Obama General Discussion, vol. 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which was the one who said we should take some of that war money we've been spending since 2003 and use it to pay down the debt?

That's Washington math.

Not spending money in the future only decreases the projected future debt.

Try telling the bank you are paying off a $50,000 student debt simply by not buying that new Porsche you were looking at.

And besides, he still wants to spend half of that "peace dividend" taking care of his union buddies rebuilding America.

yes, that peace dividend would go a lot further if we could do away with 'child labor' laws and give all people the 'right to work'

"doing nothing" , should not be a right (unless you are willing to have nothing and get nothing )

The argument he won't be making this fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBe0WXtts8

but we are, though. all the numbers for the fall of 2011 are better than they were in the spring of 2009 and should continue to improve. :shrug:

the GOP argument is "but it wasn't fast enough." which is fair enough. but, objectively, we aren't losing 750,000 jobs a month anymore.

r-OBAMA-JAN-BREWER-large570.jpg

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer traded words with President Obama after she greeted him at a Phoenix airport Wednesday.

Brewer and Obama "spoke intensely for a few minutes" after he landed at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, according to a White House pool report. At one point, the GOP governor shook her finger at the president.

"He was a little disturbed about my book," Brewer told a reporter after the incident, referring to her political memoir, "Scorpions for Breakfast." In the book, Brewer depicted Obama as "patronizing" during an earlier meeting.

"I said to him that I have all the respect in the world for the office of the president," Brewer said. "The book is what the book is. I asked him if he read the book. He said he read the excerpt. So."

Brewer said Obama told her "that he didn't feel I had treated him cordially."

"I said I was sorry he felt that way but I didn't get my sentence finished," Brewer said. "Anyway, we're glad he's here. I'll regroup."

The last time Obama met with Brewer was June 2010, when the Arizona governor visited the Oval Office for a private, 30-minute encounter the White House called a "good meeting." At the time, Brewer said the meeting was "very cordial," but in her book she said Obama had been "condescending."

During Wednesday's encounter, Brewer handed Obama a handwritten letter asking him to sit down with her to discuss the "Arizona comeback."

"I thought we probably would've talked about the things that were important to him and important to me, helping one another," Brewer said of a potential meeting with the president. "Our country is upside down. Arizona was upside down. But we have turned it around. I know again that he loves this country and I love this country."

Whatever he said to her at least he didn't put a finger in her face. She feels he has been patronizing and condescending to her, but it's still very strange to see a governor do that to a President in public.

yahoo.com

WASHINGTON -- High school dropouts, do not fear. The Republican Party will protect you from Barack Obama's efforts to keep you at your desk.

At his third State of the Union Address Tuesday night, the president challenged all states to ban children from dropping out of high school before they turn 18. "Tonight," Obama bellowed, "I am proposing that every state--every state--requires that all students stay in high school until they graduate or turn 18."

Obama wasn't proposing a new federal program, but his use of the bully pulpit to tell local jurisdictions how to run their school districts was enough to make some Republicans, already sensitive to the increasing role of the federal government in education over the past few years, bristle.

"That's none of his business!" said Utah Republican Sen. Mike Lee while speaking to reporters after the speech. "He's not a principal! He's not a public school teacher! He's not a governor, he's not a mayor. These are matters for state and local government."

Standing in Statuary Hall outside the House chamber, Lee, a senator whose rise to prominence was propelled by the tea party, went on to say that there was plenty in Obama's speech that made him want to scream, but he held his tongue.

"I did not want to be Joe Wilson!" Lee said. Meanwhile, Joe Wilson, who shouted "You Lie!" during a presidential address in 2009, was standing directly behind him, about three feet away.

Regulations on school attendance varies from state to state. Twenty states currently meet Obama's standards by restricting students from dropping out before they turn 18-years-old. Some states allow students to drop out at 16 with parental permission and others require an agreement from the school to let them go. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 8.1 percent of students nationwide dropped out of high school in 2009.

Other Republicans in the crowded hall, fed up with Obama's calls for a more intrusive federal system, lambasted the president for even making the suggestion.

"What are you gonna do, give them the electric chair?" asked Arizona Republican Trent Franks. "It should be handled on the parental level."

Phil Gingrey, a Republican from Georgia, agreed, saying students should have the right to leave if they want to.

"To require them to stay in high school to age 18, those who have absolutely no intention of getting an education or value an education are disrupting the other kids in class. I think it's just a government misguided run amok quote honestly," Gingrey said.

There was, however, one Republican willing to stand up for Obama's call: High school dropout Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Oversight Committee.

Issa, who left high school when he was 17-years-old to join the Army, took Obama's call to mean that the federal government should look into ways to encourage states to raise their age limits on dropping out, and he's fully behind it.

"I agree with him," Issa said. "The truth is that maintaining students from dropping out until they're 18, and every possible inducement, rather than getting rid of them at the first possible moment because they become a 'pest,' because perhaps they're not performing well. That could make a real difference in the level of education people get. Do I promote it? Yes."

"Leave no child behind?" he said. "That has a familiar ring to me as a Republican."

"What are you gonna do, give them the electric chair?" asked Arizona Republican Trent Franks. "It should be handled on the parental level."

Yeah, 'cause parents never screw up or ignore their kids or anything.

Phil Gingrey, a Republican from Georgia, agreed, saying students should have the right to leave if they want to.

Education is for losers. Clearly all these Republican politicians have done just fine without it.

"To require them to stay in high school to age 18, those who have absolutely no intention of getting an education or value an education are disrupting the other kids in class. I think it's just a government misguided run amok quote honestly," Gingrey said.

You can't get that kind of logic in a fancy school setting, after all.

seems like she won the imagery from his visit. what the GOP base wants -- as seen with the erection-inducing Gingrichian bloodlust "let 'em die!" anger at the debates -- is for someone to tell off that uppity "boy."

and that's what the photo shows. Brewer wins.

is for someone to tell off that uppity "boy."

and that's what the photo shows. Brewer wins.

People who feel that way, that's just sad

I think the photo shows that she's just lacking in tact, and I'd say class too. I would assume she knew it could be photographed, since it was at the airport and even with security there are big enough lenses. Maybe that's what she wanted.

mediaite.com

"I was not hostile,” Brewer told reporters. “I was trying to be very, very gracious. I respect the office of the president, and I would never be disrespectful in that manner.”

She went a step further, though, painting a menacing picture of the President. “I was in the middle of a sentence and he walked away. I wasn’t angry at all. I felt a little bit threatened, if you will, in the attitude that he had.”

Threatened? Seriously?

threatened? dude just got off a plane, he doesn't have time to stand on the tarmac and talk about whatever nonsense she was saying for however long she wants to. not to mention when you get down to it he's her boss essentially, and she shouldn't be wagging her finger at him like he's a six year old who spilled his cheerios.

and the republicans would be all for teens being forced to stay in school until they're 18 if obama weren't for it. if he'd lowered the age, they'd be against it and say we'd have streets full of eight year olds getting in trouble. :doh:

Of course. Since she's a white woman and he's a black man, any criticism she makes of him must be racist in nature. Good find there :up: :doh:

I'm still trying to figure out how the vast majority of Americans go through their day interacting with people of all skin colors and never think twice about it yet on a national level some people can't talk about anything without bringing up race.

Just because you view life through a "color-coded" prism doesn't mean the rest of us do !!

I'm still trying to figure out how the vast majority of Americans go through their day interacting with people of all skin colors and never think twice about it yet on a national level some people can't talk about anything without bringing up race.

Just because you view life through a "color-coded" prism doesn't mean the rest of us do !!

:up::up::up:

what the GOP base wants is for someone to tell off that uppity "boy."

You know, you've said essentially this same thing at least once before. If it's so offensive, why even use language like that? It kind of says more about you than it does any GOP racist boogeyman you're trying to attach it to.

You know, you've said essentially this same thing at least once before. If it's so offensive, why even use language like that? It kind of says more about you than it does any GOP racist boogeyman you're trying to attach it to.

i totally disagree. i think language is loaded, i think candidates know what they are doing, the comparison i like to bring up is when W would talk about Dred Scott. that's anti-choice language. just like Newt uses racially charged language.

i also know people who have race very much on their minds, and no, they are not liberals by any stretch of the imagination.

just because you aren't the intended audience doesn't mean that there isn't one. "welfare queen" is a perfect example, given to us by Reagan.

just because you think that race doesn't matter doesn't mean that it doesn't.

i totally disagree. i think language is loaded, i think candidates know what they are doing, the comparison i like to bring up is when W would talk about Dred Scott. that's anti-choice language. just like Newt uses racially charged language.

i also know people who have race very much on their minds, and no, they are not liberals by any stretch of the imagination.

just because you aren't the intended audience doesn't mean that there isn't one. "welfare queen" is a perfect example, given to us by Reagan.

just because you think that race doesn't matter doesn't mean that it doesn't.

Personally, I hope you continue to pass on the "code-words" and "dog-whistles" that you read about on the New York Times op-ed page. Because otherwise I'm clueless.

Personally, I hope you continue to pass on the "code-words" and "dog-whistles" that you read about on the New York Times op-ed page. Because otherwise I'm clueless.

i learned these things in college.

every staffer on the Hill knows what i'm talking about.

Of course. Since she's a white woman and he's a black man, any criticism she makes of him must be racist in nature. Good find there :up: :doh:

It really had nothing to do with her "criticism", she said she felt "threatened", there's a reason she used that word. How could she feel threatened? She was the one pointing fingers in his face.

i learned these things in college.

every staffer on the Hill knows what i'm talking about.

I'm sure they do. And the list of code-words and dog-whistles is rather long isn't it?

Medicaid or Welfare reform is code for "we hate the poor." (1996)

Tax cuts are code for racism ("It's not 'spic' or '******' anymore. (Instead,) they say, 'Let's cut taxes." -- Charles Rangel 1994

Enforcing immigration law is code for "Your papers please" and "we're anti-immigrant."

Reforming Medicare is code for "throw granny off the cliff."

Reforming Social Security is code for "the old can fend for themselves."

Reforming our education system is code for "we hate children."

Criticizing burdensome environmental regulations is a dog whistle for "we want dirty water and air."

States rights are code for "reinstate Jim Crow."

I could go on. The problem is liberals believe conservatives only win, not based on the strength of their arguments or accomplishments, but on code-words and dog-whistles.

mediaite.com

"I was not hostile,” Brewer told reporters. “I was trying to be very, very gracious. I respect the office of the president, and I would never be disrespectful in that manner.”

She went a step further, though, painting a menacing picture of the President. “I was in the middle of a sentence and he walked away. I wasn’t angry at all. I felt a little bit threatened, if you will, in the attitude that he had.”

Threatened? Seriously?

presumably there was a time set to discuss politics.

it shows how disgusting the republicans are.

dubya went overseas regularly, to places that hated him, and they all had the class to not lecture him on the tarmac. they might have gone at him later, but not the second he arrived.

he's better than me, i'd have said "let's turn this bitch around, we're off back to washington".

she's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom