btw the NY Times says that he asked the agents if he could hug Obama (like that I guess) and they said it was ok as long as he didn't take him away.

I mean, that doesn't sound very different from what happened to Chick-Fil-A.

There's all kinds of talk that this guy visited the WH in July and that this is all a set up. Maybe some people can't handle a Republican voting for and supporting Obama, it freaks them out. Maybe he's not even really a Republican, I bet he isn't. I demand a voting version of a birth certificate- whatever that is.

He's going to be on Anderson Cooper's talk show today, hopefully he'll get to the bottom of it. Even though he's not all serious on that show and doesn't even wear those cute dorky glasses.

I mean, that doesn't sound very different from what happened to Chick-Fil-A.
to me, there's a big difference between a guy saying he supports a political candidate vs. supporting something many see as a major form of discrimination. had dan cathy done the same (lifted mitt romney up in the air and hugged him), fine.

but i suppose looking at it as politics vs. politics yeah, it's no different. i see nothing wrong with people choosing to boycott this pizza place because he's supporting obama. it's ridiculously hypocritical since those leading the boycott are likely the same who blasted those who dared to say they wouldn't eat at chick-fil-a anymore, freedom of speech, etc., but oh well.

to me, there's a big difference between a guy saying he supports a political candidate vs. supporting something many see as a major form of discrimination. had dan cathy done the same (lifted mitt romney up in the air and hugged him), fine.

Would lifting Mitt Romney up in the air and hugging him not indicate that he probably supports the same major form of discrimination?

I don't think any on the left are going to start campaigns saying everyone should go to this pizza place as a show that you support hate for a certain group of people like Huckabee did in the Chick-fil-A situation. Pretty massive difference.

they would get a huge turnout of Obama supporters if the pizza was a free handout,
they could use some of that government cheese on it.

As an American liberal, I would only be happy to endorse a mass campaign to eat at a restaurant if the restaurant's food were entirely vegan, organic, and locally-grown. And all of the ingredients must be delivered via a bicycle whose rider only eats the sort of food served at this restaurant. And the parking lot must have a machine that tickets anyone who parks a car in it instead of a bicycle, and destroys all non-Prius cars. And the restaurant, including that machine, must be solar powered. And the employees must be hired according to affirmative action quotas, naturally including those for LGBT people. The employees will belong to a union and earn a starting salary of $400,000/year plus benefits, though they must donate at least 90% of that in order to avoid being part of the 1%. Prayer must be punishable by heavy fines (called "taxation") in this restaurant, and use of the pronouns "he" and "she" (and their derivatives) must be enough to get one kicked out. The restaurant must take liberal advantage of government aid; if it's not in itself a welfare queen, then I hate it. All people over 50 must be banned, and the restaurant's speakers must blare out NPR all day. Yep, that would be my kind of restaurant.

I'm pretty sure that restaurant already exists in numerous locations throughout Melbourne's hipster inner hipster north.

I love that-just awesome. Now I have to check out the Romney one

U Didn't Build That by MC 'Bama - YouTube

The video was posted by Hugh Atkin, an Australian lawyer – yes, that explains the odd cameo by Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard – who has been in the viral political video business since 2008.

Atkin is bipartisan in his satire. He uploaded in March “Will the Real Mitt Romney Please Stand Up,” set to Eminem’s “The Real Slim Shady.” That video has been viewed more than 4 million times.

Page 4: 'This Week' Transcript: David Axelrod and Reince Priebus - ABC News

Overheard on This Week yesterday morning:

ROBERT REICH: Can I just say something? Because immigration reform is going to be a central issue for this country for the next 20 years, because the Baby Boomers are aging. We have an aging population. The only way we can improve the ratio of people who are working to people who are retired is taking in young immigrants from the rest of the world. And anybody who doesn't realize that and understand this is on the wrong side of history.

Was he supposed to say that? Admit the Welfare State is collapsing, that Medicare and Social Security truly are Ponzi schemes requiring an ever-increasing flow of "investors."

Oh well it'll work, just look at Europe. Mass immigration is working wonders there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom