Obama General Discussion, vol. 3 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #346
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 PM
People should not be punished for being successful.

Rich people are not a drain of government resources. They do not crowd emergency rooms and expect other people to pay for their health costs.

If gasoline cost 4 bucks a gallon, perhaps rich people should have to pay 7-8 dollars a gallon,
why? just because.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #347
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
Their argument is, "If you tax us less, we'll have more money to spend to create jobs."

But they don't spend. They've refused to invest.

It's not a punishment. We're simply saying, "Well, these tax cuts didn't work, so we're going to end them."

Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 AM   #348
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
I wish more people would remind Republicans and "the rich" that we incurred this deep national debt while they got richer. It is their duty as Americans to help pay it down.
ha, fat chance.

i had actually just been thinking today that i wonder if obama will join the ranks of...franklin pierce.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Their argument is, "If you tax us less, we'll have more money to spend to create jobs."
I like how everyone conveniently omits the fact that money invested in business is subject to business tax deductions.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #350
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I like how everyone conveniently omits the fact that money invested in business is subject to business tax deductions.

government should stop meddling with the magical, sacred free market!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #351
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
government should stop meddling with the magical, sacred free market!
Made me think of this.

Government should get back to governing and allow the markets to manage the economy. Let competition and customers decide the winners and losers of commerce, not politicians and their hand-picked "experts."
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #352
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Government should get back to governing and allow the markets to manage the economy. Let competition and customers decide the winners and losers of commerce, not politicians and their hand-picked "experts."
Tell us when this time truly occured?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not arguing that government should take control, but why should I trust the market? Seriously, what makes the market so infallible?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #354
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'm not arguing that government should take control, but why should I trust the market? Seriously, what makes the market so infallible?
Open and timely access to information helps free markets function more effectively... so, good thing we have such a free, independent and non-corporate media to keep consumers informed.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #355
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Made me think of this.

Major deregulation during the Reagan and Clinton eras was a major factor in the economic collapse that we're riding out over the next couple of years. How is your superfree market working out for everyone, Indie, beyond the super-haves, speculators, and bankers who made off with the cash and left the rest of the taxpayers and business owners holding the bill?

You can keep trotting out the right-wing line about unregulated free markets as long as you like, because you present it like religious ideology and leave common sense and historic fact far behind in the dust.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #356
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Major deregulation during the Reagan and Clinton eras was a major factor in the economic collapse that we're riding out over the next couple of years. How is your superfree market working out for everyone, Indie, beyond the super-haves, speculators, and bankers who made off with the cash and left the rest of the taxpayers and business owners holding the bill?

You can keep trotting out the right-wing line about unregulated free markets as long as you like, because you present it like religious ideology and leave common sense and historic fact far behind in the dust.
Amen
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #357
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post

Was there a more free, less regulated market than mortgage derivative speculation and trading?

That went well.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #358
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:26 PM
The Republicans:
Rich people attempting to make life easier for other rich people.

The Democrats:
Naive, inept rich people bungling things for everybody.

Good luck, fucksticks!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #359
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
My favorite part of looking at this hole, we got in this hole, one billion dollars, uh, one trillion dollars, on tax cuts for the rich under George Bush. We got into this hole two trillion dollars on two wars that were put on a credit card for our children and grandchildren to pay off. And we got into this hole one trillion on a Medicare drug program that was not paid for and was 40% more expensive than its needs to be because it was a giveaway to the drug companies. That's just four trillion right there.

So part of the way you fix this problem is don't do those things!

I hear all this, oh this is class warfare, no! There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory out there -- good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that maurauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea -- God Bless! Keep a Big Hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.

Daily Kos | Elizabeth Warren: "There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody." - ☛ HoloChromaCinePhotoRamaScope‽

Old 09-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #360
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Wow. Good and simple.