Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #706
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Speaking of college costs, I don't understand why student loans are nondischargable in bankruptcy. This is a great article about why it's such insane policy to single out one class of borrower.

One might talk about "responsibility", but the threat of bankruptcy plays a key role in ensuring that lenders are responsible in how they disperse money. Responsibility must cut both ways.

I doubt Obama will do much of importance legislatively if he wins another term since he has little interest in supporting reform of the filibuster, but hopefully this issue can be fixed without becoming a partisan identifier like cap and trade did.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #707
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Speaking of college costs, I don't understand why student loans are nondischargable in bankruptcy. .

a borrower must qualify for every other loan, a car loan, a home loan, even credit cards look at income and credit history.

students can't qualify for loans based on income, no one would or should give them a loan if they could discharge it. also, car and home loans are not discharged in bks. Income and state taxes, and property taxes are not discharged. should people that don't pay their student loans have their degrees taken back?

Old 08-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #708
Blue Crack Addict

Virginia is leaning GOP

Gabby Douglas Says Other Gymnasts Called Her Slave
Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #709
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Purge! Purge! Purity! Purity!
I look forward to the pro-life, pro-traditional marriage speakers at the Dem convention.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #710
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

deep, did you read the article I linked to?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #711
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

I look forward to the pro-life, pro-traditional marriage speakers at the Dem convention.
There hopefully will not be, seeing as it is the 21st century and all.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #712
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
How many of them are married with children?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #713
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
There hopefully will not be, seeing as it is the 21st century and all.
Because of embryology, maternal-fetal medicine and ultrasound technology I'd argue it's actually easier (using reason and science no less!!) to be pro-life in the 21st century. And polls reflect this shift.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #714
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
So how come we still have to deal with Republicans being against things like stem cell research?

Any advancements in medicine and science that can reduce the chances of a woman having to resort to an abortion are a wonderful thing. But we're still not at a perfect world sort of scenario yet in regards to that. Hence, remaining pro-choice.

Besides that, you can be as pro-life as you please. It's still my body, though, and I get to have the final say on what I want to do with it.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #715
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Good luck keeping the Christofascists hand-in-hand with the Koch brothers.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #716
ONE
love, blood, life

It wouldn't surprise me if there were pro-lifers speaking at the DNC. It's not that difficult to find pro-life Democrats, though it's hard for them to have the same sort of passion that most pro-life Republicans have about the issue. As far as anti-gay marriage (pro-traditional marriage? Although I'm pro-gay marriage and I have no issue with "traditional marriage", whatever the hell that means)... I don't think that there are that many prominent Democrats who aren't at least for civil unions, and I do think the party has shifted to the left as a whole on the issue recently.

On the whole, the GOP is definitely the more ideologically compact party, for better or for worse. That certainly has benefits for them. Economically, "the left" (and the Democratic Party, representing fairly broad microcosm of "the left") is fairly varied, from not too far to the left of the GOP to great society types to Chartilists who believe that the solution to everything is printing money.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #717
Blue Crack Supplier

not quite "7 Days in May" but......

From news.uk.msn.com/world

Four US soldiers plotted to assassinate Barack Obama and overthrow the government, a court has heard.

Prosecutors in Georgia said they formed an anarchist militia within the military.

One, private Michael Burnett, has pleaded guilty to manslaughter and gang charges in the killings last December of former soldier Michael Roark and his girlfriend, 17-year-old Tiffany York.

Burnett said that Roark, who had just left the army, knew of the militia group's plans and was killed because he was "a loose end."

Prosecutor Isabel Pauley said the group bought 87,000 dollars (£55,000) of guns and bomb-making materials and plotted to take over Fort Stewart, bomb targets in Savannah and Washington state, as well as assassinate the president.

%^@&%$%^#$#&%@%!#%$# !!!!!!!!!

if this has already be mentioned, sorry

and i do know that Presuident Obama has had the most death threats since he took office
Old 08-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #718
Blue Crack Supplier

from Mothers Jones Magazine

The Republican ticket is flooding the airwaves with commercials that develop two themes designed to turn the presidential contest into a racially freighted resource competition pitting middle class white voters against the minority poor.

Ads that accuse President Obama of gutting the work requirements enacted in the 1996 welfare reform legislation present the first theme....Sharp criticism has done nothing to hold back the Romney campaign from continuing its offensive — in speeches and on the air — because the accuracy of the ads is irrelevant as far as the Republican presidential ticket is concerned. The goal is not to make a legitimate critique, but to portray Obama as willing to give the “undeserving” poor government handouts at the expense of hardworking taxpayers.

....The racial overtones of Romney’s welfare ads are relatively explicit. Romney’s Medicare ads are a bit more subtle....In essence, the ad is telling senior voters that the money they paid to insure their own access to Medicare after they turn 65 is going, instead, to pay for free health care for poor people who are younger than 65.

My dad who was white (& a professional) (died last year) as was my mom and me & sib..... well around 35+/- years ago not sure about Welfar but he had to go on food stamps after he lost his job for several months.

Most people overall on welfare are white.

There by the grace of God/little bad luck and hard work goes those middle class people who have never hade misfortunes like that- in general. Not talking about the financial meltdown we had underv President Bush and it's rough aftermath of the past few years.

OH and btw since baby boomers (born ?46- 60) now 52 - 66 became such a large group in the 80's their Soc Sec Taxes were/are increased not only to pay for the older people getting SS from that time on BUT to also pay for themselves.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #719
Blue Crack Addict

No one for gay marriage has ever been called anti-marriage. Because it would be ridiculous. Because GOP members might have to actually put up an argument, a debate. I will listen as I attend my straight cousin's wedding this month about why gays should not marry. Hopefully the GOP can tell me why I am doing God's work and why the gays should not be allowed. If they do not, why would I ever argue with the hypocrites again?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #720
45:33

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel

Besides that, you can be as pro-life as you please. It's still my body, though, and I get to have the final say on what I want to do with it.
Unbelievable that you could hypothetically live in a state where you don't get a choice. How would you defend that Indy?