Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #511
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500
Strassel: Obama's Imperial Presidency - WSJ.com

Imperial is so harsh, let's just call Barack Obama our first post-constitutional president.
First?

History and context are a bitch aren't they?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #512
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Not to mention, while I agree that executive orders can be heavily abused and think a discussion of Obama's use of them in and of itself is fine, ever consider the fact that part of the reason Obama's doing this is because he's frustrated with Congress not bothering to agree on a damn thing anymore? Seriously, Congress hasn't done shit lately that's worthwhile, or if they have, it's only after everyone made a big fuss and shamed them into it. So I can understand a president saying, "Fuck it, you guys won't help me, I guess I'll have to try and get things moving myself."

There's also a difference between using the orders to actually get legitimate actions done and using them just because you can for the hell of it, too, so, yeah.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #513
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Republicans suddenly worrying about the rule of law?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #514
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Republicans suddenly worrying about the rule of law?
We have baby Jesus on our side. Why don't you go fry in hell you unAmerican progressive swine.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #515
Blue Crack Addict

Filibusters rendered Congress useless anyway.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #516
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Filibusters rendered Congress useless anyway.
Filibusters are an American tradition. Read a history book.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #517
ONE
love, blood, life

Yawn
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #518
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Obama Effect - Theatrical Trailer, Starring Katt Williams, Charles S. Dutton - YouTube

Personally I look forward to the sequel; "The Romney Cure"

But at least the film accurately portrays the sex life of Republicans.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #519
The Fly

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Ray Stevens - Obama Budget Plan - YouTube

~~~

Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #520
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:55 PM
^^Breaking news...bashing of our President includes washed up has been country music singers. That really makes me want to vote for mittens...
Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #521
Blue Crack Addict

abcnews.com

Not a very smart thing to say, even in the full context. Talk about handing them a runaway soundbite.

By Jake Tapper
Did Obama Say, If Youve Got a Business, You Didnt Build That?

Conservatives have been jumping on comments President Obama made in Roanoke, Va., in which he said “if you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that.”

As an example, read what the Heritage Foundation posted at its blog that the comment was a “slap in the face to hard-working Americans conveyed Obama’s belief that it takes a village – a heavily subsidized village – to create that venture you’re profiting from.”

A Romney campaign spokeswoman told Fox the comment was “insulting” to small business owners.

The president’s argument, which is similar to one made by Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, revolves around the idea that business people need the infrastructure provided by the government in order to succeed.

Here’s the full context of what he said:

" We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make some more cuts in programs that don’t work, and make government work more efficiently…We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the wealthy to pay a little bit more …

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president – because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.”
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #522
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Talk about creating a distraction out of nothing and taking this way out of context and blowing it out of porportion. Look at the shiney things over here....ewwwww pretty shiney things....

Could he have said that better sure, but come on.

The screaming headlines should be why Romney won't release his tax statements. Hiding something there Mitt?? I smell a rat.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #523
Blue Crack Addict

I get his point, but the wordsmithing could use some work.

Elizabeth Warren said the same thing but worded it better:

Quote:
“There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless! Keep a hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #524
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Elizabeth Warren is fantastic! I respect her so much! Yes, she said that very well. She needs to run for higher office after she wins her Senate seat in November! She will make a fantastic public servant with an actual moral code of conduct! ! Let's hear it for people that actually have a conscience and integrity!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #525
Blue Crack Supplier

guys, Rush is here to put it all in perspective for us:

Quote:
WARREN: I hear all this, "You know, well, this is class warfare. This is whatever." No! There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody! You built a factory out there? Good for you! But I want to be clear: You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You, uh, were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory and hire someone to protect against this because of the work the rest of us did.

RUSH: Now, a couple of interesting things about this. Let's look at roads, for example. Which came first, the paved road or the car? Well, which necessitated which? I would submit to you that the car came along, and then the government (and all of the people that really made this thing work) built the roads. What Obama and Elizabeth Warren want you to believe is that government is the center of everything, that government starts everything. And government doesn't. Government reacts.

It was the market that built cars.

It was somebody.

It was a bunch of people that built cars.

It was a bunch of people who invented the assembly line to make them efficiently and quickly. Government had nothing to do with it! The second point about this is, you know what this really is? This is a bunch of people that don't count. This is a bunch of people with miserable, meaningless lives who are lying to themselves; trying to tell themselves that they matter. So you had Mr. Big Factory Owner who is Mr. Big Business Guy and Mr. Wealthy in their view.

"Well, he didn't do it on his own! He couldn'ta done it without all of us. We built the roads and we built the regulations. W built the stoplights, and we built the trains!" Yeah? Well, if you did all that, how come you're sitting there with nothing? If you made it all happen, how come you've got nothing? "Well, the rich business guy stole it from me! We're the ones that actually made it all happen."

This is such a crock.

This is a bunch of meaningless people (who know that their lives don't account for anything) trying to matter, and coming up with this ridiculous philosophy that says, "Successful people have not done it on their own. Successful people only exist because of the nameless, faceless, real, true hard workers." You know, before Marx there was no such thing as class-driven economics. If that guy had been aborted, we'd have a whole different world today.

Here's Obama in Roanoke on Friday night...

OBAMA: Look, i-i-if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own.

FOLLOWERS: That's right!

OBAMA: You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, "Well, it must be because I was just so smart!"

FOLLOWERS: (laughing)

OBAMA: There are a lot of smart people out there. "It must be because I worked harder than everybody else." Let me tell you something. There are a whole bunch of hardworkin' people out there!

FOLLOWERS: (cheers and applause)

OBAMA: If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help!

FOLLOWERS: Yeaaaaaah!

OBAMA: There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.

OBAMA: Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges! If you've got a business, you -- you didn't build that!

OBAMA: Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

RUSH: Yeah, well, you know who really invented the Internet? It was the military. It was a DOD project, and Obama hates that. But, folks, look. Here he is repeating it: Roads and bridges. The roads and bridges came after what was necessary, or what made the roads and bridges necessary. They came after that. I'll tell you what. I think it can now be said, without equivocation -- without equivocation -- that this man hates this country. He is trying -- Barack Obama is trying -- to dismantle, brick by brick, the American dream.

There's no other way to put this.

There's no other way to explain this.

He was indoctrinated as a child. His father was a communist. His mother was a leftist. He was sent to prep and Ivy League schools where his contempt for the country was reinforced. He moved to Chicago. It was the home of the radical-left movement. He hooks up to Ayers and Dohrn and Rashid Khalidi. He learns the ruthlessness of Cook County politics. This is what we have as a president: A radical ideologue, a ruthless politician who despises the country and the way it was founded and the way in which it became great.

He hates it.