Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #211
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
How high should the top tax bracket be?

let's look at the 1990s.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #212
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison

One might wait until it comes out to make that determination, or is your mind already made up w/o seeing the movie?
So I take it you would keep an open mind if some Hollywood director claimed he was making a story that depicted "only the truth" but was based on Michael Moore's "Dude, Where's My Country?"

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #213
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
let's look at the 1990s.
Another question: how much of the total tax burden of the US should the top 1% pay? Because looking at the numbers, it's hard for me to see any logical reason to raise that percent higher than it already is.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #214
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844
In Mrs Garrison's defense, it doesn't seem like many people who disagree with him do so respectfully. He just gets flamed.
If you can't see that it's about his approach and not his stances then you may not be seeing the whole picture.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
I'm amused by the logic that says "hey, debt has gotten us into so much trouble, that we can't get out of it without having some hard times. So let's just ignore it. It'll go away."
No one's saying "ignore it" (at least, not to my knowledge). But we will have hard times, that much is certain, and we do have to muddle through them as best we can. But we can do that while at the same time continuing to come up with possible solutions and compromises to help us get out of these hard times sooner rather than later. I will happily welcome good ideas from anyone who can help get us out of this mess.

I've said it before, my fear isn't that we won't get out of this economic crisis. I think we will. We've been through these issues before and survived (Great Depression, anyone? With an economic crisis AND horrific dust storms just making things worse blended together?), I think we can do it again.

But note the "we've been through these issues before" part. THAT is my big fear. We'll be out of this mess someday, but will we learn so we don't find ourselves here again down the line? That, I don't know.

Quote:
Molen teamed up with D’Souza, whose book “The Roots of Obama’s Rage” piqued his interest. Molen wrote that “Obama: 2016″ will take a fair and balanced look at Obama’s life and career.

He thinks movies like “Farenheit 9/11″ are more propaganda than documentary, and that Hollywood liberals are using films to perpetuate their political agenda — something that he vows not to do.
Funny how he thinks that, but then works with D'Souza above, who seems to do the very same thing he accuses the Michael Moores of the world of doing. We get some of D'Souza's books in at work, I see them when I put them out on the shelves. The titles alone sound as inflammatory as the Moore-type works do.

Conservativsm in and of itself is not the problem, the problem is in the approach. And the same goes for liberalism. I don't listen to Moore anymore than I would someone like Jon Voight. I might agree more with many of Moore's viewpoints, but I don't like the delivery, because I think it turns people off and makes it harder for people to see the liberal side of things. And I'm just not fond of smugness. And I would trust conservatives out there feel the same way about some of their more notable figures.

If you want to work in Hollywood and be conservative, fine. Kelsey Grammar is and he had a pretty good career going there ("Frasier" is one of my favorite TV shows ever, so clearly his politics don't bother me that much). And if anyone is shutting doors in one's face simply because they're conservative in a liberal town, that would be wrong. But again, I don't think it's the views so much as it is the approach.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
So I take it you would keep an open mind if some Hollywood director claimed he was making a story that depicted "only the truth" but was based on Michael Moore's "Dude, Where's My Country?"
I think i have a pretty open mind. I watched Fahrenheit 911 and still tried to keep an open mind, even knowing all the way through that some of it was total BS. I haven't seen or even heard of 'dude wheres my country'.

Here's the deal, with Mr. Obama we already know what we are going to get, with Romney we aren't sure. The only way i would be willing to accept 4 more years of this misery is if i thought the alternative was going to be worse - and I don't.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

President Obama Overrides Congress to Send $192M to Palestinian Authority: ‘Important to the Security Interests of the United States’ | TheBlaze.com

Quote:
President Obama Overrides Congress to Send $192M to Palestinian Authority: ‘Important to the Security Interests of the United States’
Posted on April 28, 2012 at 9:38am by Erica Ritz

President Obama has overridden Congress to lift the U.S. ban on financial aid to the Palestinian Authority, saying it is “important to the security interests of the United States.”

The lifting of the ban means, among other things, that a $192 million aid package that was frozen after the Palestinian Authority tried to circumvent the United States and achieve statehood through the UN will now be delivered.

Times of Israel explains:

The unilateral statehood gambit was strongly opposed by Israel, which said Abbas was seeking to avoid negotiating the necessary compromises and modalities of statehood with Israel. The US indicated it would veto a resolution in the Security Council seeking unilateral recognition of “Palestine,” but the issue has not come to a vote, because the Palestinians were unable to obtain sufficient support in the Security Council. They may yet seek a non-binding endorsement of statehood in the UN General Assembly.

Section 3 of Congress’s Palestinian Accountability Act, which applies to 2012, stipulates that “no funds available to any United States Government department or agency … may be obligated or expended with respect to providing funds to the Palestinian Authority.” Obama has now signed a waiver, however, the White House said Friday, and asked Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to inform Congress accordingly.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor reportedly explained that the funds are aimed at “ensuring the continued viability of the moderate PA government” under the leadership of President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Salam Fayyad.

(Related: Palestinian Authority Music Videos Praise Deadly Coastal Road Massacre that Killed 38 Israelis)

However, skeptics note that much of the Middle East was deemed as “promising” and “moderate” before the “Arab Spring,” but is in danger of becoming far more tyrannical.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

good for Obama.

starving Palestinian children helps no one.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #219
45:33

Local Time: 01:53 AM
His speech at the Correspondents' dinner is fucking hilarious! This guy is awesome!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #220

Kimmel got his start on The Man Show... in Washington that's what we call a congressional hearing on contraception.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Kimmel got his start on The Man Show... in Washington that's what we call a congressional hearing on contraception.
He actually said that?

Oooh. I like . If the Democrats want to go after the Republicans like this in the campaign, I'm all for it.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #222

I posted the vid on my facebook... someone replied "The audience lols, as Obama and his crooks continually screw them in the ass. Thats whats funny about this vid. Ron Paul ftw!"

"Back to the 50's? He may be old, but if its a modern trend to start wars without congressional approval, add more to the debt than any president before him, as well as giving himself the power to detain any US citizen without trial/dury for indefinite detention then I would love to go back to the 50s bro!!!"

I'm being restrained, because I actually don't know anything about American politics.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #223
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
Here's the deal, with Mr. Obama we already know what we are going to get, with Romney we aren't sure. The only way i would be willing to accept 4 more years of this misery is if i thought the alternative was going to be worse - and I don't.
Really? I was of the opinion that it's been decades of misery. Maybe I'm just too young to realize it, but it feels to me like this is a system problem and not a single man problem. With Romney I know exactly what I'm going to get: a man who thinks religion and politics should mix together. Romney is pretty much anti-equality all around. He's also, like most politicians, a coward that changes his views every time the public threatens to stop supporting him.

The truth is we're going to keep going down hill anyway, because it's not the president. It's all of Washington being a freak show.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

I think Romney would just be 4 years (or more) of misery of a different kind. Of course less misery for a select few/many.

He's not some sort of miracle worker or faith healer, that's for sure. Oh well, I'll just borrow money from my parents.

Btw Obama looks great in a tuxedo. I approve.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #225
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Obama's Anger Translator:
Key & Peele: Obama Loses His SH*T - YouTube