Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #766
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 AM
mediaite.com

"I was not hostile,” Brewer told reporters. “I was trying to be very, very gracious. I respect the office of the president, and I would never be disrespectful in that manner.”

She went a step further, though, painting a menacing picture of the President. “I was in the middle of a sentence and he walked away. I wasn’t angry at all. I felt a little bit threatened, if you will, in the attitude that he had.”

Threatened? Seriously?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #767
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:59 AM
threatened? dude just got off a plane, he doesn't have time to stand on the tarmac and talk about whatever nonsense she was saying for however long she wants to. not to mention when you get down to it he's her boss essentially, and she shouldn't be wagging her finger at him like he's a six year old who spilled his cheerios.

and the republicans would be all for teens being forced to stay in school until they're 18 if obama weren't for it. if he'd lowered the age, they'd be against it and say we'd have streets full of eight year olds getting in trouble.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #768
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
. I felt a little bit threatened, if you will, in the attitude that he had.”

Threatened? Seriously?

he's a black man; she's a white woman.

like with Gingrich: it's all dog whistles.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #769
War Child

Of course. Since she's a white woman and he's a black man, any criticism she makes of him must be racist in nature. Good find there
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #770
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm still trying to figure out how the vast majority of Americans go through their day interacting with people of all skin colors and never think twice about it yet on a national level some people can't talk about anything without bringing up race.

Just because you view life through a "color-coded" prism doesn't mean the rest of us do !!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #771
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how the vast majority of Americans go through their day interacting with people of all skin colors and never think twice about it yet on a national level some people can't talk about anything without bringing up race.

Just because you view life through a "color-coded" prism doesn't mean the rest of us do !!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #772
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
what the GOP base wants is for someone to tell off that uppity "boy."
You know, you've said essentially this same thing at least once before. If it's so offensive, why even use language like that? It kind of says more about you than it does any GOP racist boogeyman you're trying to attach it to.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #773
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
You know, you've said essentially this same thing at least once before. If it's so offensive, why even use language like that? It kind of says more about you than it does any GOP racist boogeyman you're trying to attach it to.

i totally disagree. i think language is loaded, i think candidates know what they are doing, the comparison i like to bring up is when W would talk about Dred Scott. that's anti-choice language. just like Newt uses racially charged language.

i also know people who have race very much on their minds, and no, they are not liberals by any stretch of the imagination.

just because you aren't the intended audience doesn't mean that there isn't one. "welfare queen" is a perfect example, given to us by Reagan.

just because you think that race doesn't matter doesn't mean that it doesn't.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #774
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
i totally disagree. i think language is loaded, i think candidates know what they are doing, the comparison i like to bring up is when W would talk about Dred Scott. that's anti-choice language. just like Newt uses racially charged language.

i also know people who have race very much on their minds, and no, they are not liberals by any stretch of the imagination.

just because you aren't the intended audience doesn't mean that there isn't one. "welfare queen" is a perfect example, given to us by Reagan.

just because you think that race doesn't matter doesn't mean that it doesn't.
Personally, I hope you continue to pass on the "code-words" and "dog-whistles" that you read about on the New York Times op-ed page. Because otherwise I'm clueless.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #775
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Personally, I hope you continue to pass on the "code-words" and "dog-whistles" that you read about on the New York Times op-ed page. Because otherwise I'm clueless.

i learned these things in college.

every staffer on the Hill knows what i'm talking about.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #776
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Hell, I've only done one year of community college and I know what you're talking about, Irvine.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #777
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Of course. Since she's a white woman and he's a black man, any criticism she makes of him must be racist in nature. Good find there
It really had nothing to do with her "criticism", she said she felt "threatened", there's a reason she used that word. How could she feel threatened? She was the one pointing fingers in his face.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #778
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
i learned these things in college.

every staffer on the Hill knows what i'm talking about.
I'm sure they do. And the list of code-words and dog-whistles is rather long isn't it?

Medicaid or Welfare reform is code for "we hate the poor." (1996)

Tax cuts are code for racism ("It's not 'spic' or 'nigger' anymore. (Instead,) they say, 'Let's cut taxes." -- Charles Rangel 1994

Enforcing immigration law is code for "Your papers please" and "we're anti-immigrant."

Reforming Medicare is code for "throw granny off the cliff."

Reforming Social Security is code for "the old can fend for themselves."

Reforming our education system is code for "we hate children."

Criticizing burdensome environmental regulations is a dog whistle for "we want dirty water and air."

States rights are code for "reinstate Jim Crow."

I could go on. The problem is liberals believe conservatives only win, not based on the strength of their arguments or accomplishments, but on code-words and dog-whistles.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #779
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
mediaite.com

"I was not hostile,” Brewer told reporters. “I was trying to be very, very gracious. I respect the office of the president, and I would never be disrespectful in that manner.”

She went a step further, though, painting a menacing picture of the President. “I was in the middle of a sentence and he walked away. I wasn’t angry at all. I felt a little bit threatened, if you will, in the attitude that he had.”

Threatened? Seriously?
presumably there was a time set to discuss politics.

it shows how disgusting the republicans are.

dubya went overseas regularly, to places that hated him, and they all had the class to not lecture him on the tarmac. they might have gone at him later, but not the second he arrived.

he's better than me, i'd have said "let's turn this bitch around, we're off back to washington".

she's disgusting.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #780
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

2011 GDP: 1.7%

"It could have been worse."