Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #376
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Stanley Kurtz, author of Radical-in-Chief.

Just throwing that out there.

Besides, supposing this is true, one only has to look at the way Obama has actually carried out his duties to realize that he's far from a radical leftist.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
He's a right-leaning centrist. I know this based on his policy. You're posting about some stupid award nitpicked, irrelevant sideshows instead of looking at the issues.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #378
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Obama’s Third-Party History - Stanley Kurtz - National Review Online

Keep repeating; he's a pragmatic centrist... he's a pragmatic centrist... he's a pragmatic centrist...

You couldn't even be bothered to get on board with what the rest of the Republicans are up in arms about today--the multiple leaks that it is suggested were intentional to burnish the president's image. Even that accusation has more legitimacy than the nonsense you keep dredging up.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #379
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Obama’s Third-Party History - Stanley Kurtz - National Review Online

Keep repeating; he's a pragmatic centrist... he's a pragmatic centrist... he's a pragmatic centrist...
Because he is...because he is...because he is...
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #380
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:46 AM
I don't intend to actually get involved with this thread for the sake of my blood pressure, so take this as a drive-by comment, but Indy, you've never actually met a genuinely left-wing person in your life, have you? Because you seem to have only a vague and distorted notion of what they support, and you seem to somehow think Obama is something other than a right-leaning centrist.

Hell, when even Australia and New Zealand's right wing generally prefers Obama to any Republican alternative, that should tell you something.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #381
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Folks, I have evidence that Mitt Romney and INDY are in fact current members of a group that calls themselves G.O.D. Group. It stand for Good Ole Days. It's a secretive ultra right wing party that have a plan to take over the world and keep us permanantly stuck in the 1950s, back when life was good.

I have all the evidence in my book coming out July 3rd for $19.50.

Act now and you'll get a complimentary DVD explaing how Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh are of the same blood line and how this plan has actually been put in place decades ago by Fred C Koch.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #382
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^Brilliant! It's about time somebody on the "left" got in the game!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #383
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It's about time that the real vetting has begun.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #384
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:46 PM
What evidence is there that Obama is right-leaning? Genuine question.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #385
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
let's pretend this revelation means anything for a moment. so because of something he did years ago, this means he's forever branded as an ultra-left winger? give me a break. people change their views all the time, either as they get older or as a way to get more votes. what about mitt's flip-flopping over the years? oh wait let me guess, that was a change of heart, yet obama will always be a radical lefty?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #386
Blue Crack Addict

In response to FG:

His catering to big business, mostly. The rich have been allowed to keep their ridiculous, deficit-increasing tax cuts and the people responsible for the corporate fraud that got us in deep shit have emerged largely unscathed.

He has also had a relatively aggressive foreign policy that certainly is not reflective of the "far left." And he has been much tougher on immigration than most recent presidents. He also supports capital punishment.

I think the true question is, what makes him left-leaning? He does not oppose Roe v. Wade. He supports gay rights. And I guess his health care plan is somewhat left-leaning in the context of this country, but I would call it moderate at best. What else is there?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #387
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
What evidence is there that Obama is right-leaning? Genuine question.
he won't legalize (or decriminalize) pot

his healthcare plan is a boon for insurance companies, healthcare should be a right, not a profit line for large corporations

he will not use his position to get college costs to something that is fair and affordable for students
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #388
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
In response to FG:

His catering to big business, mostly. The rich have been allowed to keep their ridiculous, deficit-increasing tax cuts and the people responsible for the corporate fraud that got us in deep shit have emerged largely unscathed.
Well, this is why I keep saying he is Wall Street's man in the White House, but supporting the status quo of the taxpayer funded oligopoly of huge banks is pro-graft, not pro-free enterprise. In other words, if we are being cynical, it's payback for his backers.

Quote:
He has also had a relatively aggressive foreign policy that certainly is not reflective of the "far left."
I always have a gripe with the idea that left wing is associated with non-interventionism in foreign policy and hawkishness conversely is somehow indicative of right wingery - Clinton and Blair were the biggest interventionists ever; Bush II was elected on a remit of returning to traditional conservative non-interventionism, before 9/11 changed things; Nixon is blamed for Vietnam even though JFK/LBJ were at least as culpable.

Historically, certainly, conservatives in the US were much more associated with isolationism.

Quote:
And he has been much tougher on immigration than most recent presidents.
I would grant you this one.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #389
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
he won't legalize (or decriminalize) pot
I wouldn't much too much on that. I have the distinct impression Stalinists were also anti-drugs.

Quote:
his healthcare plan is a boon for insurance companies, healthcare should be a right, not a profit line for large corporations
Don't know much about the issue, but again, arguably, he is thinking of potential backers which has nothing to do with ideology but comes back to graft.

Quote:
he will not use his position to get college costs to something that is fair and affordable for students
All relative, isn't it? One of the GOP candidates wants to abolish the Department of Education.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #390
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Interventionist foreign policy is of the Left.
The true conservative or Right position is more isolationist (like Ron Paul).
In fact, aren't neo-conservatives just classic liberals?

Anyhow...Republicans are married to the Military Industrial Complex.
So it has become a Right-wing 'thing' in America. To be fair, these aren't modern distinctions. Most Americans associate the Left-wing with pacifist loons. Obama is like every other recent President we've had not named Jimmy Carter since...maybe even Hoover. Ironically, Carter's was technically a more conservative position than W Bush. But we all know the spirit of what calling Obama a Leftie is...it's really all about income redistribution.