Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Someone behind the scenes probably went "Oh shit, a toast! Play the song!"

Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:00 PM
I'm just saying, wouldn't it make sense to play it at the end of his toast when he raised his glass to the queen?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Hey, W would probably have started singing along. "My country 'tis of thee ..... "

Quote:
You'd think that's the sort of tradition detail that someone would tell the president about.

"Hey, when that song starts playing, just stand there and look serious, okay? Thanks."
And try not to throw up on anyone.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Someone was treating him like an Oscar winner whose speech was going long.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

I can not fathom the reaction that would have ensued had W done this.

you're right.

when you're intelligent, articulate, knowledgeable about the world and other cultures, treat other leaders with respect, have an effective foreign policy, treat Muslims like people, and generally have earned the good faith of the rest of the world that you aren't an ignorant, idiot cowboy who invades other countries out of petty revenge or stupidity, people are more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt when you fuck up from time to time.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
I have to say, I really like all the things Michelle has been doing in an effort to make our country less fat.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #67
45:33

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Kate Middleton's skin looked darker than Michelle Obama's in the photo I saw... must have been one hell of a honeymoon!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Obama thinks it's 2008 too, so I don't know what's going on with him. Jet lag? Time machine? Wishful thinking? Bush had that famous gaffe with The Queen, can't remember right now. Maybe The Queen brings out gaffes. She doesn't even put her own damn toothpaste on her own toothbrush, so I wouldn't worry about trying to impress her. OMG, that other time Michelle touched her and they gave her an iPod. The horror.

No crown or tiara needed for Michelle-she looked amazing

Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

it's because HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS TELEPROMPTER TO TELL HIM WHAT DAY IT WAS!!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #70
Blue Crack Distributor

I thought the 2008 thing was pretty funny.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'm confused as to why they started playing the song while he was still speaking.
The cue for the musicians was probably just "to Her Majesty the Queen!" as that would normally be the end of it, but he had more.

Funny watching the coverage of his trip here from both the local news and reporting, and then what seems to be the sum of it on US outlets: His car got stuck in Dublin, he wrote the wrong date in the book, her dress sucked, and he fucked up a toast, so clearly he's making an arse of himself at every turn. That's about it, right? I think a few conservative commentators would genuinely feel very ill if they were here and copping the 24/7 glowing coverage he is actually getting.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

The local news had a guy who was an expert on royal protocol or something, and he said the cue was when he stood and said the magic words: "to the Queen."

Then he said all things considered, Obama handled the mistake well when he realized he done goofed.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Her dress sucked? The white one? I love it and I think she looks so elegant. Even if I don't always like what she's wearing she just carries everything off so well and manages to look great.

The queen always has that pissed off expression so who cares-like I said, she doesn't even put her own toothpaste on. Maybe she even has a butt wiper

My Mom's cousin in Ireland was all gushy about Obama. They loved Clinton too, I remember them talking about him when I met them.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I think a few conservative commentators would genuinely feel very ill if they were here and copping the 24/7 glowing coverage he is actually getting.

eh ... those are just youtube moments, it's not like the trip is being presented as some sort of disaster. some people are trying to make hay of the fact that we've had more disastrous tornadoes and he's still in the UK, but that's certainly not the central narrative. no mater who the president is, he doesn't get much coverage in the US media on these somewhat routine visits around the world unless something noteworthy -- puking on the PM of Japan, maybe -- happens. we're too consumed with domestic debates.

i did read some of his speech from yesterday, and found it fairly impressive:

Quote:
The reason for this close friendship doesn’t just have to do with our shared history, our shared heritage; our ties of language and culture; or even the strong partnership between our governments. Our relationship is special because of the values and beliefs that have united our people through the ages.

Centuries ago, when kings, emperors, and warlords reigned over much of the world, it was the English who first spelled out the rights and liberties of man in the Magna Carta. It was here, in this very hall, where the rule of law first developed, courts were established, disputes were settled, and citizens came to petition their leaders.

Over time, the people of this nation waged a long and sometimes bloody struggle to expand and secure their freedom from the crown. Propelled by the ideals of the Enlightenment, they would ultimately forge an English Bill of Rights, and invest the power to govern in an elected parliament that’s gathered here today.

What began on this island would inspire millions throughout the continent of Europe and across the world. But perhaps no one drew greater inspiration from these notions of freedom than your rabble-rousing colonists on the other side of the Atlantic. As Winston Churchill said, the “…Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, Habeas Corpus, trial by jury, and English common law find their most famous expression in the American Declaration of Independence.”

For both of our nations, living up to the ideals enshrined in these founding documents has sometimes been difficult, has always been a work in progress. The path has never been perfect. But through the struggles of slaves and immigrants, women and ethnic minorities, former colonies and persecuted religions, we have learned better than most that the longing for freedom and human dignity is not English or American or Western –- it is universal, and it beats in every heart. Perhaps that’s why there are few nations that stand firmer, speak louder, and fight harder to defend democratic values around the world than the United States and the United Kingdom.

We are the allies who landed at Omaha and Gold, who sacrificed side by side to free a continent from the march of tyranny, and help prosperity flourish from the ruins of war. And with the founding of NATO –- a British idea –- we joined a transatlantic alliance that has ensured our security for over half a century.

Together with our allies, we forged a lasting peace from a cold war. When the Iron Curtain lifted, we expanded our alliance to include the nations of Central and Eastern Europe, and built new bridges to Russia and the former states of the Soviet Union. And when there was strife in the Balkans, we worked together to keep the peace.

Today, after a difficult decade that began with war and ended in recession, our nations have arrived at a pivotal moment once more. A global economy that once stood on the brink of depression is now stable and recovering. After years of conflict, the United States has removed 100,000 troops from Iraq, the United Kingdom has removed its forces, and our combat mission there has ended. In Afghanistan, we’ve broken the Taliban’s momentum and will soon begin a transition to Afghan lead. And nearly 10 years after 9/11, we have disrupted terrorist networks and dealt al Qaeda a huge blow by killing its leader –- Osama bin Laden.

Together, we have met great challenges. But as we enter this new chapter in our shared history, profound challenges stretch before us. In a world where the prosperity of all nations is now inextricably linked, a new era of cooperation is required to ensure the growth and stability of the global economy. As new threats spread across borders and oceans, we must dismantle terrorist networks and stop the spread of nuclear weapons, confront climate change and combat famine and disease. And as a revolution races through the streets of the Middle East and North Africa, the entire world has a stake in the aspirations of a generation that longs to determine its own destiny.

Remarks by the President to Parliament in London, United Kingdom | The White House

what's not to like? seriously, conservatives. he's saying nice things about white people and Winston Churchill, your two favorite things.

i admit, the view from over here really does present the UK as our real, true "friends" in the world, something distinct from our "allies" or our "neighbo(u)rs" (sorry Canada, you come off like a cute kid sister). and while i am certain the "special relationship" does at times feel one-sided, especially during the horror show of the Bush administration, i think the UK wields a bit more psychic power over here than you might initially think, and no other country has as pervasive an influence on American culture as the UK, in so many ways.

i wish i could say the same thing politically, but it seems as if Israel holds that title.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #75
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:00 AM
^ Yeah...one can't imagine a British PM getting Congress to spring to their feet like trained monkeys with every other turn of phrase. Especially not when his speech is one big defiant finger in the eye to the President (which a British PM wouldn't do).

I did find it rather grating that what coverage we did have of the UK visit seemed almost 100% royalty-focused. I get the symbolic value and all that, but come on, these people are politically irrelevant, he's not there to cut deals with them.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης