Obama General Discussion, vol. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"We're not hearing the chants of USA! USA!"

Thank god. I always thought that was obnoxious. I guess you'd better take me out back and shoot me for being unpatriotic. And it's not about making other teams "uncomfortable," it's about in Atlanta when the cheering/screaming was distracting to the other athletes. Understandable that the fans were excited and loud, but maybe the lack of chants has a little bit to do with being respectful?

That was Atlanta, and '84 was Los Angeles. Maybe there aren't a lot of chants at these games because there aren't shit-tons of Americans there. I dunno. Call me crazy, but I assume that has something to do with it.

Is Fox happy with the crowd's response to drugs cheat Justin Gatlin winning bronze in the 100m?

Could we have no Olympic spoilers here? I can avoid the Olympics thread but don't expect them here. That hasn't aired here yet, all big events except for tennis are tape delayed here.

I realise this is off-topic to the main point of the thread, but ...

"We're not hearing the chants of USA! USA!"

Thank god. I always thought that was obnoxious. I guess you'd better take me out back and shoot me for being unpatriotic. And it's not about making other teams "uncomfortable," it's about in Atlanta when the cheering/screaming was distracting to the other athletes. Understandable that the fans were excited and loud, but maybe the lack of chants has a little bit to do with being respectful?

That was Atlanta, and '84 was Los Angeles. Maybe there aren't a lot of chants at these games because there aren't shit-tons of Americans there. I dunno. Call me crazy, but I assume that has something to do with it.

There's no national chant I dislike more than the "USA! USA!" chant; it's just become kind of boorish to me. Especially because it seems your frat boy types love to do it anytime, anywhere, no matter how inappropriate it may be. I've been to concerts right here in Melbourne where Americans have struck up "USA! USA!" chants. At Built to Spill last year, two members of the band had to tell one guy to shut up because he was making his country look bad and annoying the rest of the audience.

And this says something, given I live in a country with its own boorish - and totally nonsensical - chant of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, oi, oi!" I've never felt more out of place in my life than when I was eleven and had just moved from New Zealand. I was at school camp and the leaders got the students to do the chant before some sporting activity or another. I'd never heard it before and had no idea what was going on. I just wanted to disappear into a hole in the ground.

At least English cricket fans with all their songs are kind of endearing. New Zealand? Hell, we never even sung the national anthem at school (that was another very baffling thing to 11 year old Ax, hearing the Aussie anthem sung before every school assembly). About the most patriotic thing I did as a kid was talk about the rugby with my mates. You can love your country without needing to prove it by bellowing a mindless chant through any given sporting event.

Yep. I hate the Poms but at least their Barmy Army come up with decent chants at the cricket. They're clever, funny, and go waaaaaay over the average Australian fan's head. What's our retort?

AUUUUUUSSSSSSSSIIIIIIEEE AUUUUUUSSSSSSSSIIIIIIEEE AUUUUUUSSSSSSSSIIIIIIEEE
OOOIIII OOOIIII OOOIIII

I realise this is off-topic to the main point of the thread, but ...

There's no national chant I dislike more than the "USA! USA!" chant; it's just become kind of boorish to me. Especially because it seems your frat boy types love to do it anytime, anywhere, no matter how inappropriate it may be. I've been to concerts right here in Melbourne where Americans have struck up "USA! USA!" chants. At Built to Spill last year, two members of the band had to tell one guy to shut up because he was making his country look bad and annoying the rest of the audience.

And this says something, given I live in a country with its own boorish - and totally nonsensical - chant of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, oi, oi!" I've never felt more out of place in my life than when I was eleven and had just moved from New Zealand. I was at school camp and the leaders got the students to do the chant before some sporting activity or another. I'd never heard it before and had no idea what was going on. I just wanted to disappear into a hole in the ground.

At least English cricket fans with all their songs are kind of endearing. New Zealand? Hell, we never even sung the national anthem at school (that was another very baffling thing to 11 year old Ax, hearing the Aussie anthem sung before every school assembly). About the most patriotic thing I did as a kid was talk about the rugby with my mates. You can love your country without needing to prove it by bellowing a mindless chant through any given sporting event.

The low point of US fan behaviour for me was the 1999 Ryder Cup final, and actually I'd blame the players more than the fans. Some of them were openly vibing up the fans with all that U-S-A, U-S-A shit, it created a really bad impression over here at the time - the impression was, if Europe had come from behind and beaten American, you wouldn't have seen those kind of triumphalist displays.

Ryder Cup Review 1999 - YouTube

Don't get me wrong - the Americans won it fair and square and deserved their result, but some of the players' exultations before the result was even decided were just ungentlemanly and unseemly particularly in a sport that demands concentration.

To be fair, I think after that, certainly the US fans' behaviour improved and lessons were learned.

I had no idea that Americans did that outside of sports events.

That's ...... kind of gross.

Yeah, it is.

I've never gotten into the "rah rah!" chanting, either. If people want to express their patriotism that way, that's their choice, whatever. But to me, it often seems that making a big spectacle/showing of something, be it your love for this country or anything else, strikes me less as sincere and more, "Hey, I love this, do you see how much I love this, I just want to make it clear how much I love this!". It just often tends to come off to me as an overbearing, overcompensating show-offy sort of attitude.

It's like the news stories I hear about people who make a big production out of praying before a football game to "show those who disagree with prayer in school" and stuff. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that's not the point of prayer, to try and make a point to someone or antagonize them.

You can wear all the flag pins you want. You can put a flag in front of your house. You can chant "USA! USA!" until your throat runs dry. It doesn't make you automatically patriotic, nor does it mean you're more patriotic and better than those who don't do such things.

Don't tell me that there are still people out there that still believe Obama is an illegal alien???

Giuliani Wonders Whether Biden Has ‘Mental Capacity’ for Presidency - By Robert Costa - National Review Online

giuliani_in_drag-777617.jpg

Jeez, and he endorsed Santorum at one point? And is a birther?

Oh yeah, he's an idiot.

Yep. He deliberately arranged with the shooter to go into a theater and shoot up the place, and told him to get a child and try and kill a baby while he was at it. All for a gun ban which he obviously swiftly worked to put in place right after the shooting...

...oh, wait.

Yeah, Mustaine? Shut the hell up.

I swear, these Obama-haters and conspiracy theorists are out of control. Some of the things they accuse the President of don't even have a shred of evidence. I remember after Osama was killed, there were some who wondered who arranged for the celebrations in Times Square and in front of the White House. Meaning, those celebrants were planted by the Obama administration as a PR stunt. Oh boy...

ABC News

Hank Williams Jr. Tells Crowd Obama Is 'a Muslim' Who 'Hates the Military'

Controversial country star Hank Williams Jr., who caused a stir last year when he compared Barack Obama to Hitler, is at it again.

At the Iowa State Fair, Williams bashed Obama to a crowd saying, "We've got a Muslim president who hates farming, hates the military, hates the U.S. and we hate him!"

To make his anti-Obama message known, Williams recently released a 10-disc album titled "Old School, New Rules." There is no subtlety in the country star's politically charged song lyrics that blatantly boast "Hey Barack, pack your bags, head to Chicago, take your teleprompter with you so you'll know where to go."

Well at least farming is a new one. Points for coming up with a new one?

Wasn't Obama visiting farms just recently talking about a bill to help them with the drought? He was. Is the GOP supporting that bill?

More embarrassing he was even playing the fair, though Boysz II Men were playing one of the free stages on Sunday.

I think most in the audience were too drunk to even realize he was making those comments, and that probably goes for Hank too

Yes, yes, but what's this about Richard Gere and the Wall Street Scam? What does he have to say about it??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom