Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Earlier this morning, Barack Obama announced plans to visit the state of Missouri this coming weekend, as soon as he finishes his current tour of Europe. Obama made this statement to the traveling press pool who found themselves with the president in the garden of the American ambassador’s house, a stark comparison to the disaster currently unfolding in Joplin after tornadoes decimated that Southwestern town of Missouri.

ABCNews.com reports:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families who are suffering at this moment,” Obama said, announcing his Sunday visit to the region. “And all we can do is let them know that all of America cares deeply about them and that we are going to do absolutely everything we can to make sure that they recover.”

Obama also acknowledged that more storms are headed for the region today, as a warning of new tornado outbreaks was issued for the central region of the United States early Tuesday by an Oklahoma storm prediction center.

The greatest threat for tornadoes stretches from Dallas to Kansas City, according to the report. The area includes the city of Joplin, Mo., where rescue workers are racing to salvage survivors from the wreckage left by a tornado that destroyed an estimated 30 percent of the city on Sunday.

The death toll from the monster tornado that ripped through Joplin soared to 116 by Monday night, making it the deadliest single tornado in nearly 60 years, according to federal records.

On Monday Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon told The Associated Press of the death toll, “Clearly, it’s on its way up.”

The massive Joplin tornado was rated as an EF-4, the second-strongest classification with winds ranging between 166 and 200 mph. The nearly mile-wide funnel touched down at 5:41 p.m. CT Sunday and blasted a six mile wide path through the city and left trapped survivors crying out for help this morning.

The devastation in southwest Missouri that has come as a result of weekend tornadoes is rather stunning, with reports now suggesting that the tornado was nearly three-quarters of a mile wide which traveled straight through town.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Just unexpectedly saw Obama in London. Drove past, yelled something from the back of the car, everyone around me was sure it included a big f-bomb, which I'd very much like to think was true.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Obama dropped the f bomb? What did he say, f the Queen?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

He was in his limo, so lip reading. He was doing the standard smile-and-wave thing, but something about someone where I was standing got his attention, because his expression suddenly changed to a kind of surprised look, and he pointed, and seemed to say something very enthusiastically. It definitely included an 'f'-something word. I don't think it was an f-bomb, I think that was less skillful lip reading and more wishful thinking on the part of those who swear he swore. But I'll happily take the consensus opinion, because if it's true, it means I can say that technically, the US President swore at me, no?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think he meant to shoot Obama, given the rest of the context..so apparently Obama started the war between the haves and have nots. Still, not a responsible statement. He has said some other things, so I guess he doesn't care for Obama. I didn't know the world had stopped-oh yeah, it did last Saturday.

Maybe he hangs with Jon Voight.

The Telegraph

Lars von Trier, who was banned from Cannes for praising Hitler, was not the only one making unsavoury comments at the film festival.

Peter Fonda, the star of Easy Rider, suggested to Mandrake that he was encouraging his grandchildren to shoot President Barack Obama.

“I’m training my grandchildren to use long-range rifles,” said the actor, 71. “For what purpose? Well, I’m not going to say the words 'Barack Obama’, but …”

He added, enigmatically: “It’s more of a thought process than an actuality, but we are heading for a major conflict between the haves and the have nots. I came here many years ago with a biker movie and we stopped a war. Now, it’s about starting the world.

“I prefer to not to use the words, 'let’s stop something’. I prefer to say, 'let’s start something, let’s start the world’.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
He was in his limo, so lip reading. He was doing the standard smile-and-wave thing, but something about someone where I was standing got his attention, because his expression suddenly changed to a kind of surprised look, and he pointed, and seemed to say something very enthusiastically. It definitely included an 'f'-something word. I don't think it was an f-bomb, I think that was less skillful lip reading and more wishful thinking on the part of those who swear he swore. But I'll happily take the consensus opinion, because if it's true, it means I can say that technically, the US President swore at me, no?
I thought you were only kidding. Someone needs to get the royal wedding lip readers on the case.

Freaking? As in "isn't that freaking Earnie Shavers from Interference"?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Peter Fonda
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Found it-I bet it just went in his spam

Peter Fonda, star of “Easy Rider,” called President Barack Obama a “traitor” for the way he handled the aftermath of the Gulf oil spill.

Fonda announced his opinion at the Cannes Film Festival, where he attended the premiere of “The Big Fix,” a feature documentary by Rebecca and Josh Tickell. He is an environmentalist and the co-producer of the film, which tells the story of the explosion of the BP oil rig Deepwater Horizon and the consequences of the spill.

"I sent an email to President Obama saying, 'You are a f------ traitor,' using those words... 'You're a traitor, you allowed foreign boots on our soil telling our military - in this case the coastguard - what they can and could not do, and telling us, the citizens of the United States, what we could or could not do'," Fonda said, as reported by The Telegraph. At a press event at the American Pavilion to promote the film, he also accused BP of being "a bunch of Brits” and said he “thought we kicked them out a long time ago.”

Fonda says he sent the e-mail to Obama last week.

In “The Big Fix,” he appears trying to get on to beaches in Louisiana to monitor the impact of the largest oil spill in American history, and is turned away by BP clean-up personnel.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

nap time, Mr. Fonda.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #55
Forum Moderator

Easy Rider stopped a war, really?

First thing I think of when I hear the name is that Morgan Freeman character on The Electric Company...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 AM
no, it was "Woodstock" :rockon:

we could play, "caption this picture".
Old 05-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Royal family = gross.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:41 PM
YouTube - ‪US President Barack Obama suffers embarrassing royal toast mishap at Queen's banquet‬‏

Oops.

I can not fathom the reaction that would have ensued had W done this.

Luckily for this president it would be looked down upon to suggest that President Obama quite possibly did not recognize "God Save The Queen" as being the British national anthem -- due the same solemn respect as our own.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Hey, W would probably have started singing along. "My country 'tis of thee ..... "

You'd think that's the sort of tradition detail that someone would tell the president about.

"Hey, when that song starts playing, just stand there and look serious, okay? Thanks."
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

I'm confused as to why they started playing the song while he was still speaking.