Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #661
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl
Jeez, and he endorsed Santorum at one point? And is a birther?

Oh yeah, he's an idiot.
The far left has moron conspiracy theorists, too. They're called truthers.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #662
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:38 PM
Are they very truthy?

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #663
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The far left has moron conspiracy theorists, too. They're called truthers.
Are there any "truthers" who held elected office?

And it should be noted that one of the main proponents of the "birther movement" was also a "truther."
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #664
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Yeah I think the Truther movement is one of those rare movements that comes full circle and encompasses extreme right and extreme left.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #665
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Obama shifts to Ryan education plan

By JIM KUHNHENN and PHILIP ELLIOTT
Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- President Barack Obama charged rival Mitt Romney with being oblivious to the burdens of paying for college on Tuesday, telling young voters in battleground Ohio that his opponent's education policies amounted to having students borrow from their parents or "shop around" for the best deal.

"That's his plan. That's his answer to young people who are trying to figure out how to go to college and make sure that they don't have a mountain of debt," Obama said at Capital University in Columbus. "Not everybody has parents who have the money to lend. That may be news to some folks."
Actually that is very good advice. Obama still has a chance to lose my vote.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #666
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, all those kids who have the grades good enough to break the cycle of poverty but don't live in a college town or have parents that can lend the money, that is excellent advice.

Yay to ignorant trickledownism
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #667
Blue Crack Addict

K - 12 education is something that should be provided at public costs.

Workers, taxpayers should not be required to pick up the tab for higher education. I chose an inexpensive college and worked 2 jobs when I went to college. Granted my grades were not very good. I also chose to pretty much stay away from the students loans they kept encouraging me to take out. I just did not want the debt.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #668
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post

Yeah, that's pretty much my response to Bernie everytime.

This guy has no right to talk bias and the fact that politics is dirty is nothing new. His connections are weak at best, but that's where he makes his living...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #669
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Re: Romney's "ask your parents and shop around" for money for college-oh, THAT'S all I had to do? Gee, why didn't I think of that before, it's so simple!

Oh, wait, maybe 'cause my parents couldn't afford to give me that kind of money. Dumbass.

As for Obama running a dirty campaign...I absolutely LOVE how the Republicans have absolutely no problem getting as dirty and offensive as possible in their political tactics-Obama wasn't born here, he's got terrorist/communist ties, he's a secret Muslim who's going to destroy America. And they even do it to their own side-see the whole "McCain fathered an illegitimate black child" thing from years back.

But the moment the Democrats dare try and play the same game with them (or appear to play the same game): "Waaaaaah, they're being mean to us! They're not playing fair! They're not being honest!"

I'm not saying I've agreed with everything the Obama campaign has done so far-I certainly want them to dig in and criticize the Republicans, but on legitimate issues (and lord knows they have plenty of examples). I don't want them to stoop to the nasty levels of the Republicans and distort the truth.

But still, quit your whining, GOP. You have no moral high ground here.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #670
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
K - 12 education is something that should be provided at public costs.

Workers, taxpayers should not be required to pick up the tab for higher education.
I'm curious: why consider tertiary to be distinct from primary and secondary education?

I must admit, the tertiary education debate in the US comes across as kind of strange to me. There's only one true private university in Australia, and none in New Zealand.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #671
Blue Crack Addict

I know from different countries it may seem odd.

But a K - 12, ages 5 through about 17-18 is all that is required.
Any more education beyond that is voluntary.

My whole life, I knew if I wanted to go to college I (or my family) would have to pay for it. I knew some kids got scholarships based on grades or sports, but my grades ans sport skills would not help me.
I also knew rich kids that could afford very expensive private colleges. They also had other privileges, brand new sport cars, expensive vacations abroad, etc.
The way of the world, those that have more money, have more advantages.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #672
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Actually that is very good advice. Obama still has a chance to lose my vote.
I was at that speech today. It was pretty good!

At any rate, the problem with Romney's statement is not that it is poor advice per se. It just shows a lack of compassion and a kind of tone-deafness about the tough choices many prospective college students have to make. The point Obama was trying to make--and he was definitely politicking, no doubt it and I know that is horrifying and unacceptable in a presidential candidate -- was that he understands what it is to be a struggling student in a way that Romney doesn't.

Ask your parents is the epitome of out of touch. Not everybody's dad is George Romney.

Shop around is perhaps a more acceptable piece of advice, but again suggests that students carrying on about the cost of college education are just whiners unwilling to work, or settle for a less desirable but cheaper school, or are seeking to take out the most loans they can and then be excused from paying it back. If I'm a college student hearing that argument, I'm offended. If I'm someone who long ago finished college and sees the current generation as a bunch of lazy whiners, that argument resonates.

So feeling that Romney has given "good advice" which Obama has dismissed to me is not the strongest reason to reconsider voting for him. If you disagree with Obama's policies regarding higher education. . .that's another matter. But would expect more of you than to be taken in by the cheap politicking that both candidates are displaying on this topic.

I also find it interesting that we feel that K-12 should be publically funded, but not college. Isn't that a rather outmoded idea that no longer reflects the world we live in? After all, there was a time a century or so ago when you could get by with an 8th or even 5th grade education. Times changed, and our expectations of what should be considered basic education changed too.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #673
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Quote:
I know from different countries it may seem odd.

But a K - 12, ages 5 through about 17-18 is all that is required.
Any more education beyond that is voluntary.

My whole life, I knew if I wanted to go to college I (or my family) would have to pay for it. I knew some kids got scholarships based on grades or sports, but my grades ans sport skills would not help me.
I also knew rich kids that could afford very expensive private colleges. They also had other privileges, brand new sport cars, expensive vacations abroad, etc.
The way of the world, those that have more money, have more advantages.
Down here, there is similarly no compulsory education beyond high school level (the school leaving age varies between 15-17 in New Zealand and Australia's states), but I agree with Sean's point about how times have changed; university is increasingly becoming a key component of education, even if it remains voluntary. For many careers, a tertiary education is simply essential.

My whole life, I knew that if I wanted to go to university, I (or my family) would have to pay for it too. I don't see too much difference there. The days of free university are unfortunately gone and not in a hurry to come back (though the Australian government effectively pays most full-time PhD candidates to do their studies). But we certainly don't experience the crushing debt that seems so common in the US and acceptance is based on academic merit alone; nobody can buy themselves into a better tertiary education than a more talented but poorer person. Or at least that's the theory - being able to afford a private high school education, living in a rural area, and other socio-economic factors obviously make that sort of claim a bit questionable.

I guess a lot of this comes down to divergent histories. The US had the private capital to fund private universities. In Australia and especially New Zealand, private capital was very limited in the 19th century and the state was expected to pursue development. This included universities, which were basically beyond the means of local capital. Hence New Zealand actually had a national tertiary education system a few years before it had a national primary or secondary education system.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #674
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So, the election will come down to this.....

1 - Romney will automatically flip Indiana from the Obama column. Nobody is doubting this. It's not a swing state, it's totally red, and the Obama camp knows it's fruitless to try to flip it back.

2 - Romney needs Florida, North Carolina and Ohio. There is no getting around this. You can come up with scenarios where he loses North Carolina and wins by nabbing Virgina, but that makes no sense since North Carolina is redder, etc.

3 - If Romney wins all three of those major swing states, he's still 11 electoral votes short of victory. The only paths to the win from there are to either nab Virginia or get the less likely combo of Colorado and Iowa.

If Romney loses any of Florida, North Carolina or Ohio on election night, it's automatically over. If he gets all three, he'll win with Virginia. If he loses Virginia, we won't know the result until he loses Iowa or loses/wins Colorado (after winning Iowa).

It still seems extremely unlikely that we'll suffer a Romney presidency based on the polling so far this year and strong leads that Obama has managed to hold onto in states like Ohio. However, Romney is starting to trend upward in key swing states and one wonders if his huge advertising advantage will clearly start paying off real soon.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #675
Blue Crack Addict

that is pretty much how I see it
and I expect to see things stay pretty much as they are

of course some October surprise planned or not could shift this 3-5 points and shake thing up.

I think it is more likely that would break Obama's direction more than Romney/ Ryan's way. I've been watching Ohio closely, I can't see how Romney takes that state. And without Ohio, all the other stars and planets would have to line up perfectly.

I think it is possible Obama could win, the GOP keep the House and the Senate could flip GOP with Akin in MO eeking out a win.