Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #736
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:08 PM
She said she wasn't interested in staying on into an Obama 2nd term about a year ago - Clinton says no second term as secretary of state | Reuters

Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #737
Forum Moderator

Mmmmkay, well that's totally embarrassing that I didn't know that. Must've been traveling or something at the time...I knew there'd been a few columnists who wistfully speculated about a Hillary-Biden switch (and were roundly ridiculed for it); doesn't sound like that's quite what you've got in mind though.

There have been rumors that Biden had long coveted the SoS position, yes. It'd still be a very unusual thing to do though, and as such would risk making the Administration look weak(er).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #738
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:08 AM
I think they've got nothing to worry about unless Romney is the nominee.

In that case, I think the removal of Geithner and/or Holder becomes much more likely than a Biden/Clinton swap.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

By Bryan Bender, Boston Globe Staff

WASHINGTON -- In hockey it might be termed a save. In politics, it is more like trying to save face.

When Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas skipped a White House ceremony today to honor his championship team, it was seen as an affront to President Obama, whose politics Thomas has made quite clear are not his own.

The criticism he swiftly received for what many in the sports and political worlds saw as petty publicity-seeking seemingly scored.

When Thomas, the Stanley Cup MVP, finally weighed in himself tonight, the avowed conservative and right-wing talk radio enthusiast said he was seeking to make a statement about his unhappiness with official Washington as a whole, not snub the president in particular.

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People,” Thomas, only one of two Americans on the Stanley Cup team, said. “This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.”
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It'd still be a very unusual thing to do though, and as such would risk making the Administration look weak(er).
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about 'the swap' and I know it's unusual, but was thinking that the opportunity to do it in a smooth 'positive' way was there perhaps more than ever before. Hillary said she wasn't up for a 2nd term aaaages ago, so it's not reflex, she is (almost - apart from the nuts) universally believed to have done a great job, so not pushed, and has also said she's got no higher political ambitions, so it's not about that, either her angling for 2016 or Dems positioning. Biden has long wanted that role, he's not the junior partner in the Pres-VP relationship but is surely right at the end of his career, he's a foreign policy guy, it would look like reward and everyone knows that in reality it's a better role than VP. It would or could all look very clean and neat and genuine, leaving Obama with a very interesting vacancy to fill, and probably a few very interesting ways he could fill it. Still - I'm sure it's not going to happen.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #741
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Amusing to see any kind of NHL story make national headlines in the US.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #742
Blue Crack Supplier

so this is the Mitch Daniels we've heard so much about?

still, not as bad as Kenneth Bobby Jindal.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #743
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:08 AM
If you listened to both speeches; who emphasized the sense urgency in dealing with entitlements and a federal budget that spends more than 1.5 trillion dollars more than it takes in every year for as far as the eye can see...

and who didn't?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #744
Blue Crack Addict

Which was the one who said we should take some of that war money we've been spending since 2003 and use it to pay down the debt?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500
If you listened to both speeches; who emphasized the sense urgency in dealing with entitlements and a federal budget that spends more than 1.5 trillion dollars more than it takes in every year for as far as the eye can see...

and who didn't?
I thought his goal was to make Obama a one term president?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #746
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

and who didn't?

Does the man in charge of Bush's budgets have an credibility on this?

I thought he seemed sane and sober. Totally would have dropped out by now had he run. The GOP is all about bloodlust. Maybe a crushing defeat this year will help cooler heads like his prevail in 2016.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #747
Forum Moderator

I skimmed the transcripts, that's about it. Pretty standard fourth-year SOTU, which is to say high on diddly-squat initiatives and low on big vision (hey, worked for Clinton, right?). I definitely would've wished to hear more about deficit reduction but frankly didn't expect to (coattails). Daniels' speech didn't seem particularly ambitious, but it was a decent basic sketch of Republican economic philosophy and read gracious and sincere overall, as is generally his character. Not a deeply depressing night, not an inspiring one either.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #748
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I thought he seemed sane and sober. Totally would have dropped out by now had he run. The GOP is all about bloodlust. Maybe a crushing defeat this year will help cooler heads like his prevail in 2016.
In the words of Nate Silver, "Daniels could unite the Jon Huntsman and Tim Pawlenty coalitions into an unstoppable 7% of the Republican vote."
Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #749
Blue Crack Supplier

what the GOP needs to realize is that only their base thinks Obama is a dangerous Kenyan Muslim Communist.

fully 75% of the population likely looks at him and thinks, "nice guy, trying hard."

and then they come to a variety of conclusions, some of which is that he isn't doing a good job. but the fanatical hatred of him you hear in the primary is utterly detached from reality, as Daniels's milquetoast response -- intended for a mainstream audience ... notice how many kind words he had for Obama at the beginning of the speech -- demonstrated.

as a point of fact: about 30% of the South Carolina voting electorate is African-American. 99% of voters in the GOP primary were white.

the enormous tack to the middle once we have a nominee is going to be quite a thing to see.

also, i think O nicely laid out his case for reelection:

1. we created 3m jobs in the past 22 months
2. the Iraq War is over, just like i promised (and why i beat HRC)
3. i killed Osama Bin Laden

those are pretty powerful arguments.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
also, i think O nicely laid out his case for reelection:

1. we created 3m jobs in the past 22 months
2. the Iraq War is over, just like i promised (and why i beat HRC)
3. i killed Osama Bin Laden

those are pretty powerful arguments.
The argument he won't be making this fall: