Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #616
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Fuck's sake man. Where in the name of all that's holy do you think the money to build all those things comes from?
You're missing the point. It's a symbiotic relationship, they both need each other. Why are some burying their heads?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #617
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
For this was no gaffe, said Romney, this is what Obama believes. This is straight out of the catechism. Obama thinks that had not the government created the preconditions, none of us could succeed. We all depend on government. None of us can make it on our own.
Quote:
Even with this preamble, Romney seems to have it right. Obama sees government as indispensable. Without the roads and bridges that government builds, without the teachers government provides, no one succeeds. It takes a village.
Except both of these are still wrong. He never said that the government alone is responsible for all our success and that they and they alone will be what we need to do well. He DID also note in that speech that private business is instrumental to making things run, too.

All he's saying is that rich people and business owners are going around claiming they got where they are all by themselves, without any help of any kind. And he's saying that's not true. Be it the government, be it teachers, be it your family, your friends, a loyal customer, a private business who supports you, whomever, the fact is there are plenty of people involved in helping someone become successful.

And he was also responding to the people who claim the government had no hand of any kind in their success. They're wrong. At some point and time, you had some interaction with the government, be it on a local, state, or federal level. To claim otherwise is, well, ridiculous.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #618
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
All he's saying is that rich people and business owners are going around claiming they got where they are all by themselves, without any help of any kind.
Name 100 that have claimed that. Let's name and shame 'em.

No, I'll make it easy for you. Name a dozen.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #619
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:54 PM
i just posted a picture of someone who claims that.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #620
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I was going to say, there's one right there.

And if you listen to the CEO/Republican talking points, they say things like that all the time. They go on and on about pulling yourselves up by your bootstraps. That if you're not rich it's clearly because you were lazy and didn't work hard enough. That they worked hard for their success and if you just follow their method you too can live the American Dream. They completely ignore or refuse to talk about all the things that helped them get as successful as they are. Luck, being born into money, knowing the right people, going to the right schools.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #621
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
All he's saying is that rich people and business owners are going around claiming they got where they are all by themselves, without any help of any kind. And he's saying that's not true. Be it the government, be it teachers, be it your family, your friends, a loyal customer, a private business who supports you, whomever, the fact is there are plenty of people involved in helping someone become successful.
i've encountered so many people like this. the ones that bother me the most are those "i pulled myself up by my bootstraps..." type people. (and ha, i just saw you said the same thing in a later post!) regardless, people who think they achieved success all by themselves without help from anyone or anything are just wrong.

i mean yeah, anyone who has a successful business has a lot to be proud of and i don't blame them for wanting to take credit for it. but to take credit for everything as if you've had no help from anyone is pretty much impossible. you'd have to have already been wealthy to not need to rely on any government assistance and even then they got tax credits or something.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #622
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In a blink-and-miss-it moment in the new Total Recall you can see Barack Obama on the bill of a futuristic currency. Which country's currency is not clear.

Still, quite ironic given that the movie, like the Obama presidency, requires the process of brainwashing.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #623
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Still, quite ironic given that the movie, like the Obama presidency, requires the process of brainwashing.
Classy.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #624
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
In a blink-and-miss-it moment in the new Total Recall you can see Barack Obama on the bill of a futuristic currency. Which country's currency is not clear.

Wow, I've been brainwashed? It's all so clear now!

(And you were complaining about lack of civility in the last same sex thread?)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #625
Blue Crack Supplier

my God. Obama's not-real-American un-American disbelief in American Exceptionalism is even affecting our OLYMPIANS!

especially the black ones!

Fox Complains Gabby Douglas And Other American Olympians Not Showing Enough Patriotism - YouTube

thank Jesus Fox News is on the case.

you know when we were appropriately patriotic! 1984. and guess who was president then?

you see?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #626
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:54 PM
What, all their cringe-inducing programmatic babble about "Well I'm just here to, y'know, support Team USA and, y'know, do my best for Team USA and, y'know, be part of this great experience of being here at the Olympics as part of Team USA" wasn't good enough for him?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #627
Blue Crack Addict

Thumbs Up

So is there, like, a checklist or something that these people use to determine who is "most patriotic"? What all does someone have to do to prove how much they love this country?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #628
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland
What, all their cringe-inducing programmatic babble about "Well I'm just here to, y'know, support Team USA and, y'know, do my best for Team USA and, y'know, be part of this great experience of being here at the Olympics as part of Team USA" wasn't good enough for him?

Not when every world event must be shape to fit a predetermined meta narrative.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #629
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
So is there, like, a checklist or something that these people use to determine who is "most patriotic"? What all does someone have to do to prove how much they love this country?
probably. i started to type out a list but it seemed too mean-spirited. i'll just say pulling up yourself by your bootstraps was on there.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #630
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
my God. Obama's not-real-American un-American disbelief in American Exceptionalism is even affecting our OLYMPIANS!

especially the black ones!

Fox Complains Gabby Douglas And Other American Olympians Not Showing Enough Patriotism - YouTube

thank Jesus Fox News is on the case.

you know when we were appropriately patriotic! 1984. and guess who was president then?

you see?
What an embarrassment. The entire segment makes both host and guest look like imbeciles.